Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a 58 f100 fast and cheap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falcongasser, Mar 15, 2010.

1. falcongasser

falcongasser
    from denton

Im trying to lower my 58 f100 is there a way to do it cheap and fast i want to take it to lone star round up this year

2. Flip the rear axle over the springs. Buy mono-leafs or a drop axle for the front. I don't believe there is a cheap AND fast way. Do a search, tons of threads on this subject.

3. five1cadiman

five1cadiman
    from downey ca

Lowering blocks !!!!! or you can take some leaf springs off!!

4. Five1: Unless he flips the axle over the rear leafs the blocks wont work since the axle sits under the leafs in the stock setup. Also, he would need to notch the frame before he could put the blocks in.

5. BEAR

BEAR

6. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Put a shit load of weight in the bed and put a cover over it. :)

...sorry, could resist.

Good luck!

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

put a couple of 250 pound women in your truck. Just pray that your tires hold up.

8. davis574ord

davis574ord

Flip the rearend onto the top of rear springs and move the spring hangers up a couple of inches by grinding the rivets off the hangers and move them up as far as they will go and drill new holes for the hangers and use grade eight bolts to bolt them backn tto the frame andtake a few leafs outa the front spring pack equal on each side if not they sell mono leafs for the front you caqn also put the straight front axle on top of the front springs, hope that helps some good luck thats how i lowered my 58 f-100 and my 60 f-100 and they both look cool and it didnt cost me nothin but a few hours!

9. rustyhood

rustyhood

Let my sister-n-law ride with you, wait" it will just be lower on passenger side....never mind wont look right! :D

10. daily_driver

daily_driver

Hmm hadn't even thought about flipping the FRONT axle on top of the springs. Whole lot cheaper than a drop axle. Have you done this? How much does it mess with the steering geometry? -DD

11. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

i have a 57 f100 i dropped the rear by flipping the rear end putting 3 inch blocks and pulling out all the leafs except for the 3 main ones i site 3 inches off the ground o yeah and i cnotched the frame im getting ready to 4 link and bag the rear the front is gunna be a little tricky iv talked to a few guys about dropping the front some said mono leafs some said pull leafs out n some said put the leafs under the axle it will all help you go lower u just might have trouble with the steering arm o yeah and your gunna have to c notch the front of the frame as well or else your axle is gunna be smacking the frame o yeah and i forgot to mention i run air shocks on the rear just to give me a lift while im driving and going up curbs your can also run mono leafs on the rear that will give you a 4 inch drop with out having to flip the rear

12. Just Jones

Just Jones

Don't flip the front axle! You'll have suspension parts hanging down below the scrub line and that is VERY DANGEROUS. If you have a flat tire, you'll be dragging metal on one side!

Instead, pull leaves, get a dropped axle ($300), or clip it (not fast, but cheap: the last one I did was $200 for a Camaro z28 clip).

Safety and solid planning have to be considerations. We aren't building rat rods here.

13. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have tried removing the third leaf and turning it upside-down on the top of the stack. I bottom out every expansion strip in the highway. All signs point to drop axle and steering stablilzer with stock springs or mono-leafs.

14. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

what can you clip the 58 with thats not chevy

15. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

16. hemifarris

hemifarris

My '56 ran an Aspen/Volare........Picture taken in 1979......click to enlarge

Attached Files:

17. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

I cant say lowering mine was fast or cheap,I did it my self and spent around 1500 dollars doing it(ouch it still hurts)but its cooler now that its done.I used reversed eye monoleafs and short shocks all the way around from and Sacramento Vintage and a two inch dropped axle from Sid's.no notch in the rear just had removed the bump stops.good luck

18. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Jag IFS and IRS is the way I will be going. Simple and cheap if you can measure and weld. Lots of gearing options and disk brakes.

19. brian33

brian33
    from ruskin fl

going jag on my 59 apache cost me 300 for the front and rear suspensions disc brakes all around, mine was out of a xj12 so the rear is a posi plus stiffer springs