Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowering 54' Belair

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Amber Rossow, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Memphis T.

Memphis T.
    from New York

Yes. You can also buy through eBay

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Amber Rossow likes this.
  2. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I think you can flip the front spindles , change or cut the front springs and the front looks good but the back is harder to get low . I had changed the stock 6 cylinder engine , that heavy cast iron power glide and rear end and put in a new leaf spring set with blocks and it would occasionally hit the trunk floor over bumps and it still didn’t look “low” . There are a ton of posts on here about how to lower those cars . I bet you could search some , see how they did it and how low it got and it would give you some ideas before you bought any parts .

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

We've came a long way since I lowered my 53 Bel Air hardtop in 1963 with a torch. It looked cool but rode like a lumber wagon! Today I'd use uprights from Fatman and new dearched springs from Eaton.

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

My wife had a '51 BelAir. She cut the front springs ($0) and added 2-3" lowering blocks in the rear. It made for a stiff ride, but looked good. IIRC, lowering blocks can be purchased from a lot of places other than JAMCO (Wirth, Filling Station, Moon, Chevs of the 40s, etc). Stay away from eBay. I had custom lowering springs made for my '59 BelAir. They were $150 per PAIR from Coil Spring Specialties. and made to match my engine and stance I wanted.

5. If you don't want to goof around with lowering blocks, as the torque-tube mounts are actually a pivot point for the axle housing, you can alter the height of the leaf pack by flipping the top spring. This will give you 2-3" rear drop.