Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowered '57-60 F100's (old school)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Humboldt Cat, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I would like to build one of those for a shop truck but I keep finding either really top notch trucks or pure junk in my area but they are really bad ass bodys.

2. neo_pop_71

neo_pop_71

Hey gang,

Thanks for continuing to throw in, I'm seeing some great examples for inspiration and the first hand tech help/advise has been super!

Roseboystoys:
    Do you have any larger pics of your truck? I checked your profile and didn't see any. I'd like to get a better look at the stance of your truck. Going with mono springs all around seems mighty straight forward.

Javier In A Truck:
    Sweet truck! I like the clean simple look, it's hard to beat nice chrome and black! I checked the pics on your profile, thanks for those, do you have a full side shot? Your suspension is similar to Roseboystoys but you went with a drop axle. How's the ride? No bump stops? Ever bang it hard and rattle your teeth? One way or the other, it looks great... I wish my turd truck was that nice!

Thanks for your time!

-DON-

3. Here's my '60. The specs are as follows...

Front:

• Street Rod Engineering crossmember
    • V8 MII springs (uncut)
    • 2" dropped spindles
    • 235/75r15 tires on 15" x 5" steelies

Rear:
    • Versailles disc brake 9" flipped on top of stock leaf springs
    • Leaf spring "de-arched" by age only.
    • 8" custom C-notch (bags aren't out of the question someday)
    • 235/75r15 tires on 15" x 5" steelies

Here's how he sits...very similar to Javier's truck. I started on mine way before dropped I-beams and such were available, or I would have likely gone that direction. Check out "lodaddyo"...he has a bitchin '58 that he lowered with cleverness and ingenuity on the cheap.

Here's mine in front, coke can for reference:
    [​IMG]

And the rear:
    [​IMG]

And a full shot:
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps, if only for comparison's sake.

BRT

4. neo_pop_71

neo_pop_71

Hey brother Todd,

Nice! Thanks very much for the reference shots, super helpful! It helps to see yours because my '57 has a '60 hood on it right now, now I know what mine will look like if I swap grills and headlamps. I like the '59/'60 hood mated with the single headlamps of the '57. I don't have pics because the hood is white, the body is the crappiest flat black you ever saw, and the tailgate I got from PAG88 is primer gray. A sad sight, hence no pics! BTW, the Moon Eyes should be eyeballin' a bottle of PBR or a Schlitz for that downhome feel. Also, the suggestion about "lodaddyo" was right on... I've always dug his truck! From where mine is to his, not sure that I'll get there.

Thanks again!

-DON-

5. Hey Don...my 11 year-old black DP90 primer is pretty sad also...don't beat yourself up too bad!

I don't know when my truck will ever look as good as lodaddyo's either, but I like how he approached the ride height...

I am planning on swapping my MII V8 springs out for some late 1980's Mustang GT springs, as recommended. My A-arms sag about an inch below proper geometry, and are pretty soft. I think this change, and possibly a sway bar in front, and I'll really like the way it drives.

BTW, I left my set-up manual steering. I wanted to keep a little bit of the "old truck" feel, as well as keep my engine compartment less cluttered.

Thanks, and good luck.

Todd

6. neo_pop_71

neo_pop_71

Thanks again BIGREDTODD, I appreciate your input. Man, I tell 'ya... it's hard not to get a little discouraged when you see so many amazing rides on the HAMB! Some of these cars are nuts!!! Some guys downplay it, saying it's just a little of this and that, but I'm finding that "just" is a huge factor in nailing the build. I appreciate modesty but c'mon!

If baseball was nothing more than throwing a ball... then how come everyone didn't have a 101 mile per hour fastball like Nolan Ryan (who could and did also hit home runs). He was a rare one, ones of the best pitchers ever and he was modest about his talent. We were season ticket holders when he played for the Anaheim Angels, I got to meet him a few times, super nice and down-to-earth guy.

I'm learning that there's a knack to these cars, building them, etc.. Maybe I'm still wet behind the ears but you and the rest of the HAMBers are some sharp characters! I'm grateful that everyone has been willing to contribute to this and other threads. This board is a priceless resource (especially to a FNG like me) and that's why I became an alliance member.

Thank you!

-DON-

7. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Don, You have to like to help others. Or at least warn them of what not to do! I try and do it right the first time. I drive my junk. I'll be headed to TN in it next month for the F100 nats in Pigeon Forge. Road trip!

later,Bill

8. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Neo-pop, love yer boundless enthusiasm, I couldn't say it better myself. Unfortunately I can't send over my project pics right now, will try to on a different computer tomorrow. I've been learning so much on my Camaro-clipped '57 frame, alot more work into the 'for-now' frame than ever intended, throughout, even if on-the-cheap, but will definitely make great stance to the next cab 'n bed or panel body.
    Last year (or 2) we flipped the rear springs, too, thought we could avoid C-notching, but not the case. We'll be doing that part soon, too, I'll document it.

Rat Pink- the swap's coming along, never as quick as one would hope, but along. B's help is priceless as you know (as has been yours, of course). Not a whole lot I can do 'til you release him from Santa Maria - which I seriously regret not being able to go - but workin around it in the meanwhile. ;) We cut out the towering motor mounts the prev. builders mega-welded from the clip, settin' to bolt the Olds straight into the GM clip, bringin it closer to the center o' gravity. Once the motor's locked in, can move forward with a different 'shaft and bending exhaust line to go with the Olds' headers. There's another crucial change we're in the middle of during framework, but you'll see it in person...

9. Here's my '57, And I've got an evil plan.

Attached Files:

10. I have a '59 that is all stock suspension I have been wanting to drop it and have looked at several options, one of them was the mopar clip option such as Volare, it would be the least expensive and I know a couple of earlier trucks around here that have gone this route and they seem happy
    But I don't see anyone here talking about it, is there something about this swap I should know, horror stories, difficulty,etc. any input would help. thanks

11. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

here is a couple of shots neo pop.thanks for the compliments:)

Attached Files:

12. A search under "Volare" should turn up quite a few posts. Look for ones by ELpolacko. He's a genius. I don't think Volare is a good option. Apparently 2003 and newer Crown Vic front ends are a near bolt-on deal. Lowers it about 5". There's a guy over on fordtruckenthusiasts.com that has a blow-by-blow on how to do it, with lots of pics. His is on a '67 or something, but it's the same deal as one of ours.

13. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Easier to do this now that Ive got a home comp again... A pic in there of the clip and the home-fabbed towering mounts we clipped out. They werent boxed, but mega-welded from the L-shaped base to the frame. In goes the Olds... I made a few attempts at fab'in my own mounts 'n shackles, but with no success ended up gettin a sweet deal on a new pair of stock mounts. At least I got lotsa practice, as they say.
    Donna:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  14. I just recieved my alliance member firewall tag!, wish I could have gotten on board sooner but I was , um , away at "college". Anyway this fellow Ryan seems to be of the most righteous sort .So now I'm just working with my accountant in preparation for my labor of love to begin. I will post photos & words just as soon as I am able.

15. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Describe to us in the meanwhile, whats yer ride?

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

the 460 lowered my truck a little too much

17. rat pink

rat pink
    BANNED

i like the pic in the industrial waste land !
    thats a cover pic if ive ever seen one!

18. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Yer right, RP- the rag in the water really completes the whole ambience. Ambiance? Ahmbee-onz.

19. Knoxville

Knoxville

My '60 F100. Reverse-eye Monoleafs up front, spring flip in rear, c-notched. Soon to get a 2 or 3" drop axle.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I went the MII route with a Jim Weimer kit after I priced everything to do the dropped axle. I also took out a couple leafs in the back and need to do the small "C" notch next.

Really like the way it drives.

Attached Files:

21. fat49chevy

fat49chevy
    from Onta Ca

i like this.

22. SERENate

SERENate
    from Spokane

Does anyone know where to get these rims and tires? Love this look!

23. SERENate

SERENate
    from Spokane

Love these wheels and tire combo as well! Are those just steel wheels with caps?

24. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Lowered my truck the same way as Knoxville. Still haven't decided on bullets or baby moons
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  25. davis574ord

davis574ord

nice lookin ride dude they also make dropped front axels and mono leaf springs for the front u can also move your spring hangers up higher on the frame which is what i did and it looks good, good luck bro!