Register now to get rid of these ads!

magazine hunt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shadetree, May 12, 2013.

1. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I used to get all the car mags I could I think at one time I had 15 or more coming in a every month and every other month.

Back at Christmas time I went and got a few car mag subscriptions and will list them here.

Muscle Car Review (Love this one)
    Rod & Custom (Love this one)
    Classic Custom Truck (love it)
    Classic Trucks (Love it)
    Mopar Muscle (Will not be renewing it and I'm a Mopar guy)

I will be getting a two year subscription to Hot Rod Magazine, as of late it has been pretty good and with a two year deal I get a free hat haha.

I'm also going to start buying some early Rod & Custom, Hot Rod and a few others as I can find them.

I remember the 80s and 90s had some great stuff it was more about the car and history of how they found them and how and who restored them. I feel like a lot of the car mags now just do the same thing over and over.

Oh and not a magazine but watch Roadkill on youtbue.com I wish they would do this as a TV show.

2. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

90s Car Craft was dreadful

3. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Yeah I have some of those and a lot of times it was one of those magazines I used as a filler to other mags but I didnt care for it.

Popular Hot Rodding was another one that was hit or miss at times.

I did like Hemmings Muscle Car magazine, not sure how it is now. When I got sick I let all my subscriptions go and wish I kept a few.

I also like Mopar Collectors Guide I really thought they were on the cutting edge of the old style mags when they first started but now I think they are running with more of the same stuff.

When I go to renew next time the truck mags, Rod & Custom and Muscle Car Review will be what I renew and I may look for other hot rod and muscle car mags.

I like Rodders Journal but right now its kind of high to a subscription but it would be worth it.

The HAMB has a lot of great info and cars.

4. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

This may sound OT, but I almost always buy Street Chopper on the newsstand. No high dollar bikes, Lots of homebuilt custom bikes, with great 70's style paint jobs on them.
    I really wish there was a car magazine like Street Chopper magazine!

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I think you under estimate the cost of a top quality paint job.. but I still love Goodguy's mag and Rod & Custom..

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I took the first step 23 years ago...

7. A Boner

A Boner

It's time to take the BIG 2nd step, if for nothing else, the good of the H.A.M.B. Is anal negativity a part of being an A hole?

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My aunt bought me a lifetime subscription to Hot Rod Magazine in 1953. In a month, I had collected all the original issues, from 1948 to 1954...
    Started buying Little pages in '54, too...collected all the HONK, R&C, Car Craft...

HRM got away from my interest in 1965 or so, all the magazines came to Grandma's house and she boxed 'em. I found 'em in '68, after her death. Glanced at some, gave all the newer ones to the new GTO pilot around the corner.

R&C got a new direction in '69...Bo Jones's '27 'Modified-California Style' was on the cover, and I subscribed to good ol' R&C. "Stay with the Street" was the new slogan, then replaced by Stroker Medley's "Street is Neat"...
    Then Ray Brock's Rod Action, Street Rodder, and Street Rod out of Washington State...
    My OLD Hot Rod Magazines were my bible, tech articles by Roger Huntington...ads of real hot stuff, like Racer Brown cams...
    Remember the article of Bob Greene's '40 Ford Pickup getting the NEW 265 Chevy transplant? (first Chevy transplant reported on)
    White pickup made the cover that month...Corvette-valve covered orange Chev on the hoist, sign in the windshield reading: "OUT OF SERVICE".

Every time some ass hat says, "Ugh! You got a Chevy in your Ford??? When did that start?" I answer, "Hot Rod Magazine. Before your time... Look it up..."

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

R&C has really been hitting its stride lately. Just wish they would print in on nicer paper, even if it had fewer pages.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  10. wolfie1961

wolfie1961

Once you get into publications, it's going to be hard to find anything but the multi-dollar rides.
    Anytime any hobby starts to become popular, there will always be someone with the coin that has something built by a shop that will blow everything away. You'll always see some really nice home built cars, but it's the shop builds that get most of the print. One only has to look at the "Rat Rodders". What started out as a group of people building car to enjoy them, fast turned into shops turning out trailer queens looking like rat rods. Doesn't matter the premise. It's just the natural progression. THe benefit of this is the shops lead to some new ideas which spur nice homegrown builds.

Of course this is just my humble opinion, and I like I've said before, opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and most of them stink. Most of mine fall into that category.

11. Fenders

Fenders

I get Street Rodder, Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, and Car Craft....
    On some the builds are ads for suppliers, OT later cars, low-tech or no-tech, etc... I read through them in 1/2 hour. No meat on the bone.

Three I'll let run out, the one I will keep is Hot Rod. Sometimes stupid cars, but usually good tech articles or history.

12. A Boner

A Boner

Street Rodders sucks most of the time.....they should dump Brian Brennan, and replace him with someone like Gerry Burger. They need more traditional style street rods and less bling and billit crap, especially the late model cars. They have been going slowly down hill for years.

Hot Rod magazine has some interesting stuff to read, they just need to include at least one traditional style hot rod feature car in EACH issue. After all the title is "HOT ROD".

Rod and Custom magazine, the July 2013 issue center fold panda was really dumb. I hope Aaron Kahan didn't have anything to do with that.
    They should really get their page count up.

13. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti. I'm biased.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You do understand the giant Panda is a mascot/inside joke of the Inland Emporers of which the owner is a member, right?

15. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Tell us more about your mag? I just went to the site and my old laptop wont let me see the pricing of the mags. I like the cover artwork.

16. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

I hadn't read a Hot Rod since the 90s, and didn't care for it then. But somebody gave me a stack from the last year or two, just last weekend. Lots of good reading. I just might have to subscribe.

For a time I was getting maybe a dozen mags a month of various types but now, outside of some free auto body trades, the only thing I get is Car and Driver. It's not what it used to be.

17. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

We're small for now. Print on demand so the individual price is higher but it rocks. Once we get some advertising we hope to be on newstands and the like. Again, we're small but growing.

And we don't do rat rods or pinups if that helps. Only hot rods, customs and everything drag racing.

18. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Sounds like a good magazine and one I will check out. I am one of the few that will admit on the HAMB I do like Rat Rods. I like seeing creativity and what people can come up with.

Do you guys have a facebook page? If so go over on to my car club page Valley Rodders https://www.facebook.com/valley.rodders?ref=ts&fref=ts and post up an add and what ever to talk about the mag and cars.

I have a lot of people from all over the country on the page and a few locals as well.

Good luck with the magazine and I hope to see it on the news stand.

19. ... I dont have the attention span to read magazines, I aint whining about it but I guess I am more of a "hands on" person .... too many projects I guess.

20. A Boner

A Boner

Stupid is stupid.......the joke is on them, and the forever ruined feature car center spread. The white panda sticks out like dog balls against the very slick black Hot Rod.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  21. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

X2 Tim Jones

22. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Need to look up this magazine as well. I have never heard of it, is it on news stands?

23. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I checked out your website, looks like it would be a great newsstand magazine. I would buy it. Best of luck to you in getting it going!

24. spooler41

spooler41

Well guys,after 60 years of automotive mags I'm about to say good by to Street Rodder
    and R&C. As you may have noticed they have changed their format in resent months. I just plane don't like it any more. Hot Rod is still of interest though,some good tech article and without the commercial crap written into it. IMHO R&C and SR have turned into catalogs.

....................Jack

25. spooler41

spooler41

Well guys,after 60 years of automotive mags I'm about to say good by to Street Rodder
    and R&C. As you may have noticed they have changed their format in resent months. I just plane don't like it any more. Hot Rod is still of interest though,some good tech article and without the commercial crap written into it. IMHO R&C and SR have turned into catalogs.

....................Jack

26. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

hummm......Ok Anyway I gave up trying to be one of the cool guys about 40 years ago!

Thanks to all for all the advice on the mags.