Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Low Riders, Zoots Suiters and "Pachucos"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Clik

Clik

With the upcoming 80th anniversary of the Zoot Suit Riots we can expect to see a lot of "Pachuco" style cars (for lack of a better term) on parade.

Being an East Coast guy, I am not hip to the terminology, culture or what might be offensive or not, so, I'm here to be educated.

What term designates the big skirted, visored, cars of the zoot suit days from the later low riders?

Can anyone point mee to a good article on these cars and the cultural significance? No videos please.

Outback, Ned Ludd and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I have a New York newspaper with a headline about the affair, I'll try to find it. Fairly sure cars had nothing to do with things, clothing style that was worn by one group and intolerance by another.

Bob

3. Clik

Clik

Yes, I haven't seen where cars had anything to do with the Zoot Suit riots but apparently, it's all part of the whole recreation and remembering an era. Sort of like poodle skirts to a 50's car show.

chryslerfan55 and abe lugo like this.
  4. LAROKE

LAROKE

I don't know what they were called then (or now) but when I hear the term "Bomb", that's what I think of and, yeah, I like them.

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm. I always thought it was "Bombe" (with an 'e')

LAROKE likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The heavily accessorised fat-fendered cars in the lowrider community are know as bombásticas, commonly shortened to just "bomb".

The term is shortening of the word bombastic, in Spanish. More or less "highfalutin".

While some in the lowrider community are enamored with that style of clothing, there is little connection between it, and the cars, save for the race of the population group.

I would strongly caution anyone who is not part of Pachuco culture to not casually use the term with anyone who is. It is not often taken in a friendly manner when delivered by an outsider.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not.

Saxman likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is far too complex a topic, and possibly inappropriate for this board to discuss.

That said, there is no "article".

Hispanic and Latino cultures are two groups with some overlaps, but with distinct origins, and neither are small population groups

Each has widely diverse cultural aspects, traditions, ect. Nothing can "sum them up", any more than even just the people on this board could be.

I have seen lowrider participation numbers here in The Mission District, on holidays, that outnumber the vehicle participation of Billetproof in Antioch.

Caution must be used here. We are talking about a proud population that the "prevailing culture" of this nation has at times chosen to unjustly marginalize.

The so-called Zoot Suit Riots were a series of attacks against this Mexican-American subculture, across the US, by uniformed US military personnel, and not a point that this particular population group might want to celebrate.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have been watching a lot of videos on youtube lately about this culture. I have always been interested in it. We have a large Mexican population here, but not a lot of the west coast culture. We have more Tex-Mex. A few lowriders, but no bombs to speak of. Mostly 60-68 Impalas etc.

Rand Man and Shalamo like this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Zoot Suiters were a style of the time. Their cars were modified for the time they were in and nothing more; the style lives on in quite a few circles. The “wars” were an unfortunate time in our country and the state I live in.
    The Mexican car population are very proud of their families and cars no matter the years. I have a lot of acquaintance’s who have both modern and early “low riders”. I appreciate all of their work.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    Dean Lowe, fauj, mrspeedyt and 5 others like this.
  11. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best way to encourage people on the Internet to talk about something is to tell them it may be inappropriate to talk about it.

12. 62rebel

62rebel

I've always dug the cars and the work put into them. They may not be the fastest or even practical at times but they are excellent examples of workmanship {for the most part} and effort. something to gain from checking them out. Politics aside.

mrspeedyt, pigIRON63, Texas57 and 3 others like this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

I had to do some googling. Interesting stuff I never knew about. I did come across a 2014 post saying the suits were not legal to wear in LA.

14. CA. 280

CA. 280

62nova, s.e.charles and 302GMC like this.
  15. Cooon

Cooon

62rebel likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that you missed the point of my comment.

This is a hot rod and custom site. It is here to discuss those things.

It is not a place to discuss complex racial and sociopolitical issues. The board owner and the moderators have made that very clear. Attempting to guide the discussion in that direction, or continue in that direction can, and has a demonstrable history of getting threads closed and/or deleted.

When in doubt, stick to the cars, and only the cars, and I suppose the trucks, too.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    Outback, fauj, Texas57 and 14 others like this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Paging Edward James Olmos to the house phone.

mario711 and Special Ed like this.
  18. Special Ed

Special Ed

Saw him perform live in 'Zoot Suit' back in 1979 at the Aquarius Theater in Hollywood, before the play moved to Broadway. Yes, there were quite a few 'shorts' parked at the curb in front of the theater ... ;) sensitive subject.

19. 6F3F433F-3CA8-469E-88DD-7630EF2B87C0.jpeg 74342916-DCA8-44B7-A43E-32AC90C78950.jpeg 35FCB5E2-8121-471C-90FA-534CAD3B60E3.jpeg 35656F94-F925-481E-97BC-D9A8DCF08227.jpeg 207B15E8-0806-4C7F-A231-6D546494A953.jpeg C74AB85E-C316-471C-B905-B6B506DE3468.jpeg

Political and cultural stuff aside .

the BOMB community builds their cars to a very high level of quality , with every dealer and aftermarket doo - dad stuck on . A bit over the top but still with class and taste .

not a hot rod or a custom but a very well put together example of a nice car .

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

A couple of years ago I was in Santa Fe NM and dropped into the Palace of the Govenors Museum and witnessed on of the finest low rider displays ever. Espanola NM is consider the home of low riders and the film clips of builders as well as owners was very informative. This was the lobby display!
    6061C429-AE64-489E-A699-097AA9564DE4.jpeg
    B9B68159-4685-4272-ACA6-3FCE728A204F.jpeg

21. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

22. banditomerc

banditomerc

I'm a East los angeles native..grew up around the bomb and lowrider scene. But if I drove 15 min up iconic Whittier blvd ,into city of Whittier, La Habra..then it changed and Hot rods up the wazoo.
    I invite those from other states not familiar with the "bomb" scene to check out a show when visiting Disneyland or other destinations on left coast..you.may like what you see and hear...oh , and taste! Orale.(later)

23. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Also an East Elay native, walked down to Atlantic and Whittier Blvds to see the greatest show on earth every weekend.

24. One of the things that is so cool about the Low Riding Culture is how family oriented they are. I also have the utmost respect for the work and craftsmanship that goes into their cars.

mrspeedyt, fauj, curbspeed and 8 others like this.
  25. Nothing wrong with celebrating the skills, talents and culture of car builders associated with that period of time or the folks that continue the tradition.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    mrspeedyt, SS327, fauj and 6 others like this.
  26. patsurf

patsurf

wow-they got all the girls!

Cosmo49 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. Car related question: it seems that Chevys are the dominant cars for Bombs or low riders. Is there a reason for that? Was it because Fords were more the hot rod crowd and so the Chevys became favored by the Bomb/low ride crowd? Never heard an explanation for this.

I do like and appreciate the Bombs especially, but the quality of work and pride in ownership is admirable. I used to live in San Antonio and Albuquerque and did attend a few low rider type shows. The family aspect is quite evident and the shows were fun to hang out and participate in, even if my hot rods were a different style.

28. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Quality of work and attention to detail on display.
    20220425_161206_resized_1[9264].jpg 20220425_161149_resized_1[9257].jpg

oldiron 440, FishFry, fauj and 10 others like this.