Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical lowering my '31coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jan bogert, Sep 29, 2013.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

my '31 coupe I built it as a restored model a in 2010, then went to traditional hotrod, in late 2011. I recall installing the wooden oak body blocks between the frame and the body. i'm now looking to lowering it without changing things. adding more money. thinking of taking out the body blocks. there like 1 1/2". has anyone done this I would replace them with 1/4" rubber. would this work?

2. badshifter

badshifter

It would not work. The blocks make the body flush with the tops of the frame rails. It does not raise the body. Not to mention there are no blocks to remove at the front of the cowl, the splash aprons, or the hood shelf, the radiator etc. How do you lower it without changing anything?

3. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

If you want to lower the body over the frame you'll have to channel it. That will mean "changing things" just a little bit. ;)

4. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

You can drop the suspension without drilling any holes or doing things you can't undo. Not excessively expensive.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. jan bogert

jan bogert

its got brand new posie reverse eye front and back. don't want to mess with the superslide. waybe it will drop some once the springs are broken in theres only 400 miles on the springs.Posie told me it would lower the car 1 1/2" but it didn't do anything yet.

6. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

The drop is figured from a car with perfect original springs with no sag. If you replaced original springs that where beat, it may not look like you did anything with the new reverse eye springs.

7. Jan
    Posie's cannot tell you how much their springs will drop your ride because they have no idea what you are starting with. What they are saying is that if you have a Posie's spring and reverse the eyes how much that will change it and we can only assume that a Posies Super Slide spring is the same as a stock spring in ride height.

You can remove a spring leaf or de-arch the spring to get yourself some drop or you can alter your spring mounts or you can ad a drop axle up front to get yourself down a bit. When de-arching the springs or altering the spring mounts you will need to watch your wishbones and perhaps you will have to split them. Other wise you may notice the wishbone bangs on the frame when you corner or hit a bump.

One thing that is common and has been a common thing as long as people have been altering their cars is that there have always been those folks that want to change things up but still be able to change it back to original easily. This is certainly no reflection on you personally, it is a common desire among some people. Some times one has to decide if what they want to do is something they can live with or if they will always be cautious about taking the leap from restorer to hot rodder or customizer.

8. I totally agree with beano,you can't have your cake and eat it too!

Rarely if ever does on put a car like your Model A back to stock after hot rodding,think about just how many model A's were built (4,849,340) so there are still plenty around and they are not rare.

Build the car and enjoy it,when you decide to move on the car will be worth more as a hot rod than the original piece it was. HRP

9. jan bogert

jan bogert

guys, I think next spring i'm going to take a leaf out see what that does.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Jan, looked at the attached image... To me, this is the stance you should be aiming for and you aren't going to be able to get there without a dropped axle up front and reversed spring eyes out back. It might sound intimidating, but it's not hard to accomplish. Just takes a little time and a little money.

[​IMG]

11. the droped axle and reversed rear spring, along with removing some leaves can be reversed but that axle will cost money, Now the whole chopping thing.....

12. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

JAN,
    you have seen pics of my coupe. i used a 36 ford front axle ( 2 inch drop compared to a stock A), reversed eyed the spring and removed the very top 3 small leaves.. perfect drop, and a nice ride still,
    in the rear i removed 2 leaves and i was happy with the HOT ROD RAKE that it has... eventuall i will reverse the spring eyes also.

13. Christom

Christom

Hi Jan,

It can take a bit of trial and error to get the ride height just where you want it - ask me how I know this! I've done a couple of ride height "tune-ups" under the back of my coupe. Shit I hate lying on my back under the car pulling the spring out - u-bolts, tailpipes - BLAH! I ended up putting a leaf back into the rear of my car cause it bottomed out a couple more times than I was happy with - didn't bite through my tongue luckily though! I also had to swap some leaves under the front too as she has settled a bit and I only had 3/8 inch from spring to frame clearance - and that is with a couple of short mid leaves!
    Best way to get that car low is a dropped axle, reversed springs with a few leaves removed. A reverse-eye T rear spring is also a good change as they are flatter than the A spring. I wouldn't step the frame out back as that IS more than a little change - plus the rear fender might rub the tire too. Look at tire combos as that can make a huge difference - easily.
    All this can be put back to stock too if you wish. Have fun!

14. Butch11443

Butch11443

rear spring has leaves removed. Front spring is Posie's reversed eye with a 5" dr5opped axel.
    Butch

15. Butch11443

Butch11443

16. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Thanks for the compliment Ryan!

17. jan bogert

jan bogert

I don't want to go back to stock, I restored it stock in 2010. then went hotrod in 2011. I want to keep it hotrod. i'm going to see about removing a leaf or so on the Posie sprngs. see what that does. but its on the back burner for now, tring to finnish my '33 willys. and now that's on the back burner, got back issues. seeing a orthopedic, and a therophist got two herniated discs, and i'm on Coumadin the discs are pinching on nerves, right buttox sharp jabbing pain, r/thigh is tingly, and r.little toe is numb. they can't do anything because of the bloodthinner, I get blood clots, no operation, and no shots. they say I got to live with it. fighting with my union lawyerfor workmans comp. this happened 5-30-2013.

18. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Well, is it low yet??

19. racer32

racer32

Jan, if it's been that long, surgery probably won't help with the nerve damage. I've had numb toes, a twitchy right leg/foot since I blew discs in my back. Surgery didn't do much other than cost money.

WRT lowering...I just bought a T spring at a swap meet. My Model A advisors tell me it'll drop the rear a couple of inches.

20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Jan, attached are some pic's of my old stock Model A coupe that I just added 1935 front axle and removed the top small leaf from the front spring and similarly two leaves from the rear.

Then got me a set of 1935 Ford wire wheels and what you see is how it turned out...

I think the main leaf in the front spring did get the eye reversed.
    A 1935 axle does have a drop greater that that of the Model A stock item.

Surely that would not cost much to acquire.
    I also used the 35 brakes for better heat disapation and stopping.

Attached Files:

21. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Christom is absolutely right, the size of the tires are pretty important and a good combo can change the stance completely.

[​IMG]

22. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

That's a bitchin A right there! Nice!