Register now to get rid of these ads!

made my own homemade whitewalls!! lets see urs!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onetruth1130, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

There is a you tube of this floating around, your method looks easier, so High Marks there.

LOW MARKS for your invisible dust and particle mask cause all that shit is going in your lungs, the transfer point of oxygen into the bloodstream via the alveoli. Been coughing much lately? Do the right thing man, protect your lungs and while you are at it pick up a good pair of safety glasses.

Sincerely,

Daily driver only vehicle, '49 Chevy 1/2 T, '56 235.

Cosmo

2. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Thanks for the tip. I got close but had a twitch and ground the weight on the wheel a bit on accident. I am going to try to grind them closer to the wheel just to see how they look. Once I do that, I will hunt for new tires to get grinding on.

Thanks! Now to get a new set of tires to grind on. These ones are shot. I just wanted to get the technique down. Still have a bit more practicing to do. The wheels look pretty good in the sun... Rattle-bomb "flake"!

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I've had three of my shaved whitewalls lose their tread, I don't think I'd do it again.
    I dunno, but it happened, I didn't imagine it, I've heard from more than one place that the sidewall is weakened from shaving, just putting it out there.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  4. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

What's the sidewall got to do with the tread?

5. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

Thanks! Now to get a new set of tires to grind on. These ones are shot. I just wanted to get the technique down. Still have a bit more practicing to do. The wheels look pretty good in the sun... Rattle-bomb "flake"![/QUOTE]

What is this paint you speak of??? Im thinking about doin my rims red so im trying to see what i should do.

6. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

Haha we used sun glasses for eye safety and yes nooo mask, shame on me, i started out with a mask but it got annoying, so i tossed it :).

7. Don't bother with Michelin tires, especially the ones they put on the Lincolns with the pencil thin whitewall, the white is so thin, you can't grind without going through it... Raised outline white letter Light truck and SUV have a really wide layer of white, but it's a PITA grinding down the raised part.

8. If the whole outside "skin" that is vulcanized to the outside casing, if you get to close to the edge, I suppose it could get goop and gunk and moisture under the tread and it could work loose... You think that's what happened Nads?

9. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

I used Duplicolor Metal-Specks Retro Red. First few coats were Duplicolor Metal Specks Sparkle Silver. Then I cleared over it. I did a shit job of sanding it down, so there are a lot of uneven areas. I am going to take my time on the other 3 wheels.

They also have Blue, Green, and Orange. I am going to do the wheels on the wagon in the Burnt Orange.

10. My07Bobber

My07Bobber

Just to add to this post....I've researched various "white wall" paint. I haven't tried it yet but it's been said that the Elastomeric roof paint, the type they put on top of RV's and metal roofing is the best that's been used so far. The stuff is like $40 a gallon but if you went in on it with asome others that want an inexpensive alternative to WWW's........just sayin......

07Bobber

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The entire tread came off, and yes there was separation where the whitewall line was cut up to.

It's no fun driving on the hard shoulder of the Florida turnpike at 4 in the morning on a shredded tire.

12. Well I'll be darn!! Who would have thought. Good Job!

13. olkarz

olkarz

What brand of white wall tire do you have on your truck? Is there a brand where you guys have experienced the least amount of problems with after they're shave?

14. StayGold54

StayGold54

Hey LowKat,

On the pics you posted, the one labeled "another set"..the tire that is in front of the pennzoil sign on the left...What tire brand / model / size is that tire?? Would greatly appreciate to know this if possible. Looks like that tire combo gave a nice fat white wall!!
    Nice truck by the way man!!;)

15. StayGold54

StayGold54

I forgot to mention, I'm trying to find the widest white i can grind in a 205/75r15 for my chevy...above 2" WW if possible.

16. Will be grinding on a spare tire today, thought of using our tire machine to rotate it while I hold the grinder stationary. Will post update later, good or bad.

17. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Looks like some of these guys are getting great results, and admittedly I've never tried it myself. But I have had a sidewall go on me and it's pretty freaking scary. What kind of mileage and speed you are some of you guys putting on these shaved whitewalls, because it seems to me that there might be a big difference in the occasional trip out to the car show, or just running around town and regular daily use at 70 miles an hour on the freeway. Hell, like I say, I've never tried it but the thought of it does make me nervous.
    Paul

18. The 'Pennzoil' tire is a Kingston H714. Size 215/75/15.
    The bigger one is Lemans Radial A/T. 235/75/15 light truck

[​IMG]

19. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

Lovely tires lowkat, they look sick!!

20. StayGold54

StayGold54

Wow that Kingston has some nice wide white rubber underneath! Thanks for the info lowkat. I didn't get so lucky. FYI to all, Kuhmo tires to me are not good at all to shave. Specifically the "solus" model. Not much white underneath, and the outer line is so wavy..I had to spray over them with Krylon Fusion paint to make them look decent.

21. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I finally got around to doing this. These are cooper el cheapos , the rear one hasn't been shaved yet(obviously) The final product is about 1 7/8" wide.

I used a 36 grit flap disc on a grinder, took the tires off the car and just did them on the ground. That was wayyyy better than on the car for me. *TONS* of rubber dust and grit everyplace, plus it's easy to nick the rim and get sparks, so safety glasses and facemask are a goood idear.

It takes a super light touch. Mine aren't particularly smooth, I need to fix them better but it'll wait.

I did a fairly lousy job on the first one, but it was still OK. The flap disc gets a little gummy and can put black streaks on the white walls that made me gfreak out and think I cut through them, but were just scuffs basically. I used 150 grit on a da or something like that plus bleech white on them and cleaned them up.

TMI I know but what can you do.

Attached Files:

22. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

I wouldnt call it too much info. In this subject, I think guys would like all the info and tips that they can get. :cool:

23. Make the motion of the grinder go from white to black, not black to white and you'll avoid black streaks getting on the white.

24. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

you know I thought about that advice before I finished my last tire today. Once that grinder switches on my head spins and I turn into a demon :D I just forget to do it.

fwiw the rubber we're removing from the sidwall really is a 16th or 32nd of an inch deep, it's nothing.

I'm sure it protects the belts or something but no way is that going to affect the integrity of the sidewall. Of course I'm no engineer and I still drink from a hose, so take my opinion fwiw ;)

I hit the black streaks with 50 grit on a da while I was smoothing out the gouges I made and they come out.

I hope the next scuffs come from driving the thing!!!

25. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

My brither in law did his recently. Same way, took a grinder to the thin whitewalls and made em wider. After the grinding, he went over the sidewall with a wool pad and some spray 9 (all purpose cleaner) and kinda smoothed out the roughness of the grinding disk. You can also use the cleaner and wool pad for cleaning the whites once in a while, cuz they get dirty quick! Anyone else with pictures?

Attached Files:

26. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

Took ur advice to heart. Went from sombrero caps to the "police" style round caps with rings and bowtie.no better way to add to ur hotrod than swith some sweet whitewalls and center caps/wheels. I love how they look!

Attached Files:

27. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Slick !!
    I like both the idea as well as the results..and cool truck too !
    When I ran Wide Whites on my Harley I cleaned the back wheels like that too...just put in gear and hold the brush :eek:!!!!
    Cheers......

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  28. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

Thanks man! Oh white walls look great on bikes! They look good on almost anything...almost. hah

29. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I'm going to give this a shot...

30. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

[​IMG]

Did mine with krylon spray paint. Lasted all summer with no cracks.