Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs lowering a 41 chevy deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buick bill, Sep 21, 2019.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im thinking im going to drop my 41 since I aint going to be doin any racing with the 235 .want to go as low as I can and not screw everything up . im thinking a couple coils cut out in the front , but im clueless on how to lose 4/6 inches in the rear . planning on keeping the torque tube . and maybe the gears from chevys of the 40s . anyone used them . any tips on the swap .ive did almost everything , but never gear swapped !! gears are 355 I think . should be good for 65 maybe 70 mph ?? DSCF4858.JPG

chop job likes this.
  2. choptop40

choptop40

Nice coupe you got there

3. ...you mite get 3-4" in the rear with lowering springs or blocks, not much more w/o a frame notch...

Hnstray likes this.
  4. chubbie

chubbie

the rear would have a sleeve and a bolt on each side.... I don't have one here to look at but it might be easy to make a 2"-3" shackle to drop the rear. I used Fat Man drops on the front.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

did you use dropped spindles

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  6. chubbie

chubbie

yes drops on the front

7. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

how much and how do you like them ? looks like 2 coils should be around 2 inches . if I did that with dropped spindles should be down enough . just pulled the trigger on a set of g 78 -15 ww . lot of money but they should give me the look I want . was thinking about 600 or 670 16s but I think im better off tubeless . and there an inch wider . should have about the same look , but be more drivable .

8. Years ago I tried a 6" drop in the rear of my '54 Chevy, it looked cool as hell but it ate up the u-joints in about 2 days. Anything more than a 3" drop is going to require raising the rear of the transmission in order to keep the enclosed drive shaft at a reasonable angle.

9. lowrd

lowrd

Fat Man sells dropped uprights which along with 53/54 spindles will lower the front around four inches.
    If you're not changing to discs up front, you can also use the Bendix style front brakes from the 53.

10. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. For the front I have seen a kit for this a time or two. What you do is grind/drill out the rivets/spot welds that holds the bottom cups that the coil springs sit on and below the A arms add spacers across the arms and affix the spring cups to them. That lowers the springs keeping full spring height and does not screw up the ride and does not bounce on every street ripple. Maybe it was avalible from Big Jims or Butches cool stuff. Would have to dig around and find out where. I printed out that add in the past and it should be around here somewhere. Jimmie

11. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

12. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

thnx for the link . sounds like the way to go! way easier than dropped uprights . and I guess I could still lose a couple coils and end up with 4+ inches . that's about what I want . and the price is right . the 3 inch rear blocks should do as well. the suspension seems to have lots of travel so I think it will work .

13. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

that mtr. on your whatever you call it is crazy . is it a 235? is that 2- 4s on it ?

14. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

after looking at the kit for dropping the frnt , im wondering if I could modify the plate on the a arm myself . thinking about welding a cup in it to drop the spring .

15. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. It is in my 46 Chevy coupe, a 235, bored 0.060, hot cam, Clifford dual 4 intake with adapters to the two 2 barrell Weber carbs. With that oversize dual intake that has water chamber on bottom side for carb heat will not allow normal dual headers. Clifford offers their shorty tube headers to fit in there. This set up gave me 20+ MPG running original 3 on the tree with 355 ring & pinion in original torque tube rear end. After several years the tranny wore out and I got talked into a T350 & a later model chevy truck rear end with 305 gears. Ran same tires. Millage dropped to barely 10 MPG. The car was in a wreck last year and when I redo it I will go back to manual tranny and old rear end with the 355. https://cliffordperformance.net/
    Jimmie

16. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

On lowering the front yourself if you are a good welder I do not see why not. I do not recall the spring diameter but perhaps something like a 3" or 4" heavy wall schedule 80 black steel pipe coupling and weld the original bottom cap on to it and weld the whole thing below and to the A arm. You need the original bottom spring cap to trap the spring so it cannot wiggle around and make noise. Should not be a tough job at all. Jimmie

17. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

that's exactly what I was thinking .save $100.oo and if done right, should look good as well . if I modify the plate and bolt it on , it could be put back to stock should the need arise . im planning on putting 3.55 in mine . what kind of cruzing spd. did you have with them ? im not sure what stock is , but mine really feels like anything over 55 is pressing it . for sure with the 216 ! might go 70 for a short time till you had to go back and pick up the rod caps

18. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

With the tricked out 235, 355 gears, 3 speed standard and 700R16 on the rear it just hummed at 65MPH. I do not have a tach so I cannot reference what RPM nut the engine was not screaming and was fine. Before it was wrecked I drove it daily and made a bunch of 600+ round trips. The 65 MPH was my limit, not the cars. Mine had stock brakes and steering other than adding tube shocks & I still ran the 600R16 on the front so that was narrow tires all around. I wanted to keep the stock appearance on the body other that the 2 chrome exhaust tips sticking out the back.
    I recall that your 41 has the same lever shocks that my 46 has. On the front the two movable arms are the upper control arms and must stay unless you make major changes. What I did was simply leave the old front shocks for that reason but made brackets and added tube shocks. Removed rear lever shocks and added tube shocks. I really needed to re arch or replace rear springs but just never did. The photo I added hear still shows the old Allstate bias ply 600/16 tires.
    Jimmie
    46 CHEVY LEFT SIDE 2.JPG

19. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

looks beautiful ! im going to try to piece the exhaust together today . cant waite to see how the headers sound . if ya have good pipes wo needs to go fast . my h 78 15s should be here fri . there 5.5 wde so should clear good and no tubes! height should be about the same as 600s so no 65 mph until I swap rear gears!