Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowered, 2pc driveshaft, pinion angle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coffin creeper, Oct 9, 2005.

1. coffin creeper

coffin creeper

Does any one know if the pinion angle should be set the same with a two peice drive shaft on a truck lowered so the rear shaft angle is up not down like when it was stock height? I am putting a new rear end in so the pinion angle needs to be set anyway.

2. KoppaK

KoppaK

The pinion angle is as per one piece prop, parallel with gearbow flange. Front prop needs to be set so it is in line with the gearshafts. From the centre bearing back it doesn't matter if it goes uphill or down as long as flanges are parallel.

3. If you're saying the front shaft should operate at 0 degrees, I think that's incorrect.

Each u-joint should operate through a minimum angle of 1/2 degree.

4. KoppaK

KoppaK

Thats a new one on me, a lot of Euro stuff uses a rubber coupling instead of a front UJ. Can't see why it has to run slightly off, school me I'm intrigued.

5. DrJ

DrJ

That can be accomplished by offsetting the center support to the right or left. It doesn't have to be in the verticle plane.

And the (theoretical?) galling of the needle bearings in a joint that only moves a very little instead of rolling thru a good distance is why some makers, like Volvo went to the rubber joint...(think steering column rag or rubber joint for those who haven 't seen one)