Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lube up your orCA Betties and grab your Galoshes! its the MONTHLY BANGER MEETING!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Nov 30, 2006.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

an aero engined cycle car...i think i am have delussions of granduer!!! rock out!!

2. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Neal Jern
    6303 Mullen Parkway Redding, CA. 96001 (530) 244-0277 [email protected] Tell em Jared sent ya.

3. G'day Wrong-Un, that is what I thought about finding a 3-port head here in Australia but in March I found out about an Auction in April which listed a Chev 3-port so I drove the 2 3/4 hr drive and picked the car up for 175 + 17.50 GST = $192.50 so it's not entirely impossible + you have an advantage with the value of the British pound.:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Neal has heads and the prices are reasonable.

5. I've lusted over an Olds 3 port head but it would have to be on a Chevy block. Not just any Chevy block but the early version ('24?) before they hacked the centre main to run the dizzy drive through it.

I've never been a fan of the Neal Jern conversion. The adaptor plate which is in effect the combustion chamber has what looks like bad valve shrouding caused by the misalignment of the head and block. This must lead to a large combustion chamber which will cause a lack of compression, which is not an idea situation for an ohv.

Why would you want an early Chevy head anyway? The Chevy guys don't even want them opting for the Olds head instead!

6. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

$1600 for the whole spiel, head and all. 6.5 to 1. The olds head is RARE and only has a 1 to 1 rocker ratio which sucks compared to the chevy-read more pricey machinework to get that olds head to flow like it should on paper with the extra ports. The true proof will be in the pudding and I am going to share my research. I have spoke to multiple happy customers.

7. Olds 3-port came out on the Oldsmobile 43A, T commercial, Chevrolet also had the 3-port on FB passenger vehicles (my 3-port is a Chev).

The '25 Chev block is the one most people use as it is the newest block that has the full centre main & not the Hollowed centre main of later '26-'28 blocks. The '24 I feel would be a better choice as I have seen a number of '25 blocks crack at the back and up into the deck, the '24 has a motor mount cast into this area and it has some meaty webbing which would stop these cracks from happening.

the 2-port allows a dizzy in the stock location, 3-ports you need to run a Mag.
    Cheers
    Jimmy

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thank you. I have most of the parts, just need to get a few more to finish the kit. Thanks!

9. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I got a secret "oldie " or two left. Neal is a patient man to deal with. I have met some onry (sp) old racers in this four banger undertaking. I lost a complete gemsa ("You're not qualified to buy this motor." , rutherford head, and a single overhead cammer in my hunt . "Wha'dya mean how much hp does it make? , I never dyno'd nuttin, I 'll tell ya boy I got a T motor that'll beat the bunch of em". Sometimes I say too much, other times too many newbie questions and that sinks my boat. Next time I have a shot at some cool old speed shit, I am gonna say how much and buy it or STFU. Just my experience. Happy hunting.

10. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Am trying to find the torque values for the Model A head, I've found 50ftlbs does that sound right to you lot??

Outback

11. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Answer: Torque all 14 head nuts to 50 lbs. this includes the water outlets. However twist the torque wrench on these two slowly. The method you used is fine and use the gasket provided in the gasket kit. Head nuts should be torqued when cold in 5 lbs. steps, i.e. start at 35, 40, 45 and then 50 lbs....warm the engine up and then torque at 50 lbs. again. Drive the A about 100 miles or so and torque the head one final time at 50 lbs.. That should last you for many many miles. -- Lyle Meek, Technical Director Borrowed from mafca.com-great site

12. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I know i am a bit late getting in on the monthly banger meeting, however this is too cool not to show somebody.:) :)

My speedster has a home made header and intake for two Holley NH carbs. We came up with a couple gears from McMaster Carr and a chain to tie the two metering jets together and then needed something for a dash control as well.
    Just ripped over a very old unusable right angle drill. A few minutes with the cut off saw, some time cleaning and lubing and the dash mounted knob will now tune both carbs . I still need two more gears and a chain to tie the two carbs together.
    The 7 to 1 reduction is going to be great!!

The rear axle has ford expedition brakes and will use the hand lever hooked to a master cylinder for some extra stopping power. More on the rear axle later.

13. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Forgot the pics:confused:

Attached Files:

14. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Did Neal tell you 6.5 to 1? I hate to break the news to you but I ain't believin' it, ...or at least not on mine. I am gonna say more in the mid 5's. I don't think the design of the adapter plate will allow for that much compression and still hold both head gaskets. When you get yours, CC the plate and let me know what you come up with.

15. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Will do, He also advertises a 7.1 ratio.

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

on a stock T bottom end i wouldn't want to exceed 6.5:1 static compression anyways...(i think 5:1 will do quite well)

17. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

The stock model a bottom end (not T) is quickly morphing into a built full pressure B. Historically I always kill the steam of a fun project by going over budget and taking too long. I will try not to do that again.

18. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Well, ...I'm not gonna argue the point but three things suggest to me a bit different. I think you and I spoke by phone, and you said He/they estimated about 80 horsepower using the Chev. head.

I truly think that if he were getting 6.5 or 7:1 compression ratios out of those set-ups, the horsepower rating would be over 100 like other OHV heads equally matched.

#2; Read THIS WEBSITE about a home-made set-up. Notice what the author says about CC-ing the head and what he felt his C/R was. Now I did not write that article HOWEVER I now own that very head and all the parts. I also have owned a complete Jern manufactured set-up and I gotta tell you that there is no difference in the two adapter plates that you can spot by eyeballing them. Maybe there is .100" of difference in plate thickness but IMO you'll never see a complete gain of 1 notch higher by that much difference. When you and I talked, I think I told you then that you will see about 1 notch higher than the stock Model A compression ratio.

Let me close by saying that Neal makes a great little package for the $$. Again, I am not trying to argue or sway you away from buying one. And I know that Creel, McKee, and some others gave you some grief when you tried to buy some of their equipment but that just comes with the territory. Comparing Jern's equipment to Creels, or McKees equipment is night day different in horsepower, --but so is the money. Like I told you before, if you just want to have something for a weekend cruiser, Jern's set-up will serve you well.

BTW; you really won't need to do anything to the bottom end of a stock Model A engine to run a Jern set-up. You WILL be wasting your time and efforts if you go to full pressure with that set-up. Save your 'budget' and drive the car. Later on when you have the desire to "step-up", then you can spend your money.

19. What equipment does Creel produce?

Who is McKee and what does he produce?

20. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

For the record, Creel and McKee never did anything terribly rude, I realize they are not running a school and don't owe me a used jawbreaker let alone the deal of a lifetime on an gemsa or rutherford, etc. Neither are dealers, just racers with a lot of cool hardware.

21. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Jern never gave me a hp number. A customer of his estimated 70. I am having fun, that's my only point until I think it's actually going fast then I'll be bragging.

22. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

The guys from old school have paid their dues through sweat equity buildin' and R&D'n bangers and they aren't much on giving away free info. They have the mindset that you pay for your banger knowledge through somebody's experiences. Either you pay to learn on your own experiences, --or from theirs.

:rolleyes: Lord knows I have spent way more than I should have on Bangers!!:eek: :eek:

And I think that means this all makes perfect sense for you. You will have fun with that head!! One day you will want more, --but enjoy it the fullest while you got it. And, ...I gotta tell you, I own several banger OHVs, a G28T engine, and a bunch of banger speed equipment, --and I have this disease where I cannot go fast enough or make enough power. Like you, I am having fun though!! You ain't the only one that has the "franchise" on going over budget!! [​IMG]

23. Oh ok, I understand.

24. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Did you ever find a 3-deuce manifold your your Banger? That was you wasn't it?

25. No, I gave up looking.
    I got one lead from a wanted ad I placed on Ahooga but the guy was so hard to deal with I let it slide.

TV is currently fabbing one for me.

26. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

I figured you would have found one by now. I jus' took this pic. Whatcha got to trade??:D

27. I'm not falling for the bait!

28. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Good for you!! Everybody knows I don't ever sell nothing!! That's why I can't even walk through the garage. :D :D

Wildfire was over here on Friday and I was looking for a set of aluminum banger rods to show him. Found several other items I forgot about (like the manifold) but I didn't find the rods until today.

29. AL banger rods, huh? Are they REM's?:cool:

30. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

What is a rem rod?