Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering the ass on a 54 Pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nooch, Sep 8, 2005.

1. nooch

nooch

The rake on my ride just aint right - Its ass sits up like a cat trying to find a mouse under the fridge! I think its standard ride height but the guy who owned it before me put cut front springs on - so that half looks the goods.

What have HAMBers done to fix this on their rides? What's the cheapest, quickest way to get the rake right - short of concrete bags in the boot? I've got an air ride set up but dont have the skills/funds to hook it up at the moment -thanks

2. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

3. Blocks.

Will take us 45 minutes.
    2 jacks and a nice sturdy bit of ground...

=]

4. Those old Pontiacs had the same basic rear suspensions from '37 to 57. I've lowered all mine with 3" or sometimes 4" lowering blocks and long U-bolts..
    Might need to slide some 3 degree wedges in place if you use 4" blocks....to get your pinion angle correct again.

Attached Files:

5. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I hate blocks. Don't use anything more then a 4incher......otherwise you'll have ALL SORTS of drive shaft issues. Mines got 6" blocks and hardly any leaf's left. Tunnel's been re-done but I'm thinking she's gonna need a slip yoke ONTOP of bags. Listen to Rocky, he's had some sexy Poncho's!
    xxx
    Brandy

6. I have 3" blocks on mine, rear is down quite low

Can't reverse up my driveway without ripping the exhaust off:D

7. nooch

nooch

Thats what I like to hear! Nothing like that steel on cement sound to signify success! Thanks everyone

8. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Or the clipping of road deflectors as you change lanes.:D But then there's that chance of losing your oil pan over a rail road track.:( Maybe DirtyT can build me a wood frame so it'll only splinter as I blow down the hi-ways and bi-ways??:D
    xxx
    Brandy

9. Ol Durty 138

Ol Durty 138

i gopt a 50 and im putting 3 inch blocks and taking out 3 leaf springs that should give you like a 5-6in drop, now what have yall done for the front?

10. Retroline

Retroline

I had 2 inch blocks in the rear of my 50 but it was still nose down due to the removal of 2 3/4 coils. I removed a couple of leaves when I changed the rear end for a 55 chevy. It sat alot better but bags and chassis work would be the best way to go if you want it ride nice on Australian roads.
    The worst problem with these Pontiacs is the chassis hangs down so low under the floor.

Attached Files:

11. if you want the ass end lowered.... give my ex GF a ride!!!

12. Cool and low 4 door, love the stance.....
    / primerkid

13. ponchoman

ponchoman

Agree with what most have said on this thread(especially Rocky). Put 3" blocks in my '55, and have no problems, unless I have passengers in the back seat. Just bought an air pump, and air shocks, which will take care of that problem. Brandy, you dropped yours 6"? My gawd, I'd be scrapin' the pavement at that!!! :D

14. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I didn't do it! I bought it already done. Gosh I'm not that retarded.:D I shoulda known something was weird/wrong when the back seat didn't come in the car.:rolleyes: But I was far more interested in the fact the motor was toasted so I didn't think about it til NOW. RIGHT now, she'll never hold any extra weight in the rear of the car. I've got a full tank of gas, no motor or trans and it took 2 people and 1 full size truck to push it up the driveway. I'm gonna change the blocks and see what that gets me, until I can afford airbags all the way round. Most the leafs have been removed so I dunno what my outcome's gonna be. The front coils have been cut so it's riding metal to metal. Gunna need me a good set of bags, compressor, lines, oh my.:eek:
    xxx
    Brandy

15. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

And here's my shaft tunnel.................NOW what's a girl to do?

I've hi-jacked a thread I've hi-jacked a thread....should change the title to lowering the ass on A pontiac.:D
    xxx
    Brandy