Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowered "A" with stock brakes..

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joey Anchors, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

I'm planning out a '30-'31 Model A build for the coming year/s. My goal is to keep the drive train (along with stock wheels - no fender high boy) and stock braking system.

After doing some reading I think I'll be going with reverse eye springs front and rear. What I don't know is with the plan to put in RE springs and hairpin radius rods will I still be able to run the stock mechanical brakes?

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

Yes. But for aesthetics, I'd stick with the stock wishbone.

Joey Anchors likes this.
  3. Check the archives on fordbarn.com and if you can't find anything try a post there. It has been discussed there in the past by guys building speedsters. My choice would be to use hydraulic brakes for safety.

Charlie Stephens

Joey Anchors likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think Elrod did a post a while back on doing mech brakes on a dropped a that was pretty comprehensive Id do a search

Joey Anchors likes this.

5. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

Thanks guys!
    I just tried a search and nothing came up. I would love to read that thread.

6. ^ me too I turned up nothing and I am interested as well.

7. Juggler

Juggler

8. CTAV8

CTAV8

9. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

10. Easiest way to lower is with a 32-6 axle...gives you approx 1 1/2" of drop. Coupled with a reverse eye spring and the removal of a couple leaves, you could easily have 3 3/4" to 4" of drop. If you go this way, you can either use 32-4 spring perches or make small extensions to lengthen the mechanical brake tab on the stock A perches.

Here is the most common set up using;
    • 32-6 axle
    • 32-4 spindles
    • 32-4 perch pins (a bronze bushing is needed to reduce the size of the 32-4 perch to accept the Model A shackle - I'm using McMaster Carr part# 6381K5, cut to length)
    • Model A king pins
    • Model A brake actuators
    • Model A spring
    • Model A wishbone (a 1/4" spacer is needed to take up the difference between the 32-4 axle and the Model A wishbone - I used McMaster Carr part# 91201A036)

[​IMG]

To use a dropped axle, you'd need to make sure that the axle was also stretched (aka stretch-dropped). You'll need to make an extension to lengthen the brake actuator mount when using either the 32-4 perch or the Model A perch.

Here is my setup - copied directly from @woodiemike's thread "Lakes Pictures P.R.C." using;
    • "Dago" dropped & stretched 33-6 axle (dropped approx 2 1/4" over a stock 32-6)
    • 32-4 spindles
    • 32-4 perch pins (with '39 Ford front shackle plates as spacers to align brake actuators)
    • 32-4 king pins
    • 32-4 brake actuators (shock mounts on the 32-4 spring perches may need to be removed for brake rod clearance)
    • Model A spring
    • Model A wishbone
    **Steering arms will need to be bent for clearance with most dropped axles. Here is mine (mocked up) - still need to bend steering arms, weld shock studs onto the axle, and remove the shock mount from the spring perch.

I'll also be running a reverse eye spring for a total of 5" of drop - the most seen on mid-late 1940's hot rods.

IMG_20150416_141330.jpg

Hope this helps!

Dannerr, Joey Anchors and CTAV8 like this.
  11. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

I'm currently building the same front suspension as gwhite. For the 34 Perch bushings I cut down Model A rear spring bushing both in length and OD.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  12. Here's another view of the dropped axle/mechanical brake setup, copied directly from the Wilmer McNatt roadster shown in the "Lakes P.R.C." thread mentioned above. Still need to heat & bend the steering arm and cut the shock mount off the perch, but otherwise, it's identical. (Original set up on the left - my 're-creation' on the right)

Brake Setup.jpg

Joey Anchors, CTAV8 and Carter like this.