Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a 1950 chevy deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris dozier, Aug 2, 2008.

1. chris dozier

chris dozier

how do i go about doing this... on the cheap.....i think im just going to cut some coil's off the front....but how do i go about doing it in the rear (thats kinda sounded wierd) but anyway....i want it really low....thanks everyone.....let me know

2. JEPPA

JEPPA

Don't cut too much coils. Stay under 2 inchs or you need your jaw replaced. mabye you could invert your uprights for more drop in the front For the rear just get some lowering blocks. S10 Pickup ones will should work. Any lower than that you are looking at alot of work like c-notches, four links, drive shaft channeling, air bags...

3. Back in the day, we would heat the front springs till it sit where we wanted it.

And as mentioned above, lowering blocks in the rear.

Thats the cheap way.

If you want a "traditional" crappy ride--Heat um!:eek:

Now every body can check in on how dumb heating coils is!

4. I lowered the back of my trusty old 52 using a pair of home-made 3 inch blocks made from some heavy wall 2'X3" box tubing. I welded end caps to increase strength....worked like a champ!

Attached Files:

5. GoManGo1951

GoManGo1951

I am following this one....I want to do the same. I heard heat the front coils by a bunch of people. Kinda spooky if ya ask me.

[​IMG]

6. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

cut a coil or so and put in some blocks in the rear

7. slammed49

slammed49

My 49 has Buffalo 2" dropped uprights and Jamco 3" lower coils for the front..and Jamco 4" lower leaf springs and a 1" spacer/block tied in the the spring pak with the center bolt in the rear and 4 new Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks...rides great and sits 5" lower than stock.

8. SANTO_DIABLO

SANTO_DIABLO

I got fatman dropped uprights and cut one coil in the front and 3" blocks in the rear. it rode fine for a while but it seems that the suspension has started to sag a bit cause now it bottoms out like crazy. but i highly recomend dropped uprights, without cutting the coils for the front and blocks with atleast air shocks for a little adjustment.

9. chris dozier

chris dozier

what are dropped uprights santo diable......and thanks everyone

10. chris dozier

chris dozier

and slammed49 ...do you have any pictues?

11. scoop

scoop

Go to fatmanfab.com should show some there. I got there's on my 50.

12. SANTO_DIABLO

SANTO_DIABLO

Dropped uprights are basically dropped spindles for older chevys

13. Remember, the u bolts are squared off. Chevy of the 40s and national chevy have a kit specifically for 49-54s. They are different than the new kits you can get at pep boys.

Take out like 3 leafs out from the rear. Lowered mine quite a bit.

Once you start cutting any of the old front springs or heating them, the car handels and rides like shit.

14. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

for doin it in the rear you need lube... lots of lube... but really, your leafes are narrower than todays cars by half an inch, modern blocks wont fit betweem the u-bolts. i made blocks and had u bolts made at a spring shop. i cut my front and its stiffer now. i dont like it and am gonna get dropped uprights once i hit the lottery

15. the previous owners of my 50 buick heat the coils all 4 of them..not cool at all..to bouncy but looks cool..

16. SANTO_DIABLO

SANTO_DIABLO

I got my squared U bolts from Pep-Boys.

17. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

here is a 51 I just lowered, 4" blocks in back and 1 1/2 coils cut in front, I believe the blocks came from chevys of the 40's.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      37.6 KB
      Views:
  18. Anyone ever tried to match the front springs for these up with some later model springs, like you can do with the 50's Fords and the..was it Aerostar? front springs... ?

19. Slowlow

Slowlow

Up front -
    Remove front springs, Cut one in half then put one of the halves in each side.

Out back-
    Remove all but ONE leaf then add 4" and 2" lowering blocks stacked on top of each other.

... jokes of course, DONT do it that way.
    haha