Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering my 53 Poncho

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotty500, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Scotty500

Scotty500
    from MPLS

I'm lowering the rear of my 53 Pontiac, I'm going with a lowering block kit from Speedway. I'm going to drop it 3 inches my question is what angle of shim should I use, a 2 degree or a 4 degree? Any ideas or thoughts would be great, I've used the search and cannot find the answers I'm looking for. I am unable to build them myself as well as I do not have the means to do it. Thanks

2. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

i did a two inch block on my 55 poncho and did not have to shim it

3. mattlowe

mattlowe

i did a 3 inch block kit on my 55 4door and didnt use any shims
    worked good so far, except its a bitch to do a break adjustment on the rear now cuz the blocks are in the way.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe I used a 2-degree on my 53 Pontiac, to bring the pinion back true to the engine/trans. Was a long time ago and I can't get under it for awhile to look for you.

Had to do some stuff with the shocks too. Never got that worked out.

You will probably have to notch your floor slightly for the drive shaft. MAYBE...

5. Most lowering blocks are not built square to compensate for the difference in the driveshaft angle. Bolt them in and measure with an angle finder.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed this would be the correct way to do it. Order your shims based on your findings.

7. mattlowe

mattlowe

man now you all got me thinking i need go back and put some shims in

8. I think you'll find another issue not even mentioned here......Speedway blocks are too wide to sit properly under your stock narrow springs. I found a NOS set of 2" blocks on e-bay and slid 'em under my 54 with no problems....I still want lower though. The bump stops will hit if you go much more than 2". You can trim the bumpstops a bit and yes you can go to almost 3" without hitting the pan. I did not use any angle shims.

Attached Files:

9. mattlowe

mattlowe

yeah i did have to modify the bracket to get the wide blocks to fit.
    and no shims aswell, i havnt had the bump stops hit , but ive only driven with me in it and havnt hit any big bumps yet.

10. mattlowe

mattlowe

did you cut the springs in front?

11. No, all stock in the front.

12. mattlowe

mattlowe

man, thats a great lookin car.