Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering my 57 Ford...help please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meteor, Nov 17, 2008.

1. meteor

meteor

So, as of right now my Ranchwagon has new 1" shortened springs and 2.5" dropped spindles in the front. I'm running 15" wheels with BFG widewhite radials P215/75R15's. The car is incomplete but the front end is in nosebleed territory and I can't understand why it is so high...it looks higher than stock right now and I can't imagine a few hundred pounds more in weight (hood, bumper, rad, etc.) is going to make much difference.

here's how it looks now...
    [​IMG]

I'd be happy with this...(this car runs same wheel/tire size as mine)...
    [​IMG]

How do I accomplish this? can it be done without air?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks for the help!

2. ratster

ratster

we cut one coil and added 4" lowering blocks on my sons car
    btw nice wagon you have

[​IMG]

3. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Yes you can get there, BUT, you most likely are going to have to cut 1 maybe 2 coils. And i can't explain why because the new coils are supposed to be lower but the spring rate is higher. So they don't sag, on my caddy i used mid 80's chevy pu lowering springs 2" and then I ended up cutting 2 coils and and extra 1/2 " off . and it rides nice.

4. Sean

Sean

I lowered mine by running 4 inch blocks in the rear and cutting 1 and a half runs on the original coils.

[​IMG]

5. I cut 1 3/4 coils off and 2" lowering blocks in the back.

Attached Files:

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

New springs sometimes settle a bit after driving on them - just something to keep in mind.

The parts (not on the car) that you mentioned will make a little difference. Is the engine in? It's hard to tell. Glass, Interior, ...it all adds up.

If I remember correctly, I cut 1-1/2 coils (from the original springs) to get my Custom 2dr to sit like the Custom 300 in your last photo.

Nice looking car, btw!

Malcolm

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You might want to check the threads from last month,changing to Ford Areostar 2WD front coils(about $65 for the pair from rockauto.com)will drop it further than chopping one coil and it will ride better than stock.These will work in 49-59 Fords, several before and after pics were posted.

8. ratster

ratster

sean, where did you get those taillights? there cool

9. LabRat

LabRat

Get it driving first ! You will be suprised at how much it will settle down , Then if nesessary carry out one of the suggestions above .....

10. bmc

bmc
    from Sacto.,Ca.

That shiny black 57 hardtop with the red side trim is sweet. Any more pictures or info.

11. Sean

Sean

Thanks. They are from my vacuum mold. I hope to pull a bunch of sets this winter in red and clear and sell them.

12. Dangler

Dangler
    from CHICO, CA

Your wagon rocks!

13. Wow, that looks killer.... and very familiar! Send me a few more shots please!
    I'd wait til you get it all ready for the road, let it settle and then cut whatever it tkes to get it sittin right.

-Shiny

14. ratster

ratster

put me down for a pair

15. Sean, while were on the subject, is your's c-notched?

Anyone answering should state all the mods, cutting rubber bumpers or any thing they needed to do to clear the suspension, should help other with this or 58 fords.

I have versailles spindles, supposed to give a 2" drop, the about 1.5 coils cut on the front. I took 2 leaf off the springs and had 3" block, but I'm putting the leafs back in as it was not such a good idea, too low and the larger leafs are too dearched.
    The drive shaft tunnel (towards the rear seat) and punkin are cut out on mine as it sits.

I'll probably look into jamco rear leaf spring packs.
    I'll see if I have any photos of mine some place.

16. ratster

ratster

after we got done with our wagon, our drive shaft rub the floor. we had no c-nothes

17. meteor

meteor

Thanks for all the great feedback. I won't do anything with the suspension until the car is done - I'm just anxious about it.

18. meteor

meteor

Thanks. The engine is in - I hope all the added parts make a difference.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look for that thread.

Nope sorry. I waited around the car for a bit but the owner wasn't around.

Thanks Shiny. It's been a long road...I'll round up some more pics for ya.

19. You might want to do a rough calculation of how much weight the engine, trans, etc will add and lay some C channel across the frame and toss in some sand bags to get an idea where you will actually be before making other modification. A little extra work but it might save you in the long run.

20. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Meteor, when searching for the thread ,I believe it starts with the verbage "a cheap alternative".

21. meteor

meteor

22. Lono

Lono

Ratster.. what motor has you son got in this?
    I'm thinkin of doing the same for my 57 fairlain w/ 390.

23. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I know this thread is old now but I used the aerostar coils on my 58 ranger and what a difference. they ride so much better than stock, turns flatter. they slid in really easy and you can see the before and afters in my albums....it dropped it a lot and i dont have any rubbing issues. i used a 2 inch block out back.

i would highly recommend the aerostars not just for looks but for the better ride. before it was kinda wild to take a mild country curve at anything over 50. they bias plies would scream and slide, id get pulled across the seat by the motion of the car, and it just felt akward. its certainly not a indy car now but its a helluva lot better.

24. Lono

Lono

Bought a set today and they're going in my 57 ranchero. If its a happy thing.. then a set in my 57 fairlane and 57 Ranch wagon.

Both the ranchero (302) and fairlane ( 390) are sitting high. I'm not a bagdaddy so coils and blocks for me..

The Ranch wagon will have a 460 so still playing with the idea of going gasser instead.

Attached Files:

25. Lono

Lono

Thought i'd pass this on to you now i know for sure how i like the ride.
    I used 90 aorostar springs up front along with Cordoba shocks.
    in the rear, 4 inch lowering blocks and 73 Camero shocks.
    The ride dropped over 4 inches in total and its running a light 302.
    The tires are 205 75 15's.
    PS... I'm 6 ft so wil give you an idea of ride height. The rockers are now 7.5 off the ground.

Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

26. Lono

Lono

crap, sorry about the picture, dont know why that happened.