Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mack C Cab?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Martin Harris, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Not always easy to find the time for this stuff, especially through the winter with a cramped and unheated garage, and a zillion other commitments to attend to. I try and do a little each day, even if it's only drilling a hole, then that's one more step accomplished.
    Thanks for your interest Jeremy, and I hope you get some work done on your own project eventually mate!

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  2. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Hmmm, I know those Rover/Buick blocks are relatively light, but I still reckon it would be "instant wheelstand" material with one of those hanging out the back! Might have to upgrade the Triumph drum brakes too methinks.....:D

kiwijeff and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  3. Yeah it gets down to freezing here most nights over winter and I have a small farm to take care of, time gets split too many ways and so do the funds. I did spend some time on the T today. JW

4. Interesting stuff. The rear view with the diff and driveshafts on display really nails the show rod look.
    Some chrome back there would look cool.

5. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Just a quick note to let you guys know I'm still around and the project is still alive. Took a break from it as I kinda lost my way as you sometimes do when immersed in a project car. Some changes have been made and I'll be downloading pics soon!
    Regards martin.:cool:

kiwijeff and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. Look forward to it.

7. SNAP! I was just thinking about you... wondering how it was going. I've been looking at show cars recently in a book called America's Wildest Show Rods of the 1960s & 1970s by Scotty Gosson and was reminded of your C-Cab.

I've also been wondering if anyone has built a bubble top car here in NZ. Have you heard of any? I reckon it'd be cool to do but wondered if it'd be legal. I don't think the bubble would be certifiable being made from lexan or whatever it is that gets used.

We had the Kurbside Rodders Street Meet here on Saturday and had 120ish entrants turn up in off-and-on rain and high humidity. I kept thinking how cool it would be to see a bubble top or something at an event like this and thought of your C-Cab again. I like unique, unusual stuff :rolleyes:

Anyway, looking forward to your update.

Cheers,

Glen.

8. Always like to see what you guys are up to, must be a Kiwi thing.:D JW

9. [QUOTE="KiwiGlen, post: 11410713, member: 258151

I've also been wondering if anyone has built a bubble top car here in NZ. Have you heard of any? I reckon it'd be cool to do but wondered if it'd be legal. I don't think the bubble would be certifiable being made from lexan or whatever it is that gets used..
    [/QUOTE]

You may have seen the white bubble top, that was a local recent build, by now.

Hey @Martin Harris how's the progress?
    It's been a while.

10. Gidday Jeff,

If you're referring to 'The Little Menace' as featured in the 2014 NZV8 Hot Rod Special Volume One magazine, the one with the white upper half that glows green in the dark and the red flake bottom half, then yes I've seen it. Thanks for pointing it out though.

And yes, I'm interested in any progress too @Martin Harris

Glen.

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. C cabs are COOL!

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. Post a pic or five of your one , Terry and yes they are . JW

13. 20161112_093117.jpg
    I built this for the Vets.

14. Very nice Terry, is that taken at Ma and Pa's HR Café?:cool::cool::) JW

15. It was taken down town at the Veteran's day parade.

16. Was thinking that a couple weeks back and again at LARS when i saw a large C-Cab for sale at the Swap. JW
    PS;He was last on here 3 years ago! How you going Jeff?:D

17. Morriemad

Morriemad

Hey Martin good to see you've been making progress. Sadly can't say the same haven't touched mine in about 5 years now FB_IMG_15814616313329837.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. Hi,

I think you followed the link here that I posted on the NZ Hotrods & Memories Facebook group discussion about Martin’s car. Hope you didn’t get the impression he’s been active on here recently… he hasn’t been seen here since Feb 29, 2016.

I’d really love to see progress on his wee C-Cab, so if you know him, perhaps you can encourage him to come back and give an update.

Glen.

19. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I used to have this one with a small block chevy in it. Otherwise, it was pretty stock. It took up too much room in my shop, so I sold it. left side.jpg mack.jpg

20. Yikes... that's huge. Martin's is tiny compared to that!

Hemi Joel likes this.
  21. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Sorry mate, my C Cab is further away than yours and rapidly deteriorating. Still got your Moggie Minor? Good to see you still have your cab though after all these years!

22. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Popped in here after a notification from KiwiGlen and a private chat.

Sorry guys, the C Cab is well and truly a dead project.:(

I have spent the past three years however, resurrecting and customizing a '68 VW with some old school custom touches. Unlike the C Cab, this is now on the road, getting lots of use and turning heads. I do have full build documentation if anyone's interested. Not really HAMB material though being post-'65:cool:

23. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Now THAT has potential!

Hemi Joel and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Glad you decided to catch everyone up.

Such a shame about your C-Cab, I really love the look of it. If you ever decide to sell, keep me in mind… if I have the money and space I’d be keen.

Glen.

chryslerfan55 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  25. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Its 2024. Four years since the last post i made declaring the C Cab to be a dead project.
    Just cleared a bunch of junk off the dusty, grimy old thing during a garage cleanout. Found myself tinkering with it instead of cleaning.
    Even if it remains a show-only vehicle, I'll see if I can finish it.
    Some of the work I did was really rough under the skin. 4 years working on my VW has taught me a few things about doing the job properly.
    Back into it :)

VANDENPLAS, SS327, Kroombit and 4 others like this.
  26. Good to see you back and going to work on it again. look forward to an update or five. :cool::D JW

27. That's great news. I really like the look of your C-Cab.

I love C-Cabs and had a couple back in the 1980s... think I mentioned them already. One was called the Revolting and the other was a T-Bucket based V6 powered one. The V6 one is still on the road here in Whangarei but it's now a plain T-Bucket having had the C-Cab back part replaced. The current owner has said he might sell it so if I can get some money together, perhaps...

Looking forward to seeing progress on your C-Cab.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  28. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

I know "Revolting" well Glen. I first saw it at Cowles Stadium in 1985. Later got repainted in Caltex promotional paint and plexiglass doors fitted.
    The V6 one was owned at one point by a guy here in Christchurch I think. He chopped the cab off it and turned into a tourer so he could take his grandkids around in it. Wish I could remember the guys name.

The "Mack" C Cab how has dual exhaust stacks exiting through the right hand side of the cab and scoops/vents for the side-mount radiator. I'm also doing some general bodywork refinements and finishing off the front hood/cowl I started making shortly before I got sidetracked with my Beetle project. Pics coming soon.
    I've also started reworking the cab sides for easier entry and a better resemblance to an AC Mack.
    Currently I'm doing some work on the steering system to relocate the column to a more upright position and I've made new wood windscreen surrounds.

SS327 likes this.
  29. The Revolting was actually painted in Challenge petrol station colours, the guy that got it off me owned the Brougham Street Challenge. He also replaced the Morris 1800 engine with a Nissan Deisel one.

Yes, I knew about the old C-Cab being chopped into a tourer type thing. I never saw it but my brother did. I actually just got back from visiting the bloke that owns it now. He hasn't used it for a few years and the carb needs replacing. If he sells it I might be keen :)

Glen.