Register now to get rid of these ads!

LUCKEY GUY, me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61 chevy, Feb 26, 2011.

1. 61 chevy

61 chevy

the old 61 lost its brakes today, luckey i was able to turn in a parking lot,and lemp it home 5 blocks, a new master cly is on the way :eek:

2. good time to update to dual. might not be so lucky next time.

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Upgrade to a dual pot, replace the rubber lines, and go over every inch of existing hard line with a magnifying glass... Brakes are something you dont f*ck around with!

I lost the brakes on a car twenty-some years ago, and I still have nightmares about it to this day!

4. 58prostreet

58prostreet

Definetly go to dual resivior. Mine went on '52 dodge and just missed T-bone another car as I sailed thru the stop light.
    Bob

5. yup,
    re-do that sucker.. a dual pot master aint that expensive, neither are new rubber and steel lines, had a mustang loose brakes.. never again..

6. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

when i first got my 55 the crank pulley wore through the brake line and i rode that thing til it went back up the hill and slammed it in park. got a 70 chevelle dual master cylinder that day for $20 and re routed all the hard lines!

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nice to be lucky sometimes.. Glad you didn't hurt it..........

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nothing like that sinking feeling of no brakes to crap yourself :eek:. Good to hear it turned out ok. Like others said go dual circuit.

9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

glad you made it ok . mechanical brakes dont do that ! LOL .. steve

10. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Things can happen even when everything is good. Put newer offset rims and wider tires on my 57 Pontiac. Checked to make sure I had clearance all the way around. But didn't notice my flexline was rubbing on hard corners. Found out when I was making one of those hard corners and it finally wore through. Was still running the single jar and it went to the floor of course. Got 3.2 miles back home using the emergency brakes. Learned to check that one more little detail after that.........

11. 26 roadster

26 roadster

stroke of luck, learned to drive on a new 61 Impala, 3 speed, looked like your avatar.
    still love them
    time to upgrade, damn traditional

12. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I would go to a dual master also and make sure the E brake is in working order.

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I guess you guys are reccommending dual reservoirs because you've never had one fail I speak from experience here; they can fail too! I pulled up to a stop light in my Camaro and was sitting there when the pedal suddenly dropped to the floor with no warning! I hit it again, but it went right top the floor. By this time I was in the intersection with cars coming, so I blipped the trottle and then hit the e brake to stop once I was through.
    I limped home using the E brake on the back streets, but it was a scarey deal, and a big surprise! Put a new master in and it was all good again!

14. Willy301

Willy301

Lost brakes a couple times in one of our old fire trucks, way too big of a truck for hydraulic brakes but it was a former Ryder truck. It sure is scary but thankfully it is a stick shift. Dumped the water out of it (2000 gallons) and was able to drive it back to the station. We have since upgraded to a newer tanker with air brakes.

15. big bad john

big bad john

.....You really are a lucky man.......I mean you did'nt wreck your Chevy or get hurt...Now before you fix the car.....run out and buy a lotto ticket....Luck only lasts a little while

16. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Yes they can. But a dual circuit has two separate reservoirs, and two separate pistons.
    99% of the time when a dual pot fails, you will still have 1/2 the brakes left [either front or back], and you will notice the incresed pedal travel and reduced braking. At least then you have an opportunity to stop the car.

When a jelly jar fails, it's all over, do not pass go, do not collect $200!!!