Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical machine shop tooling I.D.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Aug 14, 2018.

1. friend of mine knew i had just got my lathe working and saw this pile of tooling at the scrap yard and bought it for me. i have a 14" atlas lathe. will any of this work?
    can any one tell me what the tools do and how they can be used? the stuff that won't work for me, can anybody use? there are buckets with more of the same not shown. DSCF0016.JPG DSCF0012.JPG DSCF0013.JPG DSCF0014.JPG DSCF0015.JPG
    i numbered them to identify each for discussion.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. You can use #2,3,5.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. Plus the last pic, far right.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Not much looks useful. Look for USA names on the HSS tool chunks.
    2) just drill bits
    13) cutoff blades
    14) is prob a part of a shop made measuring set. That is the ball of a ball and socket.
    11) are for a Geometric threading Die 10) is prob that body
    3) just HSS lathe tool bits
    5) boring bars prob for a mill adjustable boring head
    7) form tools for a specific hole shape
    9) V threading tools for a Armstrong holder

tb33anda3rd likes this.

5. #13, are shims, to adjust the height of your lathe tools.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  6. #7 are cavity tools, for screw in hydraulic valves etc.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. #15 looks like a stubby 2 flute endmill.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. #9, if there is a thread in the middle, look like screw machine cutters.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

#11 is chaser type thread dies for a die head. (For cutting external threads).

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. thanks, i guess most of this stuff is for a milling machine?

11. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

No. Almost all of it is for lathe.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. to use numbers 2 and 5 i would chuck them up in the lathe and move the part into it? or would i need a chuck a carriage to move it into the spinning part?

13. #12, the one on the left is some sort of collet.

14. #2 and 5, the part spins, the tools mount to the tool post
    on the carriage, or the tailstock.

15. #2 = drill bits, screw machine length, mounted in bushings.

#5 = Boring bars, for accurately opening up holes.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Yes 2 and 5 are very basic turning operations. They attach to the tool post/ carriage and the get slid over into the turning workpiece.

chryslerfan55 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. so i will need some way to hold them on the carriage. i have a tool post and a square tool holder, that the shims would be for.

18. there is a lot of stuff here, i want to keep just the stuff that i MAY use someday. i do not expect to use this for any super precision machine work. i just want to be able to get myself out of a jamb for those times a part can't be bought or something needs to be fitted or adapted. i am guessing i will not need the hydraulic valve tooling or the thread stuff.

19. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Well, you definitely want to keep the drill holders, the HSS turn tool bits, and the boring bars. For sure.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

12, 2, 3 ,5, 8 you wouldn't want to be without.

21. For what you would get for it hang on to all of it. as you get used to your lathe you will find more uses ..

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. thanks, so the stuff would fill two 5 gallon buckets, how many should i keep? a coffee can of each?
    all the ones i have peeled the rubber coating off of appear to be freshly sharpened.

23. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

24. thanks for the info.....

25. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

there is one thing about a lathe, the more combinations of tools you own and the more creative you are, the more uses you can have for it. there is no real limitations. lots of sites like the link above, along with forums to get you some great ideas. I miss having a lathe around badly but just don't have the room. a good toolmaker is really nothing more than someone with an amazing 3d imagination and math skills.

26. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

#8 look like piloted spotfacers, useful in a lathe or a drill press for putting a flat machined surface around a drilled hole in an otherwise unfinished casting.

27. You have mostly tooling from a production machine shop that ran automatic screw machines. #11 are chasers for an H&G die head, pretty worthless with out the die head itself, and you don't have one. #9 are circular cut off tools for Brown & Sharpe tool posts, screw machine only. #'s 2 and 3 are drills and reamers in bushings to fit in Boyer & Schultz adjustable drill holders that fit a #2 Brown & Sharpe turret. #7 are purpose ground form drills that fit the B&S drill holders. The tooling in the bottom right pic is for various second operation drilling. These jigs were made for a dedicated job by the shops tool room. Looks like you have some misc. tooling from what was left from yet another American small business that was auctioned off, and the un bought stuff was scrapped. I know this because I went through this when I was forced to close our 55 year old small screw machine shop in 2010. :(

stanlow69 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  28. Top picture, orange and white item might be a cat....

But I agree that most tooling I see is screw machine related. Those are often as short and stubby as possible for high-speed operations. #9 looks like cams of some sort.

tb33anda3rd and Unkl Ian like this.
  29. khead47

khead47

Cat is useful to wipe grease off hands.

tb33anda3rd likes this.