Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mag look distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

2. I've never had any personal expierience with them but I've never heard anything good said about them.

3. I'll say something good..... been running one for 2+ years. No issues at all.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. mike bowling

mike bowling

If it's put out by "Joe Hunt Co." that says something - they've been kings of the industry since right after WWII. There was a "new" Hunt magneto in the car that won Indy in 1950.

5. Frames

Frames

Joe Hunt HEI look like mag. 241 Dodge, did not work out of the box. they replaced module N/C. made 166 miles crapped out. They replaced module N/C. Made 4 miles crapped out. Hot Heads gave me my money back. Before I found out they were bad I had purchased another for a Y-block. Did not work out of the box. They wanted to charge me $200. for repairs, settled on $100. I sold it for $300. Thats over a $500. loss. buyer was going to send it to Bubba to fix. A friend with a DeSoto, same grief. A rod builder friend put one on a SBC boat. Stoped in the middle of Lake Michigan. Customer was pissed! I put Mallory on both my engines. Run great.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. Frames

Frames

I think Joe Hunt is turning over in his grave.

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

There is a new one out on the market sold thru Hilborn fuel injection. Not cheap but is twice the dist the Hunt unit is. Primary design is to be compatable with EFI and works equally well as a standard ignition. Advertised as "SCINTILLA USA"

8. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

being in BC like you are, where did you pick yours up from?

9. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

NEVER EVER BUY ONE!!! I live 10 miles from them and its a headache to deal with them. the thing has melted wires, caught on fire 2 times, ate 3 resistors and as many coils. Great idea but a very bad product.

10. Maybe someone can/should make them better? At least function

11. you would think, the only "custom" part of that would be the housing. the rest should be off the shelf ignition stuff. they must have bought from the lowest bidder.
    any one seen the internals? could good stuff be swopped out?

12. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Do a search on here. A lot of bad revues and only a few good ones.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A guy drove up to this 'fifties nite' thing they have every month here, and was relating the woes of his Joe Hunt magneto. I glanced at it, looked like a Vertex...but it was one of the 'Mag lookalikes' we've heard so much about.
    Well, this guy told me he called Joe Hunt HIMSELF, (in Rancho Cordova) and was getting some action.
    I excused myself, it was the best laugh I had around here since the local 'drag race hero' told me about the phone conversation he just had with CLAY SMITH! (that was in 2005)
    These guys must have 'mediums'... Lotsa laughs around here. Must be the distance from the ocean.

14. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks for the feedback guys. Enough negative that I will stay away.

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I understand that Bubba's fix works and it involves moving the coil out of the dist and mounting it externally behind the firewall with a high tension lead back to dist. Maybe Bubba will see this thread and chime in.

16. The problem with these Mag Look distributors, is that the coil is crammed down inside them next to fairly sensitive electronics. The coils have a tendency to leak white noise and RFI which kills the electronic module. That's why the solution to move the coil remotely solves the problem.

lothiandon1940 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Is making that change to the coil hard to do?

18. mike bowling

mike bowling

Wow- pardon my ignorance! This is an eye opener for sure. I've never had first hand experience with a "mag" ($$$), but thought this manufacturer was tops in the field; apparently "was" is the key word.Too bad things went South.

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Strongly recommend contacting GMC Bubba about the conversion. Personally I considered buying one when they first came out and we were still unaware of the problems they were having.
    I decided against it because in today's world, even a street driven hot rod needs to get at least decent fuel economy and the lack of vacuum advance is a significant barrier to fuel economy.

20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yes wasn't thinking about the vacuum advance portion of this equation. I have an msd pro billet in my camaro with mechanical advance. She is a thirsty car. Now the 500hp and the 750 double pumper has a little something to do with that as well.....

21. niteman

niteman
    from mi

I have mallory mini mag and need a rotor, HELP