Register now to get rid of these ads!

Machining crank pulleys on a 302

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lou39, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Am considering replacing the Spal elect. fan on my 302 powered "A" with a conventional engine driven fan. I've got the clearance in front of the waterpump but the blades won't clear the outermost groove on the crank pulley. My Delco alt. runs on the inner one.
    I'm a little freaked with Fords internal/esternal balance issues and the pulley has a small conterwieght just below the groove.
    The question is can I machine this groove and the weight off and and still be in balance ?
    Lou39

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Do you have room enough to use a shallow fan spacer and move the blade forward enough to clear the pulley?

The dampers do have weights that are part of the balance system used by Ford. I would be reluctant to machine away a counterweight.

Ray

3. fordor41

fordor41

I had the same problem with my SBF 302. I set the pulley up in a lathe and turned the outer, unused groove off. One warning. Mine was tougher than hell. Turnings came off RAZOR SHARP. Had to take VERY shallow cuts. Tried all sorts of chuck speeds and tool feed speeds, same results. Solved the problem and has been on my engine for about 17 yrs.