Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowered 50 Chevy styleline and skirts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47streamliner, Jun 9, 2016.

1. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

My styleline is bone stock but dropped 3" .I have an opportunity to get some skirts for pretty cheap .

The question is will I have issues running the stock skirts if it's dropped ?

When I do my v8 swap I'll be changing to a 56 belair reared . Will that with the drop cause issues running skirts ?

If I'm good for all of the above what mods make it so you can't run stock skirts

Thanks guys !

2. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Granted, my styleline isn't running but I think you should have no problems whatsoever. The 56 rear end is the same width and as long as your wheels' widths and offset are in spec there should be no difference. The skirts are not any lower than any other part of the body so there should be no difference. Post some pics!

3. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

I kinda thought the same but wasn't sure about things like hub caps , spider caps , radial tire side walls , etc once you get up into the wheel well more .

If I bag it and have it lay rails on ground does that get me into the rub if I have skirts ?

4. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Skirts don't hang lower that your fenders and rocker panels.

5. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

I'm more concerned about behind the skirt .... Issues between the face of the wheel , tire , hub cap , spider cap , etc and the back side of the skirt when it's dropped. 3+ "

6. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

I have a nova rear in my Chevy and and ran the original skirts for a long time.

7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Perhaps some of the issues you are worried about really will not matter. If you are dropping 3" and installing skirts just how much of those spider caps will even show below the skirt?? You might be lucky if any of the wheel even shows below the skirt. Perhaps just install a trim ring on the rear wheels and don't use caps on the rear then you don't have to worry bout skirt clearance to caps back there.

Likely the issues to avoid when making mods is make sure that you so not install either a wider rear end, wider wheels or wider tires or caps that really stick out beyond edge of wheel.

As mentioned if you DO end up with clearance problems from this then changing the offset on rear wheels should clear any clearance problems to the skirts. Just don't put fatter tires under the skirts.

I had a 49 Chevy coupe many years ago when I was in High school & had the rear dropped way down with stock skirts & never had a problem with any clearance to the skirt. All I had for clearance problems was tailpipe tips going in & out of driveways.
    Jimmie

8. displaced_kiwi

displaced_kiwi
    from Olathe KS

I have a 49 coupe, original rear end, 3" lowering blocks. With a stock rear end and 3" drop, you cannot run too much offset from the outside lip to the center. I think the 56 rear end is the same width, so you will need to limit the offset if you get aftermarket wheels. But any standard chevy 15x5 wheel should work fine.
    For example I could not use 15x5 cragar 69 steel rims with 15x75x185 tires as they have too much offset and rubbed the skirts, so I went with 15" 1955 chevy rims instead. Like other guys said, don't bother putting spider caps on as they won't be seen behind the skirts. I'd buy the skirts and work out the rims to suit when you do your rear end swap.

9. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Thanks guys - I was actually looking at the cragar 69s so that's very good to know !

10. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Grrrr skirts I had found were very misrepresented , junk actually .

On the hunt again .....

11. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Hey Kiwi , were you able to use the 15x5 cragars up front ?

12. displaced_kiwi

displaced_kiwi
    from Olathe KS

They were ok with the 1 cut coil I had, but I can't say how they would go if the car was dropped more. I still have the wheels as I like them and maybe they will work on a future project, but no tires mounted to check again on the car. I bought them so I could run lincoln continental caps.
    I found some pictures with the cragars on the car to give you some kind of idea.
    IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg

13. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Ok thanks for the info and reply . I was thinking about running them up front and stock wheels in the back of they were gonna be covered by the skirts , if I ever find a nice pair .

I'll stick with nicely paint stock steelies for now .