Register now to get rid of these ads!

Low front end with spring over??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoBrow, Apr 16, 2007.

1. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

I was curious the best way to get the front end somewhat low while still using a spring over axle setup?? I am in the middle of building my frame and using a CE 4" dropped axle, Slider style spring, and a stock styled model A cross member. I have my front suspension in and it sitting on the tires and it is sitting way too high! I think the spring is the problem as its really tall. What are some other options for a spring?? I removed 3 leafs and it came down some, but I'd like it to come down atleast another 4". I am not entirely sure what application my spring is for. Any help is appreciated....Thanks

2. I got a dropped A main leaf I'll trade ya. I need a high arched spring.:D

Get your main leaf dropped and or the eyes reversed that should help a ton. The idea behind spring over the axle is to not go low BTW.

3. If you have a 4" dropped axle, and a reversed eye spring, running 25" diameter tires, the top of the model A crossmember will be 12 1/2" of the ground at the center when you get the load of a small block chev V8 setting on it.---The spring will deflect about 1 1/4" when it takes the load of the engine. If you want your frame to set lower than that, you will either have to change to a suicide style mount or Z the frame just behind the front axlelook at my post "how to build an early hotrod frame" (use the search function)

4. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Sorry I was in a hurry when I originally posted. My frame is a 2x4" tube frame and the front is kicked up 4". I am running a 29" front tire, and a reversed eye spring. I am also using split wishbones.

I understand the spring over design is not meant to go super low but I think it should definatley be lower than what I have. (To the bottom of my frame rail it is approx. 14") I have my engine and trans sitting in it and I assume with the complete engine, cab, interior and etc...it will drop slightly. My engine is a big block Chrysler and its heavy! I dont want the thing to be dragging the rockers or anything just a slightly lower ride height. I have looked into super low mon-leafs, but I was curious if there were any alternatives for a front spring that gives a lowered ride.....When the suspension has settled and everything is down where it will be how far above the front axle should the main leaf be?? On this particular build, I'd rather use what I have and keep the spring over look, as opposed to the spring into the wishbones.

5. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Maybe a Monoleaf from Durant will help you some. I have a spring over 4" drop axel set up with one of these springs and it rides really nice.

6. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Yea I thought about a mono-leaf but heard the ride is terrible plus I am not sure if I am totally conviced they are safe. I plan to drive this thing a lot and would like it to be somewhat of a decent ride quality.

How low is your car? Any pics of your front end?? Thanks

7. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Can I see a picture of this? I am building something similar and have interest in this thread too.

8. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Here is a shot of my car.

As far as the ride goes, I think it rides great. I drive the car allot. I put 5000 miles on it last summer after getting it on the road and will probably double that this summer. My father in law has one on a 32 coupe and it rides just the same.

Attached Files:

9. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

What did you use for a front cross member?? Is it flat? What is your actual front ride height?? Thanks

10. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

The crossmember is not flat, It is an A style crossmember from Total Performance. I just went out and measured some stuff. I measured the front crossmember at the back side. It is 11" at the top in the center. The top part of the frame rail where the spring sets under the frame is12.5". The tires are 25" tall.

11. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Thanks for the picture. I read a few things including an article from Eaton Spring and it seems theres a lot of saftey issues with running a mono leaf. I plan to drive this one a lot, so reliabilty and saftey is a big concern.... I talked with Vaphead for a bit yesterday and he gave me some pointers and I am going to try and see how far I can get it down with the spring I have...

12. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

If I were Eaton Springs I would say Monoleafs were the devil too. They dont make any.

I see the safety point of "if it breaks"though. I drive my car allot, but it has never crossed my mind.

my father inlaw had a perch eye break, but his mono was just fine.

Is there any first hand stories on here about them breaking, and what happens when it does? Just curious, I am not changing, but curious.

13. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Are you looking for a truly lower front end, or just more rake? easier to take a little/ give a little, so to speak...if you are looking for the latter...they are making 5" drop beam axles, now, too...$$$, though!
    or a 6" drop tube, unless you want the beam look...

14. Brian C

Brian C

FWIW I have a mono-leafs front and rear in my '47 Ford Sedan and the ride is fine.

As far as safety I agree that Eaton is saying their not good because they don't make any.

Remember that only 1 leaf is actually bolted to the axle anyway. Now I know that folks are going to chime in and say that with more leaves it's safer because if a small one breaks then it will still hold together. I have seen folks use various safety items to keep the axle under the car such as chains and steel straps.

15. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Actually Eaton does offer some mono leafs. Here is the article I read:
    http://www.eatonsprings.com/monoleaf.htm

I dont want this to turn into a debate on mono leafs. Its been discussed on here before and like everything else, something that works great for one person may break for another.

16. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

The 5" drop I beam is a good idea, I forgot about those. I have seen them and they look great.

17. lik2writ

lik2writ
    from NY

So-cal has a really low arch, but I don't like the slider look. I e-mailed Eaton last week about making a low arch, but haven't heard back yet.

18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I use a lot of Posies super low front springs and they make it in a rolled and tapered spring so the sliders don't show. Sits about like the monoleaf, maybe just a tad higher.

19. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

My CE spring has the reverse eyes and is from what I hear the lowest spring they have for the axle I am using. Can you give me some more info on the Posies super low hidden slider springs?? Thanks