Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowering my Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Brown, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Thank you to everyone who has participated in this discussion and shared your knowledge and experience.

2. Hi there... Also a T spring are shorter and perfect for de-arched and lowered a bit more...

Sent from my SM-G610M using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. A Boner

A Boner

Fantastic Model A Ford lowering thread...thanks to all!
    The H.A.M.B at it's finest.

4. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been a while since I started this thread, but I see some q's came up about spring spreaders for the rear spring.....this can be done, safely and pretty easily without one...remember, when you reverse the eye on the main spring, the "eye curl" is on the wrong side of the spring to use a spring spreader....here's how I've done this several times in the past......

the assembled spring pack is way too stiff to spread out enough to install the spring shackles, but, you can install the main leaf by itself, no problem....

attach the main leaf at one end with the shackle
    on other end, sandwich a 2x4 wood block between top of rear axle housing and spring eye...this gets the eye at about the correct height to attach the other spring shackle. Now, pull down at center of spring, where the center bolt goes, this leaf, by itself can be bent down pretty easy with one hand...the spring eye will slide down the wood block until the spring eye is close enough to install shackle. You now have the main leaf installed. Chuck the wood block wherever you chuck scrap wood.
    Now, stack up the leafs you are going to use, on top of the main spring and drop a new center bolt down thru the springs, install a nut and use the center bolt to pull the spring pack together, tight..
    cut off the extra center bolt length and lower the car down onto the spring...

Done deal, easy peasy...

5. Ron:
    Exactly as I was taught by a retired truck mechanic back in '68 when I broke the rear left shackle on my '29 A standard coupe. My diagonal backyard neighbor was a great guy, and when he saw me struggling and cussing the *%#@!!! spring shackle for what seemed the entire afternoon, he came over and calmly asked for a 2x4 about 8 inches long. Had one laying around. He told me to put it on top of the axle and put the axle part of the shackle just barely in the slot. He then jumped on the back bumper, told me when they line up on the downward bounce, shove that shackle through. Like you said, "easy peasey." About a year later, I bought his five-year-old creampuff '64 Barracuda, 273, white, gold interior. Should have kept both cars. Sure miss Marvin.

6. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Old Yankee Speed Co has you covered!! OYS2627TMRR_large.jpg OYSAMRR-1_large.jpg OYSHRS-1_large.jpg OYSRDSTRVRSE1_large.jpg

05snopro440 and Tater Bug like this.