Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a Model A roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhtrlake, Dec 10, 2016.

1. jhtrlake

jhtrlake
    from Michigan

I need to lower my Roadster in the rear by 3-4". I've been told I can do this by removing springs. How many springs can I safely remove without the car leaning when I drive it and do I take out just the small ones or maybe every other spring. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. You're gonna need to reverse the main leaf and you might get away with removing 2 springs at most. The roadsters start with a 7 leaf rear spring. I've mocked up a coupe with a 5 leaf main and it was pretty soft. I'd think about stepping the rear of the frame.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

What Hitchhiker said. Reverse eye gets you about 1".

4. alchemy

alchemy

How about a T spring instead?

5. joe1932

joe1932
    from NY

I have done 3 of them. you have to z frame to get them down, model t spring with reversed eye helps. but not enough. do you have vern tardels book. joe

6. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

This one has a Model T spring with reversed eye and no step.It is mounted on T spring hangers that i welded to the top of the rear end housing.I had to clearance the housings a bit so clear the spring eyes.I'm not sure you could get it much lower w/o a step using traditional parts.Of course,and i hate to mention it,but you could go a bit lower with coil overs but then you are into Street Rod territory and who wants that ! Bob

Attached Files:

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

A reversed eye spring and removing a few spring leafs is not going to give you the 3" to 4" you are looking for. You might get about an inch and a half. As Joe states, you might have to do some surgery to get that low.