Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Luzader's '22'

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Jan 31, 2014.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

2. Always been one of my favorite race cars but I never knew about the motel!

3. I grew up like many reading about that icon!

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great story, Thanks for sharing it. Harry's 'Coupe has been an inspiration to me for 40 years, it's one of those cars that speaks to me.... "Build me"!

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

linkee to other Luzader threads no workee

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

One of my favorite cars !! THANKS Chris

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've mentioned before that I lived a few miles from Monroeville, where Harry had his motel. I watched his Deuce pull the wheels lots of times at PID and loved that car.

Sometime in the 70's a friend told me Harry was selling the 32, sans motor and trans, to fund building his Opel gasser. I called Harry and spoke with him about it, and he wanted $ 6,000 for the car. Since I was a struggling Father of two, trying to just keep a roof over our heads, $ 6,000 was like a million dollars to me, so I had to pass. :( God, what that car is worth today !

Don

I just reread that story you posted and noticed something very interesting.........and maybe really far out. I recently posted that my Dad sold my 32 five window out from under me when I was 11, it was also a four cylinder Deuce. Since we lived right near Monroeville, (and Harry and I are similar in age) wouldn't it be something if my Deuce turned out to be the one Harry bought and turned into his !!!!!!!!! :eek::eek: I mean, since a lot of 32's were V8 cars, and Harry's and mine were 4 cylinder cars, could it be ?????

We'll never know, unfortunately, but stranger things have happened.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  8. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

Does anyone know where the Luzader coupe is today?

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

I never knew about his A,but I remember the Opel.An amazing little car.But 6k for a roller back in the 70s,that's stout.

10. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Good research Joey! Pretty badass car. I liked the story also. Thanks for sharing.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, I paid $10,000 for my house back then. I remember the conversation with Harry that day very well. He was a super nice guy but I got off the phone thinking he was nuts wanting that much money for it. Here I was the crazy one ! :eek: Should have put a double mortgage on the house.

To give some perspective on it, around that exact same time a body shop guy I knew traded a Corvette for a 32 that came out of California. The Vette was worth about $2500 and his buddies all told him he was crazy to give that much for the 32. The Deuce was a showcar and had been professionally built. Every part on it was chrome plated, even the motor mounts and every little piece. He was pulling the 371 Olds (also completely chromed and built) and putting a 427 Chevy in it so I bought the Olds and Cad LaSalle floor shift setup for $ 175.00. He had no use for the "obsolete Olds." (but I did ) When I say everything was chrome plated, I mean EVERYTHING, except for the block.

That is why Harry's 32 seemed so overpriced for the time, but it sure would be a bargain if we only knew it would become so iconic.

Don

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  12. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

My all time favorite 32 five window.

13. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

It's perfect...full fendered and no chop. Won't be long and guys will have to unchop one for this look.

14. flamingokid

flamingokid

I bought a 63 split window in 1981 and an old guy(probably 35)tried trading me a 32 roadster straight up.I almost went for it,but I was too smart for that.Instead,I traded for a 633 CSI.That's how smart I am ;)

15. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I've saved a few pictures of it.

Meltdown Drags July 18-20 2014

Attached Files:

16. DH9185

DH9185

This one's from my files.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

17. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Very cool story about a drag racing car with a rich history.

Great story. Jimbo

18. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

"Hi, my name is Joey and I come up with the coolest stories ever."

J.Ukrop likes this.
  19. I took the photo on the right of the 3 posted by II FUNNY at Cecil County, Maryland. I was pitted next to Harry with my '56 Chevy gasser.

20. Fedman

Fedman

Rich, what year are we looking at?

Thanks, Brian

21. flamingokid

flamingokid

Every time Joey posts a story,I make plans to build another model.

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When Harry and his 32 would pull up to the starting line no one in the stands was still sitting. We had to stand to watch him lift the front wheels in each of the 4 gear changes. That little Deuce was quick. I think it was somewhere between 65 and 67 that we got to watch him race at Pittsburgh International Dragway every weekend.

Don

23. Either 1963 or '64.

24. floored

floored

I used to haul steel on 22 through Monroeville every week, you just don't think about the history that happened long before you passed through.

Ron

25. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

I seem to recall he won the U.S. Nationals one year with the Ford.

26. Andamo

Andamo

Harry's '32 sits in a body shop in Turtle Creek which is real close to Monroeville. Harry's tried numerous times to buy the car back, but the owner of the body shop won't budge. Harry still has the Opel sitting in a garage put there years ago and never touched after the motor let go.
    I was at the garage behind the motel that stored the '32 and his brother's coupe that had a new style Hemi in it. They had pits under the cars with steps and it was the first I had ever seen something like that. I had bought a set of mags for my '40 coupe at Brougher's and the wheels were Harry's that Woody had agreed to try and sell. Going from the dirt floor and 1 light bulb at Brougher's to Harry's palatial garage was eye opening.

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I bought my first set of American Torque Thrusts from Broughers in about 64-65. They were in Pleasant Hills (I think) at that time but later moved to another part of town. That is where I went to the sale when they closed their doors in the 70's. No one was interested in the old timey parts they were selling, except me, so I was able to get a lot of great parts pretty cheap. Wish I had known then what I know now, I would have bought a lot more.

You mentioned a body shop in Turtle Creek, and we lived right near there in about 1970. I bought an Olds engine from a body shop guy that came out of a 32 that came from California......he had traded a Vette for it and was putting a BBC in place of the Olds. Wonder if it was the same guy who bought Harry's 32 also ?

Small world.

Don

28. Andamo

Andamo

Don, when I bought the wheels Woody was located in Lincoln Place and it was like stepping back in time with the dirt floors, dirty light bulb and the street cars RIGHT in front of the door. I'm thinking this was in the 62-63 era because I bought the '40 in New Kensington in '62. I wish I could remember what the make of those wheels were now.
    If Harry comes to the PID Reunion dinner this Thursday, I'll try and remember to ask him about the body shop in Turtle Creek.

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

He will probably remember the body shop guy. Tell him in about 1970 the guy there traded a mid 60's Vette for the 32 out of California. It was a former show car with 371 Olds/Cad LaSalle, and the guy was putting a 427 Chevy into it. The car later ended up on the East Coast of Pa with a sbc in it and I saw it in a magazine. I bet Harry knows him. For some reason the last name Gatto rings a bell with me, but not sure about that.

Please do try to get Harry to come on here, it would be really great if he could. I know I have a lot of questions for him and I bet others do too.

Don

30. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I have a bunch of video clips of this car running...its one of my all time favorites...Surprised it was never redone....Shit, I jus laugh when I see all these 32s being built with no fenders and chop...(flashmob cars)...esp if they were unchopped to begin with when this is the look in my opinion...great car!!