Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Made a deal for my dream car. '36 Ford 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cretin, Sep 18, 2016.

1. cretin

cretin

I was speaking with a friend, and he has been working on a customers '36 roadster, and the conversation turned to '36's. He mentioned that he wanted to build a '36 roadster for himself, and that he thought he was going to end up building one from scratch because he didn't want to cut up his 3 window. To which I replied, "you have a '36 3 window?! I didn't know that! That is my top dream custom, followed very closely by a '40 Merc."

I've wanted a '36 3 window for quite some time, but never thought I would be able to afford one any time soon. It has always been just a dream. So, we said that if he ever wanted to get rid of it that he would let me know, and we would see if we could make a deal. In my mind, that wasn't happening anytime soon.

So, for the moment, I put it out of my mind. a little while after, I had to leave for Ohio on short notice to deal with a unpleasant family situation. I ended up spending about 3 weeks there. Near the end of my stay there, I get a message. "Hey buddy, if your interested in my 3W, I'm going to let it go. I'll give you first dibs on her." So, I think, "Oh shit, we only talked about that about a month ago, I thought it would be way longer. But, it's the dream car" I ask if it's cool if he can wait about the 5 days or so it'll take me to get home and figure out if I can work it out. I'm cash poor at the moment, and space is almost nonexistent. But, again, it's dream car. So, I get home, mull it over for a couple days, ask if he needs it out of the way quickly or not because I need time to get some cash and free up space. He says, there is no rush, he can hold it till I'm ready. So, then of course I have to say that I'll take it.

So, now for all intents and purposes, I'm a '36 Ford 3 window owner. It's not yet pretty, and it needs a lot of work, but it's mine, and I wasn't sure that was ever going to happen. Not sure yet when I'll get it in my grubby little hands, but I guess that's just a matter of time. I need to finish some other projects before digging in, so once that happens I will document it here. The very basic description of the plan is a Westergaard style custom with some liberties. I don't really have any good photos yet, so I'll share what I've got.

[​IMG]

hfh, wicarnut, reagen and 7 others like this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Some inspiration, I saw it recently when in Canada.
    20160712_121627.jpg

3. Congrats. Dream car of mine too.

cretin and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Hope it all goes as planned, congrats!

cretin and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Always good to see a dream come true. We await further progress.:D

jeffd1988, cretin and lothianwilly71 like this.
  6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats! Keep us posted.

cretin likes this.
  7. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats

cretin likes this.
  8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Very nice. Congrats on the find! Build a small shed in your yard if you have to in order to get at least the body stored out of the weather. Maybe a soda blast and coat of DP if it'll be awhile before you get to it.
    As much as I like 36 Roadsters (there's a project one for sale on the HAMB), I'm glad to see it destined as a period Custom by you.
    BTW, the 5/w is the more correct coupe to slice into a Roadster as the 1/4's are closer than 3/w.

cretin likes this.
  9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

York2006a.jpg Here's one I had. Chopped some, louvered hood AND DECK LID, 40 chev headlights fitted to fenders but still removable. Miss it but can't keep them all... regrettably.

Enjoy the process.

Keep workin'
    Al

10. cretin

cretin

Thanks guys! It's gonna be a little while before I get to this one, but I was too excited not to post.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. That's way more than cool! Waiting for more pics too.

cretin likes this.
  12. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought about mine for 30 years before we got started! 2015-10-22 21.46.47 (1).jpg

hfh, slo-dat, Lasallefever and 11 others like this.
  13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations, I'm really happy for you !! You're going to love it.....

I had the same dream and mine came true about 5-years ago. I've been building it ever since and should have it completed next Summer. I've never had more fun than I do when working on it.

cretin likes this.
  14. This is great news.
    Westerguard style really suits the 36.
    Now your going to have to shift things up a gear, and get those other projects done, which reminds me, I haven't caught up on where your at with them.

cretin likes this.
  15. cretin

cretin

Yea, I think the '36 definitely looks best as an early custom.

No kidding! After being gone and unable to work on the projects for three weeks, and getting this, it's lit a fire under my ass! Gotta get to work!
    I'm nowhere near as far as I should be on the projects, and I have some repairs to do to our '36 pickup as well, so I'm a bit underwater on projects at the moment, but I'm still kicking!

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. Sporty45

Sporty45

Congrats! Always nice to hear when the "dream car" becomes reality. :cool:

cretin likes this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I saw that car waiting for the ferry to head over for Deuce Days, had Ontario plates IIRC.

cretin likes this.
  18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Congratulation. I share your love for these cars. Lucky man. Life is good!

cretin likes this.
  19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Glad your dream came true.
    Do a killer build, but please don't use those ribbed billet bumpers.

cretin and Chrisbcritter like this.
  20. cretin

cretin

Rest assured, there will be no billet on this car!

21. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Good luck with your new project. Just a thought but maybe you should sell one or two of your other projects to release funds, free up space and time for this 36 three window.....best of luck whatever you decide

cretin likes this.
  22. cretin

cretin

Thanks. That is sort of the idea. I'm currently cataloging some parts I don't need for some cash and space.
    Also, the plan for the T has always been to build it, drive if for a little while, then sell it to fund other projects.

23. mikew

mikew

Good luck building the car of your dreams. I've got a 36 5w and a cabriolet and still dream of a 3w.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cretin likes this.
  24. You lucky bastard, I'd give away one of my kids for a '36 3 window.....

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Surf City and cretin like this.
  25. 54onflr

54onflr
    from Ventura

Dude so stoked for you. That's my dream too. But I got to make my 5w into a 3w. Might have to stop by and make some templates of your

cretin likes this.
  26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

cretin likes this.
  27. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Fantastic, great feeling to find your dream car, I found mine, a 35 three window, just a little while ago. I'm still mesmerized. Hope you get her on the road soon![​IMG]

28. cretin

cretin

I thought my best chance at ever getting one was going to be having to convert a 5w to a 3w also.
    Once it's finally here, come on by! You may want me to do a bit of repair first though, she's a little rough. Haha.

Nice! congrats on yours too!

29. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The owner of that car is a friend of mine, he lives in Toronto. He built that car himself twice, the second time after it was involved in a nasty accident. He's now putting the finishing touches on a nailhead powered '40 Merc ragtop.

cretin likes this.
  30. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Congrats on your 3 wdo. I know the feeling. I can't wait till I get to where I can get started on mine. Too many other projects still un finished. I know that mine will be in the family for a long time though as my son claimed it as his when I get to old for it.

cretin likes this.