Register now to get rid of these ads!

LUCKY's SPEED SHOP...Garland, TX...Closing the Doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hamilton, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Just got off the phone with Wayne at Lucky's...he's locking the doors July 31st and everything is being sold at a discount, cash only....Tues.-Fri. 9-5pm, Sat. 10-3pm....call him at 972-205-9777 for directions.....

2. that sucks, he is a good guy, help this guy out in any way you can

reddog

3. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I tried... a little too late. Called him this morning about setting him up with a website and ebay stuff and he told me the bad news. [​IMG] Damn we just can't keep hot rod shops around in DFW.

4. Sorry to hear about that. I hate to ask, but anyone know what is up for sale?

5. every thing in his shop is at 10% off, cash only, im sure it will be cheaper as the dead line drwas closer

6. slammed

slammed

Sorry to here this. Back lash of the mega Wharehouse's and Big chain's. Gas station's too. 2 BP gas/conv. store's
    (owned by the infamous Rothschild's) came town (pop.5000) and now, the last full service station went down. Progress? Only for a few. Good luck to this fellow.

7. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

I have been told that Wayne was given the oppurtunity to promote his business thru Cruisin Times magazine via add/write up, but would not return calls to do so. Maybe he lost the drive to do so. It sucks not to have any kool shops around.

8. Elrusto

Elrusto

WELL SHIT!!!! [​IMG]

9. candyman

candyman

Yeah.. pops told me about wayne closing the doors a couple weeks ago. I guess he was trying to sell it. Just wasn't turning enough profit. My pops was trying to help as much as he could too. It's just hard being in a small specialty business these days. Specially with hotrods... I mean they are trying to keep em off the road right?

10. Dirty2

Dirty2

Yea that sux!!! [​IMG] Wayne is a good guy and has always helped me !!!

11. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Maybe you texas guys could put your cash toghether and buy it? The first HAMB speed shop? hmmmmmmmmm

12. Lomino

Lomino
    from Dallas, TX

I heard at one point he was thinking about selling and this past weekend heard this very sad news. Wayne has and will always be a good friend of the family. He recently helped us get some much needed parts for my Bros truck. I hate to see this happen to such a Kool shop.

13. handyman

handyman

Reddog, it's a little late to be encouraging people to help Wayne and Karen out...they are closing shop...maybe they could have kept the business going if they had a dollar for every time PEOPLE came by and stood around TALKING when they should have been PURCHASING!..<font color="red"> </font>

14. ouch! howabouts the intro coolride??

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I hate to hear news like this. There doesn't seem to be any good old speed shops left. I like to deal with someone I can see and talk to on a personal level, not some impersonal know-it-all 500 miles away that could give a damn about your unique situation. Just give me the part number, your credit card number, and address. We'll ship it if we have it, and if it doesn't fit or it's the wrong part, tough crap. Rant over.

Frank

16. I'll get flamed for this but Wayne could have help himself more.

Not using E-Bay, no web site, and having little or no
    computer skills makes it very difficult these days. It is
    almost a prerequisite.

I went to his shop for the first time last weekend, but
    have seen him selling shirts at shows. Selling a shirt and
    Mooneyes hat a day won't pay the rent.

Unfourtunatley this is exactly what happened to Pro Built
    who used to be in Hurst. I miss stopping by there on a Sat.

17. handyman

handyman

flt-blk, ya got one thing right...consider yourself FLAMED !!!!

18. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

This really stinks for Wayne...I hope he gets through all the stuff okay. I hate to see another shop go down, esp. one that has good stuff. I hope he lands on his feet, he really is a nice guy.

[ QUOTE ]
    flt-blk, ya got one thing right...consider yourself FLAMED !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, who the heck are you "toolride?" Tradition is an intro before you pull a 'tude dude/dude-et. [​IMG]

19. Wayne won't disappear, he'll be back...I think he's got gas &amp; oil in the veins.....

20. handyman

handyman

Now, who the heck are you "toolride?" Tradition is an intro before you pull a 'tude dude/dude-et. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a hotrodder who dosen't like to see a man kicked when he's down..tradition? don't need an intro. [​IMG]

21. oh shit somebody better look out...espically if Rashy is on!!

22. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a hotrodder who dosen't like to see a man kicked when he's down..tradition? don't need an intro. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="green"> Stating facts is not kicking a man when he is down.

You may have something important to say coolride, but most of us won't give a shit now.

Here's a great idea, why don't you find a group of people that pretty much protect each other, then run into the middle of them spouting some shit.

Oh yeah, be sure to start picking on one of the more respected members of the group for stating facts.

That outta get you REAL far in life.

If you are some kinda business partner or were giving him advice, I can see where he may have been hindered.

PUTZ

RASHY </font>

23. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    oh shit somebody better look out...espically if Rashy is on!!

[/ QUOTE ] [​IMG]

24. that's what I was saying [​IMG]

25. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

<font color="green">I'm here to help! [​IMG] </font>

26. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Fat-BLk is right. Wayne said he had some people offer to help with a site before and they all fell through. Summit &amp; Jegs have wiped out super shops and most other performance parts stores through volume-pricing and convenince. They also set the standard for every other aftermarket parts store. Everyone now is expected to have at a minimum a website. Most are expected to have online ordering. Even an Ebay store would have helped.

I don't blame wayne though. Through talking on the phone with him he just seems like a guy that does things the way there were done. My grandfather is the same way.

You can only have so many friends and they can only afford to buy so many parts. You need to advertise these days and everyone starts looking on the internet.

Rant:eek:ff

27. and i bet the location he was in was pretty pricey, right on the corner, it was the spot to be, i liked the set up he had there

28. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

[ QUOTE ]
    don't need an intro. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sure...whatever.

I hope Wayne gets another car soon and keeps in touch after the door closes. Maybe the good side to this is once he is back on his feet he can start hitting shows and cruises more often than he was since he had to work at the shop on Saturdays.

29. handyman

handyman

You may have something important to say coolride, but most of us won't give a shit now.

RASHY </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

well somebody got their pants/panties in a wad didn't they...I must have hit a nerve...I guess it's ok for your friend to criticize the manner in which Wayne operated his business but it's not ok to respond about it because he happens to be your friend that you protect...give me a break...grow up.