Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowering - Stepped "A" arm early GM IFS

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jamcoupe, Nov 19, 2013.

1. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Has anydody stepped the lower "A" arms on an early GM IFS?
    Are the arms cast steel?
    Can these be modified and rewelded as shown in this thread? http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317696

I hoping to use this technique to lower my Buick 2" and then maybe
    add a 1/2 spacer between the bottom spring plate and lower "A" arm and cut a coil.

Here is a picture of a 1940 Buick lower A arm
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I can't say if the arms are cast..They look like forged steel and if a buick person can tell you for sure then yes, can drop as in the post thread..Or you could check if the links could be flipped like in shoebox fords..

4. It can be done if you know what your are doing with a welder. I did it on a 48 Chevrolet. It worked fine and is still on the road but would have preferred to replace the suspension with something else.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013

5. BRENT

BRENT

I agree about being carefull with those, I would either just lop off a coil or look at another option. Coil being the easiest. What about removing the rivits and putting a spacer between the lower control arm and the where the coil spring sits. Doesnt Fatman make dropped spindles for these?

Brent

6. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

looks like he already has the dropped uprights. If it were me I would look into making a whole new lower arm. I would think it would come out stronger in the end, and you could re use that spring pocket too if you made something similar. Or there is the bag route....

7. scott51

scott51

Likewise,

if I had the skills and gear to confidently step those I'd be using them to make up a jig and welding up a set of custom ones.

8. drop the spring pad 2 inchs and bow the bottom of the A arm. take a coil and call her done. been done on olds for 60 years

9. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

What do you mean by bow the bottom A arm?

10. I think he is talking about bending the spring pocket down to lower it. I've never heard about it but I'm still wet behind the ears--makes sense though I suppose. IMO if you can't get low enough with dropped uprights, spaced spring pocket and cut coils then you should consider the dreaded air bag, and maybe a mustang two front end.

11. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

12. Bad spelling I was trying to say box the lower pad on the lower A arm :eek:

13. I have dropped the spring pad (spaced it out) on old GMs and I have dropped the pocket in the pad by welding a piece of pipe in there. I have not stepped the arms but I know that it used to be done.

14. I've used that kit (bought from night prowlers). It worked as I expected. I painted them black so as the aluminum doesn't stand out. I like how my springs responded to it.

15. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Thanks for the help guys. The picture I posted does show a dropped upright but isn't my car, I was just using it to show the bottom "A'" arm. I was looking for a way to lower the Buick without spending $400 on a set of dropped uprights or using air bags. I think I'm going to put a 2" spacer between the lower arm and see how it looks.

16. Those arms are forged and can be dropped just like an axle, but you better know what you are doing and i would magnaflux after any such operation.
    Hans