Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lower would be buried

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by canadian, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

I have to vote for the dumb side. Just don't understand why someone would do this to a car or why anyone would think it looked cool.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like it, or not, it's not a fad, it's the future. That's all people ask me to do these days. You can welcome those who are taking the hobby forward, adding their own style, or fight rhem.

Your choice.

Special Ed likes this.
  3. That purple car. The grass is 8" tall or the wheels are in holes , the lady has no ankles or its been photo shopped

Speedy Canuck and 33sporttruck like this.
  4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

without the mini truck crown, the VW crowd, the future insurgent of "Stance" guys (aka yesterday, todays and tomorrow's youth).. there will be limited hotrods in our future, as the old guys die off someone has to pick up the torch and since you old guys are not donating your hotrods to the youth to get into the hobby (it is more expensive than ever) the auto interest has to come from somewhere and they will bring their version of it and melt it into the old iron..

Do you think the old hotrodders felt the same when hotrods were dying in the 60s/ early 70s because folks were doing new cars (super stocks and muscle cars)..

Movinman, Schnitz and gimpyshotrods like this.
  5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that car is a shining example of the stupidity of laying frame. this car has no trunk floor or wheelwells and the guy says this about it in his listing: " ......deletion of the quarter wheel wells and trunk floor to accommodate ride height,"... as if that is how it is done.

6. luckystiff

luckystiff

that purple chvy is awesome but not really that low. look at the fact the grass is pretty much all the way up the sidewall height in the rear and 2/3-3/4 in the front. figure a 5" or maybe more sidewall and put that car on pavement and it would look a good bit different. you also can't see the chicks feet at all. common trick for photos.

33sporttruck likes this.
  7. the picture came from here on the Larry Watson personal pics thread. Watson worked on a ton of extremely low cars. Just don't see the problem with just coming down another 1 1/2 or 2 to achieve what the original poster desires.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

no doubt there is all kinds of silly stuff out there,
    makes me appreciate this place even more.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  9. luckystiff

luckystiff

oh and i've done hot rods, customs, lowriders, mini trucks, vw's, motorcycles all my whole life. haven't played with a mini truck in close to 20 years but i've wanted a early 70s courier for a while now. to my knowledge my '80 dodge d50 was one of the first channeled/"bodydropped" mini trucks in the southeast as it was done in 90/91. i worked at a very traditional rod and custom shop with a bunch of 50-70 year old guys who had a blast helping do it. so yeah even me at 42 can see theres gonna be some influence from other interest from the young set. i'd bet if you did an honest poll i'd say a bunchof guys here under 50 have some of those influences...

10. your correct. and on the same thread there is a pic of the car in Watsons parking lot. But it shows the original poster some Ideas what his could look like.

11. The look and style is what is cool. If removing sheet metal is what it takes to achieve this than that's what it takes. Since when did removing/cutting floors and wheel wells become taboo here?

12. Maybe I look at shit funny- but it's the entire height of the sidewall of the tire on the rear where the grass is to the rim- Idk what that measures but its way more than 1-1/2 to 2" .

Then look at the CL of the front spindle in relation to the fender lip. Clearly again more the 1.5 to 2".

Not being disrespectful here so please don't take this the wrong way. I don't see this thru your eyes so I don't know what your eyes see here, but its obviously way different than what's being shown. The first thing my eye goes to it the relationship of CL wheel to rocker, every car too. Get that right and almost everything else falls into place for the kind of car that it is. Next is sidewall ratios to rake in the rockers. Skirts make a big difference here because they hide that and let you play with stuff without screwing that up. Lake pipes give a visual lowering and thickening of the flanks- flanks ratio to window height will make a car look chopped or phone boothy. Model A on 32 frame adds 6" to the flanks and gives a visually lower appearance.

Just once I want to see a car or mini truck sitting on the ground without the camber all jacked up and looking like it needs a tow truck

13. If you look at some of Watsons cars and many others from the 50s they are extremely low. Many had hydraulics and some of those could lay frame. Some had rockers and qtrs. extended downward. Just don't have a problem with the original poster wanting to go just a little farther to hide the frame.

14. Special Ed

Special Ed

Okay. Here you go. Wheel wells, trunk floor are all intact, and NO jacked up camber. It can be done, it simply needs to be ENGINEERED correctly.

My car in Encinitas.jpg

Muttley and luckystiff like this.
  15. norcal rizzo

norcal rizzo

Can we atleast be happy hes into something old and american instead of something new and imported? When I was young, I had the minis, I had the vdubs, I even spent a few years building lowriders, and thru all of those experiences, I ended right back where pops started me, hotrods and customs. For every naysayer, there was at one point someone older telling them it was wrong. If we always listened to older logic, where would we be? How many 50+ guys on here got the "rock and roll is NOT music" from someone? Or the "your gonna get yourself killed in that thing" when building your first? Do what you like man, just be safe about it. Always wear a condom when welding......

the metric system? never heard of it.......

Zaq, 33sporttruck and Arabie777 like this.
  16. Dang that's cool.

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

and that is fine, but when the result becomes something other than what is generally considered traditional here
    it is time for the poster to share his thoughts elsewhere.

lurker mick and 117harv like this.
  18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah...Take yer frame an' lay it over there...

19. blame it on the salt flat cars..... low as possible.

Some one on here said a line once that fits this perfectly.
    "Stance, how can you call that a stance? its just laying on the ground."

20. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Since he ask for information, not a hit over the head here goes.
    To lay body the body must be the lowest point on the car. here some options any of the following will work or a combination may be needed.

*You can channel the car ( cut the floor out of the car let the body drop down then re attach the floor. also requires dropping the core support.
    * Build a custom frame that is thinner than the stock frame witch will allow the body to be lowered more because when the frame touches it wont be as tall (some have even cut the lower part of the stock frame off to shave another 1/2 to full inch.
    * Full Z or Z'ing the frame- that's when you cut the front frame clip off, cut rear frame clip off and raise those section up into the body, this can also be done with a custom built thinner center section of frame tying the front and rear together.

Every car is different some like my 53 the body is almost as low as the frame, other cars the frame is taller and the body sits a lot higher.
    All of the above have been done before and even back in the day, maybe not to the extreme lows of today, but highboys have been channeled and frame mods have been done for decades.
    They are all a lot of work to be done right. safety is paramount.
    Godspeed
    MrC.

21. *Sigh* This is the same old story. Guys who were doing this stuff in the '50s and '60s tell it like it really was and get called liars by people who saw something in a book. The black '57 4 door that so many of you think is cool, looks like a dirty, rusted old parts car that someone stole the tires off of, to most of us older fellas. Why don't you take some pride in what you like and quit trying to say that it's "Just like BITD". It's your 21st Century Tradition. Embrace it. These ARE your Good Old Days, kiddies. Really.

22. Looks to me like the rockers on that Chev have been cut (rusted?) off. There's usually another 3-4 inches under there.

Attached Files:

23. The G00SE

The G00SE

Attached Files:

24. [​IMG]
    here's you another option. Molded in pipes, extended quarters. I believe this one had hydraulics or at least a business card that says so

25. [​IMG]
    don't forget low-rider style, needs just a little more down in the back also very low with any apparent camber issues

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  26. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

Thank you!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Dont forget the jacked up camber too

28. [​IMG]
    one more. I have always liked this car. Very low and cool. Looks like the side pipes are taking care of that gap issue the original poster had in question. A slight body drop would definitely take care of that for ya. But it is a good bit of work and will involve welding and fab skills but definitely worth it to achieve your desired look.

29. easily fixed with the flip of a switch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.