Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Lowered Car.... Lower Bumper???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Dec 29, 2008.

1. tankwilson

tankwilson

Well guys thanks for the input on the gas cap. Now another question. I just got done C notching the frame so that the rear part will lay frame. Will do the front next year. Can i lower my bumpers so that the car looks even lower. If so how would you do it??

Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

get some skirts, it will make it look lower. and cool as shit.

3. dannyego

dannyego

What about moving them in a little. I did that on my 50 dodge and it made a big difference.

4. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I'm not sure lowering the bumpers would make it look any better. It might make it look lower, but will throw off the lines I think. Ever seen a 4x4 with a shitty body lift? The bumpers don't look right and leave a gap.

I like Dannyego's idea of moving the bumpers in.

Nice car BTW...

5. tankwilson

tankwilson

Sorry but skirts are for chicks. So.... Move in.... Not down. Hmmm

6. dannyego

dannyego

Can we get a photoshop for the man???

7. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I hate skirts too.... the only good place for skirts are:

(A) The ones hanging in the rafters of your garage... that got there within 5 minutes of purchasing your car...

or

(B) The one next to your bed you just took off your chick... that got there within 5 minutes of saying hello...

Disclaimer: Skirts look good on some rides... just not this one.

8. 'Mo

'Mo

9. tankwilson

tankwilson

I like that car. See how the bumper is as low as the rest of the car. Can i do that or is my car just not right for that????

10. If you are only talking about an inch,it might be okay. Anything more than that and it might look goofy...

11. hollowpoint

hollowpoint

[​IMG]

looks pretty damn cool with skirts on it if you ask me...and looks a lot lower in the rear, too.

later dudes
    chuck
    :D

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

We modified the bumper brackets to not only lower the front and rear bumpers on Big Olds but to bring the bumpers in closer to the body as well. I think it made the whole appearance of the car seem lower.

IMHO if you are going to put skirts on the car you need to lose that stone shield on the rear fender.....BTW....I'd lose it either way.

13. tankwilson

tankwilson

Thanks Denise. Funny you should say that, ran with out it for the first half of last year. Does make the car look longer. Not a big fan of skirts though. Can you post a pic of the big Olds? Got any before and after???

Thanks

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

You have the height about right. Skirts will make it look better and lower. Lowering the bumpers will actually make it look .........uh.........

15. BadLuck

BadLuck

I think the skirts look bad ass....if its no to the skirts, youve got to figure a way to get the rear down more! Very cool car.

16. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

As a chick, I can say you're half right. Bombs and customs need skirts too.:p

17. DHD

DHD
    from Ottawa, ON

Yeah, dropping the bumpers down will only make it look bulkier. Moving them in would be cool, skirts would be nice, but I really think you should wait until you complete the drop, then all your worries should disappear...

18. archiemeboy

archiemeboy
    from Iowa

Maybe try getting a taller bumper. Leave the top where it is at and the bottom will hang lower giving a lower appearance. Or maybe ripping the one you have and putting a 1 or 2 inch filler in it to make it taller.... just my 2 cents, but along with the others if you are gonna modify it definitely move it in....

Later........

Archie...

19. geemann51

geemann51

I think you can if you don't pass the lower body line of the car too much, as mentioned maybe just an inch. I personally fon't like anything that looks slapped on a car, but really like the look of a flush mounted skirt. With that said, lose the stone gaurd....

20. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I'm a big fan of skirts on cars of that style. Very "Westergard", in my opinion. If you're dead set on having no skirts, then I would tuck in the bumpers. Do you have any pics with the car slammed in the rear? That would help. Leave the front up for a nice tail dragger feel. Just my opinion. Of course, opinions are like 350 Chevy engines. Everybody has one and they all think theirs is the best. Do what you like, but I think bringing those bumpers in would make a huge difference. Making them taller might just give it a bulky look like a tow bumper on an 86 F150.

21. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

They make brackets for lowering bumpers ,4x4's round here use to do it,when they started bitchin about height limits,,MAIN thing watch how much you lower and how it will ride in a transition in and out of driveways and such,,as it looks you should be able to cruise with no worries,,low and nice is one thing,,being laughed at cause your bumpers are getting trashed going in an out of the Mickey D's drive way is another,,,Function and form

22. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Depends on your priorities....
    Do you want ALL the sheetmetal to lay on the ground?
    OR
    Do you want something with decent proportions?

Tuck the bumpers IN a bit, but not DOWN.

23. skirts would look rad on that car. suck the bumpers in. not down.

24. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I welded 2" x 3/8" flat stock on the top my Merc front bumper frame hangers and drilled the mounting holes in the flat stock; then just bolted them on. Dropped it about 1" to 1-1/4". Top of front bumper is about 1/2" above the pan.

Added a pic:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  25. Orn

Orn

Here I put the bumpers down and in a bit and slammed it.

[​IMG]

26. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Once you get the back down all the way, I don't think you will need to lower the bumper. The rear bumper on my old 49 Dodge was only about an inch off the ground with it laying on the frame.

Attached Files:

27. tankwilson

tankwilson

I think your right. I just took a look at her on the ground and the bumper doesn't look that bad. Will probably lower it some but not much.

28. Tank,
    Do you have any pics of how you did your notch? I would love to see how you did yours.

BTW...I think you could lower your bumpers a bit. One way would be by extending the rear of the rear fenders lower where they taper up at the end. Then you could lower the bumper so the bottoms match up.

Thanks,

BloodyKnuckles

29. Big Block Bob

Big Block Bob
    from BC, Canada

Looks killer as is I would leave it.
    Nice ride.

30. tankwilson

tankwilson

I get the car back from my mini trucking buddy this weekend. He is the one that did the air bag setup a couple of years ago and just did the C notch for me. Will get some pics as i have to weld the trunk back in. I get it back sunday and will keep you guys posted.

Thanks