Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a 60 Bel Air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nschrec, Aug 14, 2013.

1. nschrec

nschrec
    from St. Paul

I am in the beginning process of lowering my bel air and want some tech answers.

I am thinking of lowering the car 2 or 3 inches. I plan on using lowering springs. Will I run into any problems with drive angles and such?

For the fronts, should I use lowering springs or dropped spindles. Thanks for any help I can get.

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used two inch lowering springs and two inch drop spindles in the front and two inch
    lowering springs in the back. All bought from Speedway Motors I believe they were
    from CPP for my Impala. She has settled a little more but I need a couple of more inches
    lower in the front.

If you are running drum brakes I have a set of Bell tech Spindles that I could make you a
    deal on. I decided to use Disc brakes so I didn't end up using them.

[​IMG]

Also check out my old post, Lot of kool stuff already on the HAMB about lowering
    a 60 Impala. Happy Trails, Mick

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

I dropped my 59 3" using lowered coils at all 4 corners. It's settled a little more over the past few years. Rides great. I haven't had any problems with the driveline/angles, but if I were to do it again, I would get stiffer springs in the back. If any adults ride in back I get some rub going over bumps.

4. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

I used 3" set of Jamco drop springs on my 57 Buick and am absolutely thrilled with the results!

5. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

Just be prepared, your old springs might have settled enough that new lowered springs won't give you a full 3 inches.
    My '60 has a couple coils cut, rides good and doesn't bottom unless people in the back seat AND a full load in the trunk. I also have a slip-yoke driveshaft from inland empire.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I TOOK OUT old six cylinder springs that were cut a couple of coils. thought they were wore out put in 3 in drop springs from late great. sits lower now, but I have 65 series tires on the front

7. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

take out one coil and then drive 2 weeks and then if you want more start taking out half coil at a time

8. Torchie

Torchie

Original coil springs cut 1-1/2 coils in the front.
    2 coils in the rear.

Attached Files:

9. 55chevy

55chevy

I came out one day and my Chevy was lower, I looked, and the tires had gone flat, cool dude!

10. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

The 6000,5004 Moogs are shown as stock. The compare height shows how much drop to expect. All Moog numbers

[​IMG]

11. newstranger

newstranger

JAMCO 3" drop coils... I might take a tad bit out of the front when I rebuild the front end (soon) and install the ram horn exhaust manifolds I just scored (the header dumps scrape from time to time and I don't like lookin' at em).[​IMG]

12. Pimp Performance

Pimp Performance
    from Australia

Hey man,
    I went with 'super low' springs in the front (almost 4") and cut 2 coils out of the back. after a few years the car now almost sits on the bump stops up front and the tailshaft scrubs out in the back with a load. I do have really high tyres with 15" rims so it really doesn't look as low as it could.

One little thing I learnt was when you put the fronts in, loosen the control arms so the bushes can go back and settle where they have always been otherwise they get all twisted up and used in a different spot to where the've been for the last 30 years and wear out quicker - get that horrible front end squeek.

Attached Files: