Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lube up your orCA Betties and grab your Galoshes! its the MONTHLY BANGER MEETING!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Nov 30, 2006.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean there are other forums beyong the HAMB???!!! :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

where would i find this LSR list?

cool news about the AMBLER!

2. 40bcool

40bcool
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa,Ok

Here at last is pictures of my frame ready for body.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

3. I built this up in the last month... I'll get it all running and driving, lights... etc. and then put it on e-bay or take it to Turlock to sell... I need money for my banger powered "Rafter Project"! :D

I bought some new '31 running board splash aprons... and they look titts on it... I'll get the weldingon the body done, put the aprons on... and show you guys another pic.

I want to thank you all for not wanting to start a "Banger Club"...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As that is a picture of my '32 Plymouth and I am in San Mateo and somewhat unhappy to your referance to me, any questions about the motor could best be asked directly

5. Hi Rich,

Welcome to HAMB and more importantly the 4 Banger section!. Even if its not the best of starts.

Whats the low down on your engine? I had never heard of these until this thread started.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It is a '32 Plymouth. 3 main bearings. Full oil. Steel backed thin shell main bearings from the factory. Very deep block with 9/16 studs on the mains. Mine is bored .125 which allows the use of 265 Chevy pistons, pins and rod bearings, using Crower rods made to my design. Mains are Aelis Chalmbers. 210 inches now. Home made twin plug head, twin Pinto distributors, Various throttle body Hilborn based fuel injection.

7. 1930 vicky

1930 vicky
    from England,UK

Hi,
    Picked up a 'B' motor to rebuild over the next few months, are those straight cut cam gears a good mod for a mild B engine?
    What would you experienced banger guys reccomend as far as main bearings go re-babbit ,shells?
    What cam is a good one to go for ?
    I plan to use my Lion head and probably a single 97, lightened flywheel also a set of homemade headers as I dont think the US ones will clear the RHD steering column.
    I will be fitting it to the A box so I will have to modify the sump and use the A flywheel housing I believe this is correct if not please put me to rights.

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought the Plymouth engines ran 5 mains? What did you base the combustion chamber design on? did you stroke the crank? Why not run a late twin plug distrubutor?

sorry for any offense. - Doug

9. Hi Nick!
    If you need a 10mm thick steel plate precut for your manifold - there's a few in my garage next time your out this way - tenner, and it's yours?

Worth sticking with the A box for now I reckon, I'm liking the one in the Fordor. First because it seems in good order, and secong cos I'm a cheapskate...

Planning on nothing more than swapping in the 24hp in place of the 14.9 this week. Further cheapskating? The small engines have a much lighter stock flywheel, and a higher compression head. Reckon I'll be going with those then...

Bought a Thomas head though - bit over the top for an otherwise stock A engine, so I'll save it for the Diamond B block when I start into it next year.

10. 1930 vicky

1930 vicky
    from England,UK

Phil, Sounds good Earmark one of those flanges for me, looks like there's a fair ol amount of bangin goin on in east anglia then !
    P.S saw some of your buddies at the autojumble yesterday.

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i'll look for it at Turlock!

no need for a banger club, i don't think anyone over here is that insecure.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Picture of Plymouth under power, such as it is.

Attached Files:

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ahhh sooo!!!!

what times (speed) have you run so far?

also i am slightly confused: have you been running the Plymouth motor converted to OHV and just converted it back to a flathead?

LSR cars look like so much fun, but i need something i can use more than a few times a year.

I am going to have to work a up a list of questions for you!

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The car went 135.XXX with the Y block head and 113.756 with the flathead. Both at El Mirage. Yes at first I ran it as an OHV conversion. Then I got to wondering what it would do as a flathead. The next year SCTA decided to have a flathead four class, which worked out well for me. We run 6 times a year at El Mirage and up to 3 at Bonneville. Then there are Antique Nationals and such. RF

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you really want to build a Plymouth, here is a picture of mine with a four port injection. These injectors are for sale as pictured for $300. RF

Attached Files:

• img6.JPG
      img6.JPG
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
  17. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see you also built a tube chassis. I need to find an engine first, then i can sit down with it and start to get an idea what i can do to it.

what type of transmission do you run? (open or closed driveline?)

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As I had a Pinto in the car at one time I kept the Pinto 4 speed. Open drive to V8 QC with swing axels. I also ran the car with a Jensen-Healey 2 liter four (Lotus 907) and the Pinto transmission. No reason to change yet

19. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I haven't been up to much with mine apart from buying a big ol' size D Winfield carb of which I'm currently awaiting delivery. It's getting a bit cold and damp round these parts but The A is still seeing some use at the weekends. Went to see Monkeybikers "Odeon Shag Sedan" at the weekend, that's got the makings of a cool family wagon.

20. What are the throttle bodys from? Would it not have been more easier to use two large throttle bodies instead of 4 smaller ones?

What is used for the actual fuel injection set-up? Mechanical? Hilborn?

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As you can see from the first photo that concerns my Plymouth, I am now using two 4.6 Ford throttle bodies. Yes it was a lot eaiser to make. The 4 hole unit is from a 750 Suzuki GXR. It was an EFI unit it now uses Hilborn mechanicals. I also made and ran a long ram piece using a Ford 351 two bbl throttle body from a F150. It worked much better than it looked like it would..

Attached Files:

22. Rich Fox... you're an all-right dude in my book! You jumped right in with both feet!

If you ever get over to Livermore, stop on by!

Sam.

23. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

That's an excellent looking piece, Rich.

24. Welcome aboard Rich! Chatted before about all things injection and ignition. Been looking at injection again this side of the pond with a view to getting a bit further down the road with every gallon...

25. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

F.I. is cool, but for a Model A ,does any know what kind of 2 carb intakes can still be got. I know Scalded Dog and Reds has Riley but, what else is out there? Also what works the best?

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is an old speed seceret. Turn your manifold upside down and open up the exhaust hot spot into the intake runner. Gives you a larger square hole to mount a two 2bbl to single 4bbl adapter or whatever.

Attached Files:

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A "D" Winfield is a mighty big carb, i hope you are getting a lot of flow out of your engine!

28. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Clark, who's doing the machinework for the new valves? B.E. or someone local?

29. Gosney Engineering. A local firm to me. Been in business at the same location since the mid_thirties!

30. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I've got a fairly wild cam and big valves to match so it should be OK. Both Jay Steel and Jim Brierley suggested I get a D and they know a lot more about these things than I ever will!