Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lower shifter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ben Chirco, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

I have 1930 model A i bought last year. I am trying to improve a few things. I like driving it around as much as i can. Its chopped.

I am not sure what kind of my seat mine is, but when i drive the car, my right lower leg rests on the B&M shifter. It starts to bother me and sometimes i kick it out of gear. It originally had a hurst handle on it forming a T, that really hurt. I am wondering if there is a lower shifter out there? Not a lot of room in there. The pictures are deceiving.

I know my options to cut this shifter down or change the seat so i dont need to sit bow legged. Any other ideas?

Thanks again for the help.
    shifter.JPG shifter1.JPG

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

The early mustangs had a low type of shifter,it would bolt flat to your floor,it had a T type of handle on them.it is fairly simple to hook up,just has the lever sticking out of the bottom,has a bezel with the letters for PRND12. They were quite popular back in the day,would be worth a look,should be pretty reasonable cost as well. Harvey

3. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I assume that shifter has a cable. Can you move it over to the right? Or farther back?

4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Get the shifter out a mid-late 60’s dodge van or car that mounts on the dash

5. alchemy

alchemy

A 350TH? How about a tail mount Gennie shifter? It will move the shifter closer to the seat and away from your knee.

Tman and Jibs like this.
  6. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

All right. Thanks again for the help. There is a here lesson to learn. Evaluate your problem completely before asking for help.

I assumed that the shifter was hooked up by some linkage that would be difficult to move. I did not consider that this is a hot rod and that it is not an original car with perfect fitting pieces.

I started preparing a mustang shifter i have on the shelf to install when KevKo said "I assume that shifter has a cable. Can you move it over to the right? Or farther back?"

Thats when it hit me how my lack of experience is showing. Great answer. It looks like i can slide it back 1 1/2" without showing the cut carpet from the original location. That should do it. Had i looked at the problem first and not asked, I could have found the solution.

Thanks

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  7. Hey, that's why we ask questions here. The "stupid" question could be the one not asked...

8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Look for a Hurst Autostick I shifter.. Nothing like it!

9. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

I will wait for winter to do the work. I will add some information to this thread in case someone later on has a question related to this. My th350 has a cable connecting the transmission to the shifter. There is no linkage. Therefore, the shifter can go anywhere I want it to go.

Thanks again

10. I believe that shifter is what is called the star shifter. Yes, cable operated as you figured out.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone