Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowering the rear not the front?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by john W., Nov 26, 2021.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

Just applyies to Pick ups and SUV's.......I think.
    6sally6

guthriesmith likes this.
  2. Those blocks just made it sit level, the car on the right is lowered in the front.

3. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Thd lowering blocks were put in the rear to level it out. More eye appeal. The jacked up in the back just doesn't look as good.

4. A member for over 4 years and you have to ask why it's lowered?

5. This is my 49 coupe deville lowered 3” in the rear ! 5CEA5B31-CFA4-49A0-89CE-53B693CF047A.jpeg

6. You aren't going to haul very much liker with the rear that low.:( Or is it loaded and ready to go now?:D

427 sleeper likes this.
  7. My grandpa had a 41 Cad coupe that was all stock. He put several 50 lb bags of sand in the trunk to lower the rear. He said that's how they did it back then. They look good as a tail dragger.

8. Same here.

9. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's one grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat looking Cadillac.

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-12-15_4-12-54.png

Hello,

Your Cadillac is very nice, but lowering the back makes it look like you are trying to hide several teenagers, while trying to sneak into old drive-in theaters. Most of those that did the hiding trick, had cars that just looked funny and if I were to be working at the ticket booth, it would be questionable. Either that or you are moving a ton of gold or something heavy.

In our So Cal area, there were custom cars that were lowered in the back, but we never saw them cruising around. The low riders with hydraulics and skid plates we did see. But, that was a different class of custom cars, back then. For the majority of the time, no one drove around with the front end up and the rear end lowered. It was hard to see over those long hood lines.

If you ask nicely on the Photoshop thread, our resident expert @themoose could show your car on a “lowered rake” that the majority of cruisers and hot rod guys/girls had on their cars, during our time driving around. (Or a stock rear height and a lower front end. ) That would give your 1947 Cad some attitude, instead of a “big rear end” dragging around because it is too heavy. Ha! “Hey, does it make my b### look big?” is a popular saying, these days.

Jnaki

Our dad had a 1941 Buick Fastback Sedan and it was large enough for our family of 4. But, as we continued to go on long road trip vacations, the rear end sagged with suitcases and supplies. It looked like a dog scooting across the floor, as we have all seen that image.

But, to help out the crowded Buick Fastback Sedan situation, our dad got a new 1949 4 door Roadmaster and that was super large in the rear seats. Nothing lowered the rear, even with suitcases and other equipment for our vacations. It was heavy duty from the factory.

My brother started the whole modifying craze with his first car. The front was lowered, cut coils, but ended up with new coil springs due to it being too low. The second time, it was just right. He also had blocks in the rear. For a big sedan, his Oldsmobile now had a stance with a lowered rake. It just looked cool and got lots of admiration comments. It had a good driving feel, but extreme caution while going into steep driveways and sloping exits.
    upload_2021-12-15_4-15-36.png

i.rant likes this.
  11. CadMad

CadMad

I can’t believe we are discussing this . It’s about the earliest postwar period Custom touch. Tail down nose up, speedboat stance. Launching into a new tomorrow. That pic of yours looks just right. Please don’t go the California rake.
    If your eyes don’t tell you it’s right, “it’s time to go to Specsavers” (an eyewear chain in Australia).

Dan Hay and Surfcityrocker like this.
  12. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

I think the answer to your question regarding why there are lowering blocks in the rear is the second pic. :)

elnutty and Surfcityrocker like this.
  13. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks perfect to my eye... maybe just a smidge too high in the back? ;)

14. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

Just do what looks right. My 48 olds is 4” down in the back and I’d like it to be 6 and 2 up front

15. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

That car looks terrific as it sits.... it's not too low and looks very classy! Enjoy it.

16. A Boner

A Boner

Look at page 1 of the book, “Custom Cars 101”.