Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowering a 56 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hackster, Apr 18, 2012.

1. hackster

hackster

im looking for a few different ways i could get my 56 to sit lower ,,, with just a static drop ,, no air ride for me ,,, ??
    i could use a little help ,,, heres a picture of what it sits like now ,,, and one of what i want it to sit like thank
    sd.jpg
    us4073-vi.jpg

2. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

Just give it to me. I will drive it the way it is:D

3. spydey

spydey

4 inch blocks in the rear

jamco lowered coil springs for the front....

I don't think you can get it as low as the pic and still drive it...meaning with out raising it up with bags before you drive it...

I lowered by 55 Pontiac this way...and it's as low as you can go...my driveshaft hits the floor with 4 ppl in it...

4. hackster

hackster

i have been driving it like that for a while ,, im just read for a change ,,, just not low enough for me ,,, and im glad you like it thanks

5. hackster

hackster

it has 3 inch bloks in the rear and cut coils up front ,, i guess i just want it a little lower in the front really ,, i would be happy with that

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Put a rat motor in it; that should do it! :)

7. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

You can install dropped spindles with your cut springs or lowering springs and you should get a lower drop.

8. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

There it is. Cut the front coils some more.

NOTE: cut a half a coil at a time.

ENJOY!!!

9. hackster

hackster

thanks i has cut srings up front now ,, and on a big bump it will bang up front a little ,,, i guess im going to have to go with the spindles and lowered springs ,,, i was just trying to save some money ,, it has disc brakes up front with 11 inch rotors and the spindles i found are for smaller rotors ,,, guess ill have to change thoose also ,,,

10. Labold

Labold

Cut out another coil. May have to remove the bump stop, but at least it will look cool. I helped a buddy lower this one several years ago. We used a 4" block in the rear and cut 2 (maybe 2 1/2) coils out of the front. No drop spindles or anything like that were changed. I know the wheels aren't to your taste, but at least it gives an idea of the ride height.

Attached Files:

11. hackster

hackster

thats were im looking to be right there ,,, thanks for the info everone ,, it helps me out alot

12. slammed

slammed

Step your lower control arms like this:[​IMG]

13. Putting a front bumper on it should get it down a bit. If it's not enough just cut the coils untill is sit where you want it! 1/2 a ring at a time or you'll end with it sitting on the frame!

14. hackster

hackster

i use to have the front bumper on i just recently took it off ,,, because it looked better that way the way it sits now ,,, but when i lower it more its going back on ,,,

15. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

No Bumper? Maybe raise it up in the front with skinnier front tires, maybe cragars & ditch the rear hubcaps.

No front bumper - Gasser

16. hackster

hackster

i thought about that ,,, i go back and forth ,,,, i just want to change it

17. I have the lowered springs on mine and it doesn't seem to have lowered it at all. I think I will go with dropped spindles and if that doesn't do it then may start shaving off some pieces of the coil springs.

18. hackster

hackster

i like your 56 ,, 56don,,, very nice car

19. I recently lowerd my 57 using CPP 2" droped spindles and 1"drop new springs. I could not be happier with the results. I am planning on using Posie,s 3" lowering rear springs next.

20. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I really like your 56 man.

21. cutting control arms is a gutsy approach.

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I use to have, Wait! I still have my front bumper. The height is perfect, just needs wheels to give that, how do I say it? Like mine ;):D Lol. Like some others said, just cut 1/2 coils till you get it where you want it up front. Out back try pulling leafs out before going to a taller lowering block.

23. I have 2 inch blocks in the rear and cut coils up front.

I bought a disc brake kit with 2" drop spindles that I no longer need. I will sell it at a good price.

24. hackster

hackster

thanks old soul

25. Thanks, man, I like yours too. Love me some yeller chebbys!:)

26. Abomb

Abomb

This seems to be the place for me to post.....only because of my avatar picture....of course currently, my car is about 95% bare metal, and will be orange and white soon.

I have no additional advice on lowering, it's been covered.

27. Nice looking 56!!
    Click the Broken Rods logo in my signature for pics of my 55. That's lowered on drop spindles in front (2" I think they were) and de-arched (removed leafs) leafs in the rear, with ghetto air shocks. I ended up having to run traction bars out back to keep the bounciness to a minimum. I'd like to change this out at some point to get a firmer ride without the bars.

28. slammed

slammed

What is the lowest point (inches from the ground) up front of your car? By lowering 2" more, that is how much less ground clearance you are left with. If your ride has one wrap cut from the coils (roughly 2" drop) adding another 2" via a stepped control arm or spindle drop is your option to maintain a civil ride. Has the shocks been changed to shorter ones? With the arm/spindle change, the length of shock is unaffected.

29. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Here is an A-arm finished. 2". I have driven my '61 for 3= years with this mod. Solid. A pro can have it done quickly. Do the bushing and such, if they are older, for a vastly improved ride.

30. n847

n847

^^^^^^^^^^^Agreed...Maybe not the cheapest way to get that last inch or so but what the hell!