Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering '47 GMC pickup ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winfab, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Winfab

Winfab

I have a line on a '47 GMC pickup (man the grill on them is fugly!) that I'd like to build as a driver/beater. Would like to lower it some. It's sitting in a barn lot now so it was hard to tell how much clearance I'd have to work with on the front using the stock leafs and axle (using lowering blocks and/or re-positioning hangers). Any input? The rear shouldn't be as much a clearance issue.

Thanks in advance.

2. 30roadster

30roadster

if you really want it low your looking at a mustang2 and lowered spindles...i've never heard of getting the axles lowered on these. The cost to do it might be more than the mustang2 [​IMG] It is a massive straight axle.

3. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I like that grill.

The front axle is under the springs. Blocks will make it higher not lower. Dropped axle is probably the best bet. There is only a couple inches between the rubber bumper and the frame to start with.

I've heard of people removing leaves, but these things roll so much cornering already that I would not want to reduce the resistance the springs represent.

4. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

many places have drop axles for these now, up to 5 inch ,about 340.00 to 380.00,or use the stock with drop spindles, they make them also. or a single leaf and the stock axle, springs coct about the same 3 to 4 hundred, i am stil lthinking about what way to go also,i have a 50 chevy and 51 gmc

5. Winfab

Winfab

OldSub..I checked out your website and your red truck stance is perfect in my opinion. That was just mocked up?
    I guess it was darker under the GMC than I thought. I thought it looked like the spring was under the axle on the front, like on the rear. Guess I forgot my head was upside-down! Doh!
    So-o-o-o, it seems that Mustang II might be the way to go. Anyone on here used a Speedway crossmember with or without drop spindles?
    Thanks again!

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If you're gonna do a front swap get in touch with ElPolacko he has kits or just crossmembers for those trucks.

7. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    OldSub..I checked out your website and your red truck stance is perfect in my opinion. That was just mocked up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you liked the stance, that was my goal in creating the photos. Its only photoshopped so far, based on photos taken the morning that we blew it a part. Currently all the pieces are within a 100-foot radius.

I hope to finish the frame this next summer and get started putting it back together.

8. Put me on the list of liking the GMC grill. There is the option of putting it on an S-10 frame. There is a thread in the TechOMatic on this. Here's a pic of JohnnyLongHair's 47 GMC on an S-10 frame.
    Clark

Attached Files:

9. Winfab

Winfab

Thanks for the responses. I'll check out the Tech-O-Matic thread on the frame swap.
    I should have left out my grill comment.....