Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mack C Cab?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Martin Harris, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Some pics of the quarter elliptic mounts in progress. Everything to be prettied up yet, but we'll make sure it works first!
    DSCN0937.JPG DSCN0962.JPG DSCN0967.JPG DSCN0962.JPG
    You'll notice I chose to mount the springs in a tube section instead of with U-bolts or clamps. Something the Rock Crawler guys do, so it's surely workable in a rod. Those leaves are pressed in VERY tightly by the way, plus a locating bolt.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Very cool. I love different and I love C-Cabs. I owned this one back in the mid to late 80's…

Revolting_1.jpg

I sure wish I still had it. It was called "Revolting" and was built around '77 or '78 by Marty Cole in Christchurch. My brother had it before I got it, then the guy after me (who owned the Challenge petrol station near the corner of Brougham and Selwyn Streets at the time) painted it red as a promotional vehicle. I don't know if it's still around down there. The nose on it was 1909 Renault hand made by Lew Henry.

My other C-Cab was this 3L V6 one…

Ccab_2.jpg

Yep, wish I still had that too.

I'll be keeping an eye on your build.

Glen.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  3. Wow Glen, I remember that first one, didn't the rear part have a bed in it? :cool:

4. Sort of... it opened up as a sleeping compartment but there was no actual "bed". Soft blankets and a sleeping bag was fine. Here is a shot of it at the Garden City Rodders show of 1985 with the rear awning up...

Revolting_1985_Show_72dpi.jpg

Man, I wish I still had it. I'm such a fool. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the thread hijack, Martin. :oops:

Glen

Edit to add: There's a photo of it around somewhere with a line of Rod Bender members standing outside the awning with crossed legs as if waiting to go to the toilet. Oh those silly Rod Benders… must've been all the tea :p

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

You are welcome to hijack this thread anytime, KiwiGlen!
    I remember your "Revolting" C Cab very well. Loved it. It eventually ended up being purchased by a gas station owner who painted it up in company colours as a mock petrol tanker truck.
    The front end is not too far away from the look I'm going for with the Mack theme.
    I like the wooden wheel centres on "Revolting". Might nick that idea, hmmm....

KiwiGlen likes this.
  6. Not overly a hijack, with the front end being very similar, Mack, REO, both C Cabs, both from Christchurch, but two totally different builds.
    I think its pretty neat that there's some big similarities, and yet they are so different. ;)

KiwiGlen likes this.
  7. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

AND: Both 4 cylinder Austin powered (I seem to recall "Revolting" had a mid mounted Austin 1800 engine?).
    Ps, got one spring in place today, looks like it's going to fit/work. Can't wait to get both sides bolted in and drop it off the jacks.

8. Damn it guys, now there is something else I've got to build before I die. I don't think I'll ever get to take the dirt nap!

tb33anda3rd and kiwijeff like this.
  9. Days not over yet..:D

10. Yup... big block 1800 we called it. Borg Warner 35 auto. Out of a Morris Oxford actually... 1956 if I recall. You'd think I'd remember these things, but then I never did have a good memory... even before getting old. I was trying to remember the registration number to check on carjam to see if it's still alive... nothing. I don't even think I have a photo with the rego plate in it either. :rolleyes:

I'm keen to see those quarter elliptics mounted.

Glen.

11. Here is the Revolting as it looked in Challenge petrol station colours...

RevoltingRed.jpg

Glen.

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. I remember it in that guise too.
    Must be still about somewhere.

Hey Martin, how long have you had yours for?

13. As you can see that not only did the Challenge guy paint the Revolting red, he also removed the vinyl top and added those yucky doors and big truck style mirrors to replace the peeps that were on it. What you can't see in the photo is the engine... he put a diesel engine in it, Nissan I seem to recall.

Glen.

14. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Yeah, I thought it was sad what he did, it looked classy in it's original trim.

kidcampbell71 and KiwiGlen like this.
  15. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

I started building mine about ten years ago. Bought a Triumph Herald and told the guy to keep the body. Built the C Cab body on top of it and moved the engine back 'till it sat against the cowl. Paint was done eight years ago. Car has only had one public showing (Muscle Car Madness, 2010). Then we had our earthquakes. That put other priorities ahead of the rod. It never did get completely finished before I decided to change things!

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. Ok, thets have another Kiwi join in. I had a huge soft spot for C-Cabs back in the 70s. My all time favourite was Bill Wards (cover NZHRM August ? 74) flat head powered one, I started collecting parts to build one in 76, but I bought a 39 Willys instead. I did start on another type of one in 78 and only sold it as an unfinished assembled collection of parts five years ago after storing it for 20 years. It was on sold on Trade Me this year unchanged. This is it in 1981 with a 22 year old me. JW
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff and KiwiGlen like this.
  17. This is the body of the one above. The Essex sedan back was narrowed 4 inches and I made a steel roof. When our laws changed around 86-87 I had gone too far to bring it all in line with the new system so it sat till 2011 when I sold it. Running gear then was 2.2 litre 1953 Vauxhall Velox and in 83 it got 301 Chev, P- glide and MKIII Zephyr rear. When I started it I had a plan to have it on the road for under thousand dollars, which was in sight till the V-8 went in. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    Martin Harris and kiwijeff like this.
  18. Martins and KiwiGlens are the only two C Cabs I can think of in the South Island.
    I know of a few in the North Island, one or two that have been around for years, and Johns, (CCabs) one, that was a fully fendered T Bucket from my town, that he built into a C Cab, and from memory, is called Midnight Express.
    He had it for sale a while back, then decided to keep it. I like that one a lot.
    Then there's the one that was on the Wheet box cards from the late 70s, Rover V8 powered, wire wheels and murals, that the owner builder took with him to England, and still has it all these years later. Last name Philips, or Marks?
    What happened to your one Jeremy?

Martin must just about have that rear end sorted by now. :D

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  19. I put it on Trade Me at the end of 2010 less 301 and glide (now in my RPU) when I had a sell up, 29 Whippet 2 dr, 66 Falcon wgn and my 1st Willys (39 Sedan, body only) when I realised I would not get them done. Anyway it went to Hastings four years ago and was back on Trade me in last two months and now its in Huntly just as I sold it but looking a bit worse. I really would like to see it finished as I had it. JW

20. This is what I started with, as well as some fenders and grille surround that were in the paddock. the guy who owned the land said give me $3 and go for your life, I should have spent more time there. That was December 1978. JW
    [​IMG]

kustomkatt, kiwijeff and KiwiGlen like this.
  21. I was told many years ago that the roof on my old V6 powered C-Cab (pictured in post #32 above) had been cut off to make it like a roadster pickup. The plates are still live, so it's around somewhere.

Anyone remember (and have photos of) "windjammer" ? A rodder whose name escapes me built it in the early 80's I think and was based in Ashburton. I remember it from the '85 Nats when I attended in Revolting. I seem to recall it being C-Cabbish.

Glen.

22. I remember that name. JW

23. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Phillip Marks C Cab you're thinking of Jeff. Daimler powered and I believe he still has it!

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Windjammer: Was in NZHRM in the early 80's in the "Club Craft" section, and a single picture in a show photo. It was a big boxy thing, hence the name!
    [​IMG]
    A few years ago I talked to the guy who purchased your v6 C Cab and turned it into a sort of open tourer, can't remember his name off the top of my head.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    KiwiGlen likes this.
  25. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

This C Cab from Ashburton is still around: Was yellow for a few years, now purple with skeleton murals, but this is it's original paint with Dave Blyth airbrushing:
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff and KiwiGlen like this.
  26. I remembered the Windjammer name, then when I saw pic, it fell into place, and the blue one above, would that be Rod bender owned, with a tombstone grill?
    There's more about than I thought.
    Nice to see Devil Woman just off to the side, awhile back, I reunited it with its old roll cage, but that's getting OT.

27. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

The one with the tombstone grill is yet another (!) C Cab based in Chch, owned by a guy named Carl.
    Got pics somewhere....

kiwijeff likes this.
  28. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Some pics of rear quarter elliptic mounted in place, will get the other side on this weekend and attach wheels, then if all works as planned I'll pull it out and tidy all the fab work, lay on some fresh paint etc.
    DSCN0985.JPG DSCN0982.JPG DSCN0983.JPG
    Yes, I know my garage floor is a mess! Too busy creating to clean up:D

KiwiGlen and kiwijeff like this.
  29. I was reading the March Petrol Head mag and there is another C-Cab in there, at least I think its another one. Does anyone remember Bill Wards C-Cab from Whakatane? JW

30. I sure do... IMG_20150312_191321.jpg

Deuces likes this.