Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowering my 51 merc!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951mercury, Nov 25, 2006.

1. 1951mercury

1951mercury
    from Illinois

i was wondering if i could de-arch the rear springs, put in about 3 in. lowering block, don't notch the frame, and have air shocks. i would let the air out the shocks whenever i am parked to lower it and raise it up when i would drive. would this work?

2. Millhead

Millhead

If you de-arch the spring and use a 3 in block you may have drive shaft tunnel rub. The 3 in blocks might be enough, a friend of mine has 3 in blocks and air shocks and it is sitting nice. Don't forget that you don't want to be so low that if the air shocks dump you hit the payment and go off the highway or the same goes for a flat tire. we use to have a rule nothing below the wheel rim but by the looks of most of the rides these days nobody uses that rule anymore. We use to lower our rides to improve the flow or lines of the car, not just for the sake of lowering or to be the lowest. In the front we always kept the top of the wheel rim below the fender lip so as not to break the circle it was more pleasing to the eye. Anyways have fun and keep the greasy side down.:cool:

3. Talky

Talky
    from Calgary

...i never thought of that millhead...good safety point!!

4. 1951mercury

1951mercury
    from Illinois

i talked to jamco and they said that you can have a 4" drop with their leaf springs and a 3" drop in the front with their coils. has anyone tried this before from them?

5. 3" blocks are as much as I can stand on my 51 merc and still be able to haul anyone in the back seat without driveshaft rub on the tunnel

6. 1951mercury

1951mercury
    from Illinois

thanks for that info, i guess i won't be letting anyone ride in the back (just pack about 4 or 5 in the front seat sounds good)

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Posie's sells a rear leaf spring that will drop it down.