Register now to get rid of these ads!

Machining spindles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JaysinSpaceman, Dec 6, 2007.

1. I would like to add disk brakes to the from of my fendered pickup. I am running 49-54 chevy car spindles on a dropped axle and was going to use GM intermediate hubs rotors and calipers with the caliper adapter plates that any one of a bunch of people sell. I know that the spindles need to be machined to fit these new parts and I have the skills and tools to do the work but I was hoping to get the dimensions that the spindles need to be machined to. I could figure it out if I had the parts in front of me but I have not made it to the junkyard yet to collect everything that I need. I already looked in the Brake Post in the Tech Archives but didn't find the info. So if there is anyone out there that has done this and can give me the info that I need it would be a big help.

2. If no one can get you specs here (although I'm sure someone will) you could post this on the NTBA board (National T Bucket Alliance) because a lot of guys use those spindles.

3. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

Think some company used to make a conversion to fit disc's to the Chevy spindles. A buddy of mine put disc's on his Model A that had those spindles about 15yrs. ago. Not sure what rotor was used tho.

4. squirrel

squirrel

try Engineered Components Inc, they have made a lot of disk kits that use a sleeve that you press onto the spindle, and a larger ID inner bearing.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I aslo have the means to machine the spindles, but had Speedway do them for my '46 Chevy 1/2T. According to their latest catalog, it's only $90.99 for car or truck. By the time I made a fixture and screwed around, it was far easier for them to machine the spindles in a proven fixture, install the bushings and weld them in place. If they screw up (which they didn't), they eat 'em.

Just a thought.

6. Tag man, What are they welding in place for the disc brakes, I thought that all they did was machine down the spindle so that later tapered roller bearings would fit.

Squirrel, Would you have the spec. for the sleeve or the bearing size? You seem to always have a good answer for people on the HAMB. Thanx for all the great input.

7. DrJ

DrJ

ECI makes "bolt on" brackets and adapters for most common spindles, but they make them for unmodified spindles.
    Their inner bearing adapters slide over and are somewhat bigger than what's already there.
    You go machining stuff to different dimensions you're on your own.

8. squirrel

squirrel