Register now to get rid of these ads!

made my own homemade whitewalls!! lets see urs!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onetruth1130, Mar 17, 2012.

1. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

well, thanks to a thread my brother in law showed me, i was inspired to make my own homemade white walls. real whitewalls are way too expensive, and id rather spend my money on things i need for my truck. but, whitewalls, well theyre just such a NEED that when i found out that i could turn my thin white walls into wider whitewalls for only $12 then i went all in. bought my some 50 grit grinding disks and i went to town. i know some think this is kind of a dumb and dangerous idea but, eh why not, ill give it a shot!! alls we did is put the truck in reverse, since its the lowest gear and did some grinding. it honestly took no more than 10 minutes to get to the white on the tire, went light as to not take too much rubber off. and honestly, the truck looks fantastic! any one else do this and want to share theyre homemade white walls pics??

Attached Files:

2. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Came out real nice.
    Are you going to treat them with anything?

3. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

4. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

i guess i should ey?? any recommendations??

5. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

WOW! The picture of the final product looks great. Good job.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

not a bad job. how did you keep from getting too close to rim, just freehand? have to paint whitewalls to give a good final look? need some different center caps for those rims.

7. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Im thinking you should, but I dont have any suggestions.
    I was using black magic on my wide whites but they seemed to attract and hold the dirt more than anything. So I threw that stuff out.
    I just ended up scrubbing them clean every other weekend without putting anything on them.

8. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

no, well thats just where the white rubber stops. so it makes a nice edge all by itself. both on the inner and outter edge. i guess any tire with a thin white wall or white lettering, theres like a 6 or so inch white rubber strip. so if u grind down the thin layer of black rubber, u get a nice wide white wall. and i did no paint what soever, except it if u go too far past the white then ull go back to black rubber. then thats the parts u might have to touch up with white paint. dont like the center caps much?? ill keep em for now. got other things on my mind, like disk brakes up front.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Nothing wrong with those center caps...
    I think it all looks good... Nice job!!... :)

10. j-dogg

j-dogg

11. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

how much rubber are you actually taking off? i've seen the video of this procedure. it just seems like the sidewall would get a bit thin. how's it feel? side walls are relatively thin to begin with.

12. robber

robber

I've heard of people doing this, but I didn't think of putting the vehicle on stands and powering up the procedure that way...they turned out sweet and look really trick for a fraction of the cost. I believe there will come a day when I give this a try myself. Thanks for sharing:)

13. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

Id say 1/8 of an inch at most. It rode great and i havent gotten a flat tire, yet. And lets hope its never the case! Seeing my truck with the tire like that really made a huge diff tho and it sure is a money saver, which im a huge fan of! Im down for being a budget hotrodder! Moneys tight these days so anything to keep more of it in my pocket. So as far as i know, it holding air and lookin good. If they ever blow, you guys will see a thread saying " homemade whitewalls a huge fail!" Haha but im keepin my fingers crossed. And thanks for kinds words!!

14. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

hey Rob,when i do a set, i'll have to have ya over---chuck

15. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

Sure thing robber!! Id love to see some pics when u do it. It honestly is a saturday afternoon kind of job. Id say it could take u no more than 1.5 hours if u prepare good! Then another hour or so to admire ur own handywork! :)

16. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

17. redsdad

redsdad

IMHO, the strength of the tire is in the fabric inside (the cords), not the rubber. The small amount removed should have little or no impact on the tire strength.

18. mob53

mob53

Wow, that actually came out pretty nice. I might have to give that a shot until I can afford real white walls. Thanks posting.

19. I did this trick on an old weather cracked tire and it turned out pretty good. I haven't tried it on a good tire....yet!

Yours turned out nice!

20. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

sweet ride satanachia!! what is it?? so i took more pics this afternoon just to get some better angles for u guys to see! enjoy! if anyone else has some sweet whitewall pics, wether homemade or not, id love to see ur rides with them!! truly its the cherry on top! loving it!

Attached Files:

31Dodger likes this.
  21. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Uhhh.....you may wanna duck man , theres a sh-- storm gonna come your way....jus' sayin...

22. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yard art?

23. 390kid

390kid

thought this was going to be some A-hole with a paint can. pretty rad man. nice truck too

24. SATANACHIA

SATANACHIA
    from Alabama

I have thick skin fellas, just showing a set of my tires :p

onetruth1130

sweet ride satanachia!! what is it?? Its just one of my ford model a's. By the way your truck looks great.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  25. 53inSD

53inSD

Made mine in August last year, they could use a little touch up. Especially where I dragged my wheels against a curb the other day....and yes I am an a-hole.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  26. atomickustom

atomickustom

Paint? What exactly did you use? I can't grind mine - there isn't enough white rubber on my tires to make a decent whitewall. (I did a test grind on one tire.)

27. 53inSD

53inSD

Krylon Fusion for plastic, the color is called Dover white.

28. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

53inSD , trucks lookin awesome!! Def the whitewalls makes it look that much better!! Cmon people lets see em whitewalls!!!!

29. 53inSD

53inSD

Thanks! One of the cheapest things to do, that really gives it a sweet look. Your ride is lookin sweet. I agree with the whitewalls being the cherry on top.

Love the AD Trucks!

30. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms