Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Magazine quality vs. cost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Jan 24, 2020.

1. borderboy1971

borderboy1971
    from Canada

I recently seen there's a post showing hop up magazine is back in production. I'll be looking into a subscription for this magazine right away. I have never held a hop up magazine in my hand before. It looks like it's maybe a black and white print?
    I personally love the quality photos in the rodders journal, and would also love seeing a great quality magazine in b&w. (Publishing costs being lower I suspect could help it survive?). But I couldn't live solely on a b&w magazine.

My question for you all is this... would a black and white publication ruin it's appeal to you?

2. rustydusty

rustydusty

Yep, not interested in a black and white magazine...

Gasser 57 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

The old magazines printed their black and white pictures sometimes with green or brown ink. That would really add to the vintage look.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm old enough to remember the black and white Rotogravure sections in the middle of Hot Rod where all the feature cars were and the excitement when they first published color photos inside the magazine. Those pages are probably why too many guys think that all cars were a dull black in the 50's too.

Hop Up is a well done magazine but may not appeal to everyone. I've enjoyed the issues that I have though. can probably swing a subscription just from not buying the now discontinued magazines that I bought every month with about two months news stand cost for them.

5. The way it's going, we can't really be that picky. I'll take what I can get.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Hop Up is not a monthly magazine, they will print Annuals and Special editions from what I understand.
    One of my favorite publications.

Mick

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Hop Up is a quality book with great photography. I just received the Annual and it is exceptional.

Mick

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. catdad49

catdad49
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So Cal Speed Shop should have many of the HOP UP issues. Happy Reading!

10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo
    from Brooks Ky

Rodders Journal is a high class magazine and very well done. I like the exposed views and detailed pictures they provide along with listing the specs that pertain to the featured vehicle. A two year subscription (4 mags a year) is about a hundred dollars. Yeah, I liked the cheap subscriptions we used to get, but they went out of business.
    Impress your friends with quality reading material next to the toilet.........

Rodding USA is another pretty good magazine with some good detail and some good tech info. Not cheap but less than Rodders Journal. Com'on guys, wipe the cobwebs out of your wallet ........;)

11. Tim

Tim
    from Raytown Mo

Since no one said it outright not only is it not a black and white magazine but it is an treasure trove of very high quality photography.

The first of the annuals is hitting mail boxes right now. It’s huge and is sure to wow you

j3harleys and lurker mick like this.
  12. ...my only gripe about Rodding USA is that it should be called "32 Ford Rodding USA"
    ...if you like 32 Fords you'd be happy with that mag.

13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Now into their third year, HUB out of Texas is a quarterly with very high quality photos and copy.

14. Kudos to Hop Up for a bitchen website too.

15. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nuthin OT in HU...EVER!

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I miss AutoBuff.......:cool::cool::cool:

Gasser 57 and thirtytwo like this.
  17. bigblockdan

bigblockdan

I have my annual, I received in Jan or so. But I am wanting to make contact with them and cannot find anyway to do so on their website.

18. Tim

Tim
    from Raytown Mo

I’m on a phone but this pops up on every page of the website when I finish scrolling B3F9D2C0-3C14-4510-B0B9-07937BB07BEE.jpeg

also seems you could message them on Instagram?

19. Yep I sent an email about payment and a response back the next day.