Register now to get rid of these ads!

Low buck, home built dual plane HEMI intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 6, 2009.

1. budd

budd

i have been watching for this thread to return as well, a video of the car running/driving would be great.

2. panic

panic

the dual plane design keeps each side isolated so that the intake pull from a cylinder on one side of the intake will not pull fuel away from a cylinder on the other side of the motor

Close, no cigar.
    Read my article: http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/intake-tech-c.htm#dp

3. english rob

english rob

yep thats a mint looking manifold hours of work and it's all yours thats what the garage is for top banana

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Man, I got a lot of laughs out of this thread! I can't believe that there are that many people wondering how this will work. Put it on, run it, and build another if you don't like it.

I love the manifold, and would rather run that then some store bought one. I'd definately feel different if I was building a record setter, but then $1000 for a factory manifold would not be an issue.

Amazing work.

I'm building a flathead cadillac, and wanted a tri-power, so I sold my Burrell 2x2. I modified a stock intake to a tri-power. I still need to fill some welds, clean it up, and coat it. It's just a garage tri-power, and the pics are deceiving, because the bases apper not to be aligned, and at different heights, but it is an optical illusion. I'll run it, and if I don't like it, I'll start over.
    And I damn sure don't have the talent you do, wish I did.

Kudos!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2009
    hihunglo likes this.
  5. this is cool shit, i was lookin through a 1956 issue of rodding and restyling last night and i saw an ad where they were selling kits to convert your factory 2 barrel intake into a tri power for 5 bucks. the kit consisted of two carb flanges with tubes welded to them, you just cut your intake with a hole saw and weld on the new pieces and bam! you got a tri power. haha

6. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Indawaitinroom, you should post pics of that ad!

I still think this is one of the coolest intakes I'vre seen!

7. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Nice project.

Looking at the first pics of the intake, my only 'concern' would be the three 3" high roundtubing on the right-bank.
    I would think the pass.side ports of the carbs will 'see' or feel a better vacume-signal from the motor than the drivers side.
    I'm comparing the tubes with a spacer on a manifold. Usually, when working with a 4-bbl intake, adding a 4-hole spacer will increase throttle response and low-rpm power.
    Now, with the fabbed intake, only the pass.side of the carbs will 'see' such a spacer, and thus see a better cylinder-signal than the other side where the carb-ports are closer to the log-chamber.

[​IMG]

Considering this possible difference in operation per engine-side, I personally would have put the 'logs' side by side, to illiminate the height-difference, and place the individual cylinder-tubes below these at an angle.

Any thoughts about this idea?

Attached Files:

8. Appleseed

Appleseed

My God! This post is beyond rad. Coolest fabs I've seen in months. Good show.

9. 73RR

73RR

Is this car running yet ?? Inquiring minds want to know.:D:D:D

10. Florian

Florian

Did he test it yet? Awesome tech right there!

11. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Very impressive work.Shit I wish I had the balls and skill to build one.I know this thread was started in the beginning of the year but Im anxious to see the finshed product any updates?

12. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

A few years back I was trolling down the road and I saw a 62 Impala with a three duece setup sticking through the hood. One of coolest looking things I'd seen. It was pretty rough looking at first but the more I looked the more I liked. Then I decided to stop finally. Got out and looked. The guy came out we talked, he opened the hood and there before me was a Cad 500 cid with a custom home made intake three two barrels and all. Coolest darn car I have seen in a long time. Should have tried to buy it but was out of work at the time. Oh well..... Cool intake by the way. You get it runnin?

13. Florian

Florian

What´s up? Would be really interested in how it turned out?

14. 9 month's since an up-date bump

15. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

As a fabricator/Machinst myself in a former lifetime........I'm impressed!

16. freebird101

freebird101

17. crider

crider

Just found this thread. awesome work!! Is it running yet?

18. we need to know how it worked out :)

19. Gigantor

Gigantor

Man, that's awesome and I don't know how in the hell I missed this the first go round...

20. storm king

storm king

21. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Back in the 7os I made a triple for a flathead using tubes and quarter inch plate flanges brazed on each end .But how to make it look kool without big bucks ??? After giving it a smooth out , all over with a 120 poly flap wheel, I had it bright zinc plated . cost me 15 dollars and it really looked like polished looneymum .Kept it lightly oiled with wd40 to stop oxidization .

22. What inspirational talent, you have Dan. Thanks for trying something different, and sharing it with us (thanks to Kustombuilder too). I too am curious, if you've had a chance to try it out yet, as I'm convinced it will work just great, but if it doesn't, I'm sure it can be refined to make it work. Many successful performance parts have been developed this way, all through the "evolution of history", and I applaud you for showing us how it's done.

23. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

I just found this thread. Read through the whole darn thing and got so excited thinking that when I get to the end it has to have been run. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Man I got to see how this thing comes out. It will not be perfect but it will not be any worse than some of the crappy factory manifolds that have adorned our favorite engines over the years. And it will do exactly what it was built to do. Run the car down the road to the next show. And maybe to the grocery store once in a while. Oh yeah. It's going to have some fart faced dude at every show pointing to it and telling his girlfreind that is a (place name here) manifold like the one he had 20 years ago. And he made 800 hp with it. I am so damn impessed with people that just walk into a project with a thought and saw and they come out with something like this. I built my own turbo system on my Trans Am and I still pinch myself that it actually worked. But this is just plain old school bitchin' cool. Gotta watch this thread for the fire up. It's gunna rock!!! Mark L

24. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

That mofo is cool and it will be fine ya should of heard all the "pros" tellin me I could not narrow a nova sub frame 38 years ago it would not work or that I could not chop a 48 buford fast back and make it look right cause only barris could, yer manifold is tits and it will be fine think about cold galveizin spray I,m pretty cheap and it looks good, fooled some "pros "on my nailhead keep up the good work...

25. Last update was 2-03-09

And now a 12 month plus bump for an update ???????

Come on guys whats going on lots of people want/need to know

26. we are gunna keep buggin ya till we know.:D

27. 73RR

73RR

We're still waaaaaiiiiiiiiittttting.....

28. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

What he said...

29. 94hoghead

94hoghead

outstanding....

30. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I fabbed a couple manifolds in the past but this is really clever and I'll bet it's going to be very functional