Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowering blocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sloppymotor, Jul 25, 2012.

1. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Anyone know the best site to get a lowering block kit for my 51 chevy deluxe...

2. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Make your own out of 1/4" square tubing, 2"x??

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

4. jdownunder

jdownunder

make your own its easy.you'll just have buy longer u-bolts

5. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

6. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Chevy's of the 40's sells em that are the correct width for your springs for about 60$

8. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

just got my 2" blocks from mooneyes for $40

9. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

My cost $11 from a steel scrap yard.

10. Pep Boys has them pretty cheap. But like they said here, you can always make your own.

11. Pep Boys have the CHEAP!!! I always stock up when I go to the States. That's what I run on my car!

12. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

autonzone has em cheap also.

13. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Make your own and you can save a few bucks and have fun fabricating them.

I used 1.5x3 in. box tubing. I welded 1/8 in. plate to each side to resize it to 1.75x3. Ground the welds down then cut the blocks to 4 in. length (I made one long piece to start out with). Find the center by scratching the metal with a set of dial calipers on the top and bottom. Drill a 1/2 in. hole in the bottom and 3/8 in. hole in the top. Bolt a 1/2 in. axle bolt in the top 3/8 in. hole then cut it down to a height of 3/8 in. and put a small radius on the edges.

You'll have to get some longer square bend u-bolts. I looked at a trailer supply shop but the longest they had was 5.5 in. I went to a spring shop (in Kansas City General Spring or American Spring) and they bent 1/2 u-bolts while I waited for $8 a bolt which included thick washers and tall nuts.

Install and torque to 65 ft/lbs.

I didn't capture pics of every step but here are a few. The last show my cars stance with 3 in. blocks in the back and 2.5 in. dropped uprights in the front. The first pic shows the dimentions of the blocks available from Chevy's of the 40's, which is where the pic is referaced from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Made mine for my '47 Chevy PU out of steel and boxed the ends, then ordered U-bolts, fun project, and simple.
    [​IMG]

15. XXL__

XXL__

I've had the cast aluminum "cinder block" style ones from Poop Boys crumble and fail... poor quality casting, zero QC, probably some factory in China making them for 5 cents on the dollar.

/2 cents ( <-- almost enough to get some blocks)