Register now to get rid of these ads!

MAACO Paint job at $399

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cerberus, Apr 10, 2013.

1. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

Hi folks, new guy here. Wondering if you thought of roll on paint jobs instead? I belong to a motorcycle forum and they have a other sections and roll on paint jobs have been mentioned. Some reported really good results, they even have a forum for them.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forum...1-My-quot-rustoleum-50-roll-on-paint-job-quot

On one forum, a guy painted his drag mustang black and you could not tell he used a roller and Rustoleum from Home Depot.

2. Cerberus

Cerberus

I've been rightfully accused of seeing the world through "rose colored glasses." I've always been an optimist. I miss having my son (pessimist) around lately, for his second opinion. He is a realist. I'm too trusting sometimes and have been twice bitten.

3. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I've seen some Maaco paint jobs that weren't too bad for a beater with a heater.
    I've seen some where the car wasn't washed before painted.
    Probably 20 years ago I had a "friend" that was the manager at a Maaco in the nearest city about 2 hours from me.
    We had a nice Nova that was hit and was being fixed with insurance. ( that means a budget to do it right).
    This "friend" that I grew up with kept saying we should take it to his shop and that he had some sort of master there that could do an awesome job.
    When I got it back all the pin stripes from the old paint job could still be seen plain as day through the new paint. No color, but they were there. Then the paint started lifting. After some fighting we got them to "fix" it.
    Traded right away for a trans am, then got rid of the trans am for a 63 1/2 galaxie that had never been to maaco.

4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My friend took his 57 Dodge to Maaco, it came out nice and has held up pretty well.The only thing he did was take off all the stainless and bumpers.He's won several awards with it.It was even in a book for mopars.

5. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

I talked with MAACO about a franchise; I'd joked about them for years but when they called I figured, what the heck. Traditionally, they told me, franchisees were not "car guys". They would have somebody with experience running, say, a Burger King or a Dunkin' Donuts, and with their system running a body shop was no different. The owner didn't have to know a rocker panel from a rocker arm. Now they are expanding by converting existing shops in many areas. I asked them about the $399 jobs, "you don't really sell any of those, do you?" According to their rep, they do, and they make money on them to boot. The trick is volume-he said a minimum of 8 all-overs a day through the shop. Now, how good do you expect the job to be with that kind of production? And, yes, they do it with dirt cheap paint. The cheapest paint I'll bring myself to use these days is Ful-Thane and I guess the last gallon I bought was in the $250 range, before you bought any primer/sealer/hardeners. The stuff their using is more along the lines of equipment paint (like straight enamel), I think their materials cost is around $40. It might shine this summer, but not next. Still, I send folks to MAACO all the time. If you're going to paint anything older than 5-7 years old, it's going to need more than a "scuff and shoot" and most of the stuff on the road older than that simply isn't worth the price of a really good paint job. If it needs stripping (and it sometimes seems like anything over 10 years old needs stripping) you suddenly have a ton of labor tied up in the job, and rust?

6. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

I've had really good luck at my local maaco with a few late model cars.
    Let them talk you into a few extra coats of clear. I pay about $600.
    I have to clean some paint off the tailpipes and whatnot, but for
    "driver" quality paint it's a good deal. When I lived in Virginia,
    The Maaco there was a whole other story so maybe I just have
    a good shop here in Miami.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The bottom line is, there are good Maacos and bad Maacos. We had a pickup at work that they painted and there were flies and dirt in the whole paint job. But I had my Mustang drag car painted by one and it came out looking like a factory job.

They say that you can take in a better quality paint for them to use, and it also helps to promise the guy who paints it a $100 tip if he takes special pains to make it right.

I would also look at some of the jobs that they are rolling out that day to see how they look to you.

Don

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

as stated, there are good and bad MAACO, and other paint places, that are run by good guys and others don't care. they make their money by painting as many vehicles a day as they can. I have had two rides painted by the local MAACO and was very pleased. the last is a OT pick-up truck that I had painted during one of their "specials " promotions. they charged $100 extra for a truck, like most places do. plus, another $100 for a sealer to cover their 2 year warranty. had a little body work done too. did not have door jambs done or under hood - I did them with rattle cans. did take off bumpers, etc. all toll it cost me $500. The paint is still as shiny as it was when I brought it home. only wax it once a year. people compliment me on how good it looks. the main guy is a long time body shop guy. two of the body shop guys had worked at well known regular body shops. I am not a painter beyond primer and can not afford a $5K paint job. have had several rides painted at other discount places too. the only bad looking job was a $199 job done by Earl Schieb years ago. your ride, do what you want with it.

9. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I've had good luck with 1 Day Paint And Body. If you want a really good paint job, do your own body work if you can, disassemble as much as you can and supply your own paint. During winter, when it's slow, asked them to put more paint on the car and if the will color sand and buff. My friend built a '55 Chevy for his girlfriend. He did the above and the car came out fantastic. He also had them do his numbers matching '69 Chevelle SS.

10. Years ago, I was repairing cars and painting them ($300.00 paint jobs and I did the jambs! bodywork was extra).
    I got really busy one month and couldnt keep up with painting. I would have to clear out the garage and clean it thoroughly for the paint job.
    This process (clean, final sand, mask, paint and reassemble) took three days of garage space and I didnt have that kind of time.
    I loaded up my PPG or Dupont paint, trailered the fully prepped and masked car to the local Maaco and they would paint it for $100.00.
    Saved my ass and the paint hardly needed any wet sand/buffing.

I did about ten cars this way and it kept me working without having to waste days screwing around cleaning the garage for a paint job.

You hand them the right materials, a fully prepped car and you get a long lasting paint job.

Just my experience...

11. A couple years ago a guy had a MAACO painted, off topic Nova at a local car show my work sponsored. The car looked damn good. Obviously, not colosseum quality but nice enough that some folks were asking who did the paint. He said that he did the body work and removed all the trim and the bumpers so the masking was a no brainer for the body men. In this case the job was quite satisfactory for a car you actually plan to drive.

12. abc123

abc123

This is ancient history from 1978 but might be useful. I did the bodywork and used spray can primer on a slightly OT van. I removed everything that could be unbolted and had a One-Day or Maaco place mask the windows, mask a two-tone and spray it. It came out without a run or any visible problems. The masking was perfect as were the door jambs. The paint was Nason enamel and it was still in fine condition when I sold the vehicle nine years later. If the work at the shop you're considering looks OK, I say use 'em to paint only -- like the others, I wouldn't trust them for bodywork.

13. classic L.B.

classic L.B.

Ive been a bodyman 40 years,On daily drver everyday vehicle, for little ole ladys and such with not much money I do all bodywork and removal ,plus prep..at my home shop, .send em to macco $300 out the door (manager deal), I usually charge $400 ,and fix a few dings, Do your patch work, yourself if you have the skills, Then find ya a guy that works at a reputable shop to prep it at your house or somewhere you wont be hassled,pay him 4 or 500 ,then if you must... take it there, ,Usually not a bad paint job for less than a grand ! and if they botch the paint they redo it and you have enough paint on it to color sand and buff if you want...But Remember ...as stated You get what you pay for, the paint materials they use are manufactured cheaply , just for Macco

14. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I've never used maaco personally but I've done some sanding and prep work and I gotta say, if your gonna do all the patches and prep, why not just rent a paint booth and spray it yourself? The body shop down the road from me will let you use the booth for Saturday and Sunday for $100 if you sign a waiver saying you agree to clean up to their standard and not use anything else on the premises. This may be a rare deal (the owner is an awesome guy), but look into it

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

oh oh beep beep better get Maaco. I had a car painted by Macco once and I was happy with it and it was a better paint job then the previous one, which was done by a "body shop" and costed me 3x what the Maaco job costed me.

16. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I used to work at a Maaco 25 years ago. The shop I worked at was anal about quality going out the door. According to the book, the cheep job was only scuff sanded at the panel edges and wiped down with cleaner. We always did more cause the boss had a personal standard to meet. We read about other shops with a crew of three putting out a dozen cars a day.( we couldn't touch that). As everyone else says, clean and sand it yourself, remove all trim, and be nice to the shop, you will likely be happy with the results.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

When I had my shop in another town, that is exactly what I used to do. MAACO usually hires a really good painter, and have very good paint booths. I would do all the bodywork, AND sanding, supply the paint, and let them do it, on "quicky" jobs for rleatives, neighbors, or collision stuff. I would always talk to the actual painter (the managers were clueless, trying to tell me about having to do bodywork on the cars, after I spent a week doing just that!) and throw them a tip before doing the job.
    They never disappointed me....though I've heard bad things about other MAACOs in my area. Know who you are dealing with!
    Almost all of the ones I knew of, hired kids and dummies for bodywork and prep, to save money, so don't let them do that part!

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

If I had a car needing paint and the only thing available was a Maaco paint job, I'd do all the bodywork, remove the trim and mask it myself. I'd take it to Maaco and let them paint it. Then I'd burn the SOB to the ground. I've learned a long time ago that if you can't do something right don't it at all.

19. oldolds

oldolds

Here is a place for cheap paint. Materials for complete paint job $239. I have used their stuff. It's ok. just ok, not great. Cheap sandpamer and other supplies too.

20. elitecustombody

elitecustombody

MAACO is franchise,so every store is owned,run by different people .But it's still a place to get a cheap paint job. So expect that. Remove all trim,glass,bumpers, do all the prep work before bringing it in. Ask them to blow it off ,wipe and tack it very well,offer a good tip if they do that, it will save the paint job from bunch of trash in the paint. I have MAACO literally right next door to my shop and see their work all the time. Their painter can lay the paint nice and slick, but he doesn't care so much about blowing and tacking before spraying, cause there is always a lot of trash in the paint.

In the end ,you get what you pay for.

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I think they were better when the price was 39.95! Gary

22. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

How to get a bad $399 paint job at Maaco.

The finished paint job is affected by the condition of the finish when you bring it into their shop.

If you have a lot of chips, expect runs as chips cause runs!

If you have flaking paint, expect paint to flake off of your car in the future.

If your car is doused with wax or Armor all, expect fish eyes.

If your car is all acid spotted with chemicials or bird shit, expect colored bird shit when you get it back.

If your car is all blistered and rusty, you will get colored blisters and rust back.

if your car is all dented and ratty, expect a dented rat when you get it back.

It is all in the lack of preperation that you refuse to pay for!

If you look on their wall, you will see signs that explain different price paint jobs and what they will do in each case.

For $399, you will get a nice shinney car when viewed at 100' at 100 MPH.
    Well worth the $399.

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I had some cars painted there thay were one color I was happy and didnt expect much got what I paided for.

24. elitecustombody

elitecustombody

The MAACO next door to my shop does about 10 cars a day. 2 prep guys,2 masking and 1 painter for full paint jobs. That's 40-50 minutes per car from start to finish. Years ago I had them paint some cheap car, drop it off at 8:30 am, it was out the oven by 11:30. And I used to get them done for $165

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here, I've seen some good paint jobs come out of the one that is closest to me where the car/truck owners did all of their own body work and had the vehicle through the prime and block sand phase.

I'd do all of my own body work, block and prep it and strip off any and everything that I didn't want them to paint. Then take it down.

Years ago I watched a guy pull into a car wash here in Yakima with a mid 60's GTO and wash the Maaco paint job off the car in the car wash in big strips. It's all in the prep or lack of prep.

26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My secretary had her OT Camry painted five years ago by Maaco. She didn't get the cheapest job but moved up to the next higher finish. She told me it was under $500. After reading this thread, I went out into the parking lot to have a good look at her car. The paint shines great, no orange peel, no runs, no overspray. She said they gave it a 4-yr guarantee, so it's gone beyond that.

I would say it depends on the shop, the owner, the manager and the personnel that work in that shop. Look at work they've done before. If it's quality work, go for it. If it's crappy, don't!

27. Did the same thing with my daughters DD about 10 years ago. I did the prep and even masked off certain areas, meaning I removed everything I could easily and then masked the rest. I too caught a "special" and went up one step - I want to say $550? - anyway, it really came out nice to the point that it looked so good I didn't want her to drive it around and get her first door-ding and/or rock chip! We sold the car about 9 months later but after being outside one winter, through a hot summer, and parked in a college parking lot, it still looked great.

28. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Hey I'm old enough to remember Earl Schibe's "Any Car Any Color $19.95" Talk about a shitty paint job. The poor slobs who insisted on the cheep got the chrome,glass.bumpers and everything else painted as masking was extra. But on the subject at hand I had a Friend have Macco paint his Chevelle wagon that he prepped and delivered to them as a shell, later that afternoon it had the deepest black paint that you thought deep enough to step into.He was totally satisfied. We have 2 Macco's in my area and there always busy. Ralphie

29. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Way back in the 60's my buddies younger brother prepped his 57 Chev 2dr, primed it, bought paint and reducer and headed to Omaha to Maaco. We laughed. Up until he got it home, that is. They painted it early and sat it outside like an "ad"--in short, it was a flawless job. Don't know if that happens these days, but it happened back then.

30. Gman0046

Gman0046

Why would anyone pay Maaco to screw up your car when you can do it yourself.