Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mack pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by canucktruck, Apr 9, 2009.

1. canucktruck

canucktruck

Anybody ever see one of these done?

Looking at a 53 Mack model B larger truck. Wondered if anyone had already done a custom out of one of these, fenderles and hoodles and really low.

Please post pics here!
    Thanks

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

I seriously doubt you will get any response. Someone please prove me wrong.

I remember the guy that was building that roadster from a big rig, I said "Thats gona be the biggest waste of time ever." I was wrong, Leno paid fat money for that car. So Im told.

Ive even seen it in a couple of automotive adds.

3. I dunno why you couldn't do it on a later 1-ton chassis, but those things tend to be bigger than you think. Measure it first, or photoshop it, and see what it looks like.

That said, I'd like to see a '40s Reo, the one with the pointed nose with the long louvered hood, done as a rod. The cabs on those aren't so big as to be rediculous on a short wheelbase chassis.

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Probably better to check with some big truck sites. Those guys seem to be into taking larger trucks and making little pick-ups out of them. Been done a bunch and if you check with some of them, I am sure it won't take long to get some info. Mack B's are a pretty popular older truck and I bet there is more than a couple already done somewhere. Be for warned, those semi guys somehow seem capable of spending ungodly amounts of money on some of their truck projects.

5. jim mchargue

jim mchargue

Yeah i'm a FNG,check out "out there kustom shop ,so you can "flame me".whatever,old pics,sorry,non p.c. protocall"53 MACK "A" model,trust me lol,it's a little more "TRADITIONAL now.....

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

What kind of code is that???

7. jim mchargue

jim mchargue

"out there kustom shop.com."BTW,comming" only uses one"m".Code for......

8. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

Thanks for clearing that up... the next Meth-head I come across I will ask him to translate.

9. jim mchargue

jim mchargue

Kool,lotsa meth-heads in the "Golden State",eh? You gotta Mack hot-rod,or just happy ta see me?Glad you know what their like....

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Kustom Jim, pardon my frankness, but what the fuck are you talking about?

11. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

Too Many!! ;)
    There was a polished and slammed Peterbuilt at GNRS and at Mooneyes this year. Maybe someone has a shot?

12. jim mchargue

jim mchargue

Talking about the response to my post about my "MACK A MODEL" truck....lost in the process....

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

oh, ok, couldn't quite figure that out. I checked out your site, but this is the only truck I could find. Is this what you are referring too:

[​IMG]

Looks kind of interesting. More info.?

Also, some interesting bikes. Not sure what this is, but maybe you are on meth: :D Looks like some kind of crazy retro rocket bike.

[​IMG]

14. jim mchargue

jim mchargue

Yes,you got it!!!Ha!Ha!Ha! No Meth,just "Rocket Fuel" !!!! Nah,the "Rocket Bike" is actually an idea/concept/"barn find(over used term?,LOL) Project.What info do ya need? Thanks for the interest/comments ,i'm just a dumas,playin' w/old parts!Thanks!

15. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Give us some more info and pics on the truck if you got them to keep the original intent of the thread going.

And also, personally, wouldn't mind seeing some more on the crazy rocket bike. The hamb isn't super friendly for non hot rod truck projects or bikes, but as long as it is cool and somewhat related to hot rods and custom cars, cool outside the box thinking and work is encouraged and appreciated.

What kind of tires are on that bike and what ides you have for the motor? Can't quite figure out what you are working up on that and just curious.

16. Probably 20 years ago, one was in the Green Field at Hershey. Built on a 1 ton chassis, shortened doors, sectioned front fenders and raditor shell and custom built 8' bed. At the time I believe the price tag was north of $50,000.
    Guess I should have taken some photos.

I just remembered a second one that was built for the founder of Werner Trucking in Omaha. Saw it at the ISCA show there in the late 80's.

17. I saw one at a car show in Hazelhurst GA several years ago. It was a B cab mounted on a 80's fullsize Chevy Blazer 4x4 chassis and had a 60's Dodge step side bed on it. The large tires filed the fenders. It looked pretty good, but sorry no pics.

Sounds like a cool project though If you do it keep us updated

18. Ramblur

Ramblur

Mack did make pickups. Mack Jr. Realize thats not what your asking
    but thought I'd share.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. A B-model cab will fit on a 1-ton chassis very easily and the cab mounts are very close to 70's Ford mounts. Another very good option is a motorhome chassis. This is a very do-able project and if you hit the Fergus truck show by Guelph in July there are usually 2 or 3 "mini-trucks" there.

20. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

When I was a kid I drove a 1935 or 36 Mack Junior half-ton pickup on the ranch.
    A buddy has a 1938 Reo half-ton pickup, chrome hood side script reads "REO SPEEDWAGON".

21. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I think somebody did a run of fiberglass hot rod semi bodies in the 90s. I remember seeing a couple around the same time, very similar including box bodies on the back. They were all being used as promo vehicles. Have since seen one or two in wheeler dealers across the country. I also recall they were set on smaller chassis than you'd expect, either S10 or half ton. Or maybe there was one shop churning them out from original trucks, who knows.

22. The Mack Jr. and the REO were the same truck. Mack bought them from REO and rebadged them.

23. There was a similar thing done and for sale on here a year or two back. I think it was a cut down diamond reo of the likes.

I can't see any reason not to give it a whirl.

24. RichG

RichG

Hey Jim, it looks like that cab is doing alright by you! The rocket bike concept looks pretty ginchy too...

As for building the truck sans hood and fenders, not my cup of tea, the lines on these old trucks can be layed out and made into pretty unique customs, just my thoughts.:D

25. jim mchargue

jim mchargue

Hey electrodude thanks,"Rocket Bike" sounds pretty cool..hahaha! Actually it's a 1939 Lycoming 4 banger,planning on making it sort of a dirt track racer looking thing with a pair of old Linkert carbs and short zoomie style pipes.The tires are just for mock-up,my" budget bonneville firestones" lol!Those are the twin gas tanks just laying on the cylinders for now.The 53 Mack A model is sitting on a 78 chevy half ton chassis,(used to be an Ormand Beach fire truck), has a built 454,auto 9"ford rear.It will be running full fenders and hood.You can see the megaphone exhaust mocked up,coming out the hood side.On the rear i'm using 35 Ford sedan fenders(still need a R.H. one).Going for an express/service style bed,using some of my collection of antique tools,compressor,generator,etc(all of them working and usable),with a tilting ramp up the center for a custom bike.I am real bad at this computer stuff,so i will have to get some help with picture posting and such,cause yeah,i like to see the pictures too on the hamb posts.There is such incredible talent here,it boggles my pea brain!Thanks.

26. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

[​IMG]

Like the rototiller gas tanks ,,they were a nice design back then

27. jim mchargue

jim mchargue

Wow little wing,pretty sharp there!I should have known that someone here would know that.LOL!yeah,i bought a pair of those old tillers at a tractor show,mainly for the tanks and front covers..very deco looking design.Thanks.

28. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I love the Mack 1/2 ton pickups ! One of the best looking early pickups IMO

29. Ramblur

Ramblur

Guessing these are A's then?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. The one I wish I'd saved was about a '35 COE Mack in a junkyard. Had to be rare as hell. Of course someone stole the flap with the Mack logo off it and we ran out of money to buy cars and last I saw it left with another car on top of it.