Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lubrication for Friction Shocks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COOP666, Dec 1, 2011.

1. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

I'm futzing with the friction shocks on my '46, and my old Ford service manual indicates that I need to lubricate with Genuine FORD Shock Absorber Fluid. (I don't think I can find that at Autozone.) Any suggestions?

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Friction shocks or lever action hydraulic????

For hydraulic, you can use hydraulic jack oil, motorcycle fork oil, and we used to use STP in our Austin Healy Bugeye for hillclimbs and auto cross (probably a bit stiff for road going vehicles) agricultural hydraulic fluid and brake fluid (do 3) would probably work also.

For friction shocks, I would guess lubricating them is contrary to their function.

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

Yeah, sounds like he's confused over the terminology. Easy to do since they look similar, but if they're original to the car, they're lever hydraulic.

Bob

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Houdaille shocks use their own fluid which is NOT oil based. If you put an oil product in there it will curdle the fluid and gum them up.

From memory I think the fluid contained glycerine and Kayro syrup but wouldn't bet on it. An antique Ford parts place should have the correct fluid, whatever it is.

Later. I found the source for the Houdaille fluid quote, according to a 1936 formula book it is 90% Karo white syrup, 10% alcohol.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

5. Call these guys for advice Coop.

All Ford Parts

1600 Dell Ave Ste A
    Campbell, <abbr class="region">
    CA</abbr>

(408) 378-1934

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  6. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

You should first check what is in the shocks already through the filler hole. I've found one of three things in them;

If they've been rebuilt before they might have oil based fluid. The liquid will have a color and smell like a petroleum product. Add jack fluid.

If they are original, then water-based glycerin. Glycerin is colorless and has a light smell, not petroleum like. Add Glycerin.

Thirdly, you might find a clumpy/chunky fluid --clear with grey blobs. Yes, it's glycerin & oil mixed together! A rebuild may be the next step.

7. fordor41

fordor41

I've used hydraulic jack oil in mine for 18 yrs. I change it occasionally and have never seen it curdle or gum up.

8. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

Thanks for the info - yeah, they are hydraulic lever action - the stock ones that came on the car. I figured it was some kind of hydraulic fluid, but the glycerin - never would have figured that.