Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods M21 clutch problems!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Camron.est1991, May 28, 2017.

1. Camron.est1991

Camron.est1991

It worked with the clutch that I got the truck with, however it was pretty burnt up. I then took the old clutch to napa told them I need a new one just like it. I installed the new one and it gave the issues I described, ran every number I could find on my M21, found out it came out of a 65 chevy passenger car, so I ordered a new clutch from summit for a 65 chevelle, same issues. Also I have a brand new flywheel.

2. Camron.est1991

Camron.est1991

The clutch is posted further up in the thread

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It came with burnt up clutch......something must not be correct from the start.

4. Camron.est1991

Camron.est1991

It was my grandfathers project and when he passed away I took it over. It wasn't completely gone but it wasn't the best so I decided to go ahead and get a new clutch

5. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Did it work good before you fixed it? Were you ever able to try it or was the master cylinder rod broken from the start? I would adjust it until it touches the pressure plate fingers and see if it works then. You can't leave it like that but it will give you an idea if you need more travel Check to see if the clutch arm hits the side of the hole in the bell housing limiting it's travel. As has been said, there are several different length pivot balls and pivot arms for the various bell housings. You may need a longer pivot if the arm stops against the opening. Lakewood makes an adjustable pivot.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lak-15501
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjustable-GM-Bellhousing-Clutch-Fork-Pivot,712.html
    [​IMG]

6. Camron.est1991

Camron.est1991

Yes it worked fine, I replaced the clutch(used alignment tool and everything) and I couldn't get it to work, the slave he had then went to leaking and he had some shotty bracket he made for it just for the mean time, so that's when I got the new wilwood master and a 87 Gm stock hydraulic slave, still wouldn't work. I have already adjusted the throw bearing right against the fingers and it still would not disengage. The throw out bearing is the exact same hieght as the original, it's just a metal one instead of plastic.

7. Camron.est1991

Camron.est1991

Also the arm doesn't bottom out on the back of the bellhousing, and I have full throw from my slave. I have the slave as close as I can to the fork also for maximum throw(still allowing for the air gap between the throwout bearing and fingers).

8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Over adjust the clutch , have soeone hold the pedal to the floor , see if you can turn the driveshaft w/ the trans in gear , if that releases it , you got the wrong pivot ball / fork / slave cyl , if not , then there's something wrong w/the clutch/ pilot bearing...

9. Camron.est1991

Camron.est1991

I've tried that, I can't get it to release at all, and I installed the brand new pilot bushing that came with it, and that's two brand new clutchs that do the same thing so idk how there can be an issue with pilot bushing or the clutch it's self, I read a couple of forums one on a corvette forum and the other on an ls1 forum where people have had to space the pressure plate from the flywheel. So I bought a shim kit from summit and we will see if it works.

10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

All you'll do shimming the PP is reduce the clamping force &wear the clutch out sooner...When you installed the new pilot are you sure it's driven to the correct depth ?? nick or damage the bushing ??

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017