Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lynwood California begins to take notice of former Barris Kustom shop.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Masterson Kustoms, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Fantastic news.. Brad has been working on this and beautifying Lynwood after hours even... If they can get rid of that muffler shop and preserve both buildings it would be amazing!!!

2. Great news Brad,it has taken a while but its good to know they are finally adressing this.
    I will be sending letter tomorrow hopefully if not the next day.Show em some of the city hall pics we did,im sure you already have long ago.:)

3. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

how about a sticky on this so we can get more letters for Brad?
    i sent mine already brad, hope it helps.

4. abc123

abc123

I've just sent an email in support. Hey guys, don't wait to send yours "later." Do it now!

5. elricho

elricho

Just sent mine from Australia-best of luck!!!!

6. thesupersized

thesupersized

cool stuff! just emailed ya my letter, from NJ!

7. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

8. 1959apache

1959apache

sent an email to you from Indy, keep us updated

9. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Great news! Let me know what Adriene and I can do to assist in a nomination.
    Give me a buzz when u get a min.

11. Yep, everyone loves this iconic workshop. Surly one of the best recognised and historic shops from the golden era of customising. Even my son Matt built a authentic scale replica of the place, and we are on the other side of the world!:eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

They need to be informed of the important cars built and worked on by Barris. They need to know how some of these vehicles draw huge crowds at car shows they are displayed at today. Imagine the turn out if some of those cars were on display at his old shop...

13. E-mail sent.
    Later,
    Dick

14. Rikster

Rikster

I send the letter...

And another bump...

Come on guys... this is a really great opportunity to save some very important US automotive history!

Think about the possibilities if this building could be rebuilt as the former Barris Shop.

15. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Yes. Sent it. Thanks
    Slim

16. alchemy

alchemy

I'll be the Debbie Downer (or Bill Burnham), but do you really want the City and/or Government dictating what can be done with the building. Sure, they may offer a grant to restore the building, but then they "own" you. As Mazooma1 said, read EVERYTHING before you sign anything.

I live in the oldest building in my county. A couple decades ago I researched what was available for funding, and any info on registering with the National Register for Hysterical Places. In my case, I found that the outer appearance of the building must be restored to exactly as original. No ability for you to deviate, even to make the place more livable.

My brother recently looked into grants to restore an old barn. They were very similar, meaning he had to use original type siding and wood shingles. The cost would have been TONS more than the grant was worth to him.

Beware.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. I think this would be great but I am not really sure I understand this. Does the city have the ability to force the current owner to evict paying tenants? If not what will change other than the fact the building won't be able to be changed without permission from the government?

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The consent must be granted by the owners, not the tenants.
    There are different, yet similar requirements for a local, state or national designation all of which can include a panel to select exterior color, roofing materials, etc.
    To get off of a registry listing would require the owners comply with CEQA, the "California Environmental Quality Act" and also provide an EIR, a "Environmental Impact Report" at their expense.
    There are tax benefits to the owner in the way of property taxes, but only if the City of Lynwood has a "Cultural Heritage" ordinance and also includes provisions for the "Mills Act". ....otherwise, NO tax breaks.
    There's some comments on here that seem to indicate that there would be a "grant" to restore the Barris Shop in some way and even provide monies or some sort of "working" Barris-style activity.
    Not going to happen, boys and girls.

I dealt with dozens of these in my years and I had dealt with owners trying to get on a list and owners trying to get off a list.
    We have an ordinance that requires the owners consent for a listing.
    Some cities just require someone to say..."hey, that place is historic, let's put it on a list and put a plaque in the front yard".
    A historic property must follow one or more of these criteria:
    A famous person lived there
    A famous event took place there
    A famous person designed the structure

So...obviously, the Barris shop would qualify for one of these criteria.

But, it could lead to having a commission or panel be directly involved with any changes, colors, building materials or and exterior changes that might be made.
    The owner would have to obtain a "Certificate of Appropriateness" before making changes.

Now, I'm no lawyer, but these are very tricky and touchy issues.
    The historical preservation folks have done a great job preserving many wonderful structures in the Los Angeles area, so don't be fearful, but be forewarned that details and attorneys will need to get involved. It's not all fun and games.
    Careful here, kids.....this could be really great or a giant headache....

19. 53chevy

53chevy

Awesome! Will get a letter together.

Kenny

20. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Great news Brad, the only thing that worries me is if you would lose your grandfather clause, would the building would still be zoned for a body shop, would you have to bring the building up to current code like hadicapp parking and bathroom, fire sprinclers, electrical instalation and all the other stuff city and state like to enforse, I guess you have to do your home work but the thought is a noble one and it is important to think ahead, if you do nothing and something happens to the current owner, too many times a historic building is torn down to build a strip mall, you always have worry aboat the greedy developers. You had the foresight to preserve the building , hopefully everything will turn out all right.

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Buildings put on a historical registry are exempt from UBC, Uniform Building Codes.
    Most are allowed to have building standards that were applicable at the time the building was constructed.

22. So does Lynwood require the owners consent to designate a building historic and if so is the current owner on board with this?

23. TJratz

TJratz

Letter sent!

24. Keith English

Keith English

BTT....and email sent earlier Brad.

25. Email sent and word spread:cool:

26. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Bump for Lynwood!!

27. Masterson Kustoms

Masterson Kustoms

Day two. Breif meeting to with The Director of Development Services. He is trying to schedule a meeting to discuss a plan of action to at the very least inform city officials as to why this needs to happen and the overall effect it will have on a side of town that has been ignored for years. Thanks to everyone that has sent letters al ready. If you haven't already sent one there is still time. Please send emails of interest and or support to mastersonkla@yahoo.com. Just a side note but even with the historical landmark bullshit aside. The place just should be made into a traditional custom shop again. We wouldn't NEED to put it on any registry or have it be a landmark on paper cause I think everyone would be happy with seeing lead being melted on custom work and cars slithering around the streets again.

28. That would be super cool Brad!! Is the current owner being cooperative or is that kind of the whole point of this that he doesn't give a shit what an important piece of automotive history this building is?

29. Letter sent and wishing for the best.

30. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Brad, this could be really KOOL or turn out really bad when the government gets involved! The repair shop in there now, do they own the building or are they just renting??? Best of luck