Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Mad Mikey Accident

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mad mikey, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Good to see you back in the garage. Keep at it, she is coming back together!

2. Looking great! Glad you're feeling up to working on it!

3. Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the support. Getting parts here seems to be more of a hassle then in the past, but I almost have everything rounded up. I am waiting on the electric fan, should be here Monday. Shop wall should be fixed in 2 to 3 weeks, thats what the contractor said. Today I am going to get the radiator mocked up and grill shell-grill. Getting closer to back and ready.

4. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Time is tincture my friend...

Stay Safe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. .............Well said.

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a thought.
    Somebody said it's lucky that it happened in the garage. But if it was out in the open, you might have had time to turn off ignition.
    In your scenario, you had NO time to do that.
    I imagine it was like...
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAH BAM!
    Maybe quicker. More like...
    WHAAAAAAH BAM!
    No? Oh... more like...
    WHAAA BAM!
    Even quicker?
    WH BAM!
    Nope... No time.

7. It happened so fast it was ridiculous .:eek:

8. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know this may sound stupid,but what about the tires?Did they absorb the impact?The reason I ask is I had a tire explode on my Cuda yesterday sitting in the 60 degree shop.No damage to the car luckily ,but Major shrapnel everywhere...If you have insurance you might consider.

9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the updates and photos of progress in recovery along with Happy Easter wishes. Back at you and I'm off to find my own Easter eggs I hid yesterday....

10. Lmao! Horrible accident? Yeah, you should know all about those. This isn't ther place to be a fucking jerk. If the man that had the accident feels that it's horrible, then that's what it is. Move on.

-Brent-, RMONTY, Stogy and 21 others like this.
  11. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

I had a patient once that slipped off a curb in Chicago and hit her head on her car door. She felt dizzy, came in was scanned and felt fine. She died later that evening of a subdural hematoma. The same one Liam Neeson’s wife Natasia Kinski died of when skiing. Unfortunately brain injuries can be very critical as the brain is not meant to undergo much trauma, hence the cranium being so thick that with the right angle bullets have been literally known to bounce off it. Be that as it may, I really feel the OP was maybe saying you are kinda lucky to be alive etc, and not all maimed up, but I guess he only knows what he meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AHotRod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. oldolds

oldolds

Double check you motor and trans mounts. A sudden stop can break the rubber in them. If they were solids check them at all the welds. Just went thru that with a friends off topic car. Put a front end on it and first time out throttle stuck. He got it stopped in time.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    bchctybob, loudbang, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  13. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Hey Frankie,
    A wrecked car can be fixed. To bad being an ass hole cant be fixed as easily.

Stogy, alanp561, loudbang and 9 others like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, so many details to consider and investigate...even checking the rims for true as well...the front tires might be best replaced out of caution...tires take an incredible pounding on the road but what happened that day one will never know...a run up to speed on a balancing machine certainly would be warranted...Mikey knows this machine better than anyone but it's good to bring up potential invisible anomalies in the aftermath of such an incident...

15. Yea, good advice guys. I have checked out everything over and over. The vintage Eelco tank, grill shell, insert, radiator, and axle took the brunt of the hit. The wood wall, work bench also gave way. The tires and wheels seem to be untouched. When I test after repairs I will know for sure. Spindles, king pins, all good. One steering arm was bent. They are the flat type Speedway sells.

16. Reminds me of when I lived in LA and there would be an earthquake. All the talking heads on the TV would say "yes, but it wasn't the BIG ONE" If it is a 1.0 quake and a brick falls off the chimney and hits you in the head, that was the BIG ONE for you!

17. I have had this car well over 140 mph in the 1/4 mile, Have had her get loose and skate at over 100 mph, wheelie and get side ways, you name it. But this incident actually scared the crap out of me. I need to start being even more careful and a little less fearless I suppose. But this is what I love and live for, racing her, driving, going fast. However, this was a wake up call and a expensive one. If I would have been strapped in my harness I would not have gotten so banged up, but I was just pulling back into the garage from just outside the door. Hard lesson learned.

18. My mom used to tell me when I was young, that I must have 9 lives because of all the mishaps and accidents I have had back then. She told me after this accident that I am probably down to 1 at my age.

19. In less than 4 years I'll retire from a career in Fire/EMS, and my station runs about 2500 fire runs/3000 EMS runs per year. That's just my station. Not every call is bad, but to the person that called 911, it was the worst day of their life, and you're taught to respect that. If Mike had a bad day, then it was a bad day. Period.

Stogy, Tman, Just Gary and 21 others like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It reminds me of Atch's Thread on reading posts...I mean you sustained injuries as a result of being propelled into the front of the cabin and stated as such of which you are still recovering...this will take some time to recover from as it is far more than a wrecked car...

Compassion for a man that has experienced near death is obviously a varied thing but to read that you'd think he stood there outside and watched it fly into the garage on it's own...yeah wrecked car...Oh Well...That's all it is...Not...did the poster read no further?...that would have perhaps changed the response...

It's not the first time I've witnessed this compassion here thats for sure...Yes Mikey take time to reflect as I understand having nearly losing my life in a head on collision with a yoyo diddling with his phone Mar 5 2019 and I too faced similar compassion from of all things my family...why? because I walked away injured so it can't be that bad right?...if only they knew...all the best in your Physical recovery...So glad things are on the up and up...do visit the doc to monitor your progress...I'm not a big doctor guy myself but they did a lot to help me recover but I still feel like I died with how things have unfolded alive or not...all the best Hotrodder...;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  21. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

I'm an EMR on an Alpine Search & Rescue Team and that's exactly right brother, we're called on people's worst days.....and we never question a subject's assessment of how bad their experience was.

22. gene-koning

gene-koning

Mikey, have you discovered the reason the throttle stuck in the first place?

23. My linkage is mechanical, a bolt was to tight and caused it to stick at about 1/4 throttle. That is more then enough to make her launch.

Roothawg, TFoch, 31hotrodguy and 8 others like this.
  24. gene-koning

gene-koning

Good! Then I assume you have corrected that issue and it can't happen again.

I've seen a few guys that got so into the fix, they forgot to find the reason they needed the fix. Gene

Stogy, loudbang, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  25. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Just glad you are good. You have been kind to me over the years. You have given me many compliments. God Speed.

31hotrodguy, Stogy, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  26. This is great news Mikey. I'm so glad to hear that you, and the Hot Rod are okay. Yeah, things do happen very fast sometimes. I think you may be working your guardian angel overtime. Take care, and keep us posted on your progress. :) Ron.....

27. Got the electric fan, its better then what I had. Will start fabricating mounting brackets. Plan is to get the new radiator, fan in and hooked up over the week end. Then start on the grill shell. Getting closer.

loudbang, Lil32, Stogy and 13 others like this.
  28. Car's coming along. Good news.
    How's your head?

loudbang, Stogy, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  29. :):):)
    Glad to hear it.

loudbang, Stogy, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  30. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's what you get for building a car that 60 foots so well.

loudbang, Stogy, mad mikey and 5 others like this.