Register now to get rid of these ads!

Low buck gmc build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dannyego, Mar 21, 2015.

1. dannyego

dannyego

I got a free 90's Volkswagen Golf from a guy I work with because "the motor was locked up" turned out to be a frozen alternator so $150 later I was able to sell it on Craigslist for $2,200. I decided to see how far I could get on a project with $2,200 and try to not go over. I picked up this gmc on ebay last fall (starting now because I have no garage. $700 for the truck and he delivered for $150 from Iowa. I immediately spent $950 on all the parts I would need (hopefully) So far I'm $1,800 in. And a lot of work to go. Here is the truck, wish I took a pic of the entire interior covered in shag carpet dashboard included. I also think I found a new record for bondo thickness ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426992382.583444.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426992418.634613.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. nice truck! i always wanted one of those in orange.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. dannyego

dannyego

Thanks! Not sure what color it's going to be yet. I always wanted an orange one but now that I have it I'm starting to have second thoughts. Debating between orange, candy blue with silver metal flake roof or black with gold metal flake roof. Really having a hard time deciding but I have to buy the paint soon before the wife finds my truck money stash :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Is that entire piece made of bondo? wow.....

5. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Did you know that a plasma cutter won't cut Bondo? Ask me how I know.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

A magnet won't stick to bondo either. Walk around the truck & slide the magnet up & down around the truck & see where it sticks. That will tell you about where the bondo starts & stops on the body panels. I believe from the photos, that is the old GMC 305 v6 engine. Are you going to keep it? Its pretty tough from what I understand it just maybe fun getting parts.

7. Not a new record at all. I had a T bucket when I for joined the HAMB that had bondo at least that thick in places and it was slathered all over it. :D Also had a 1/4" boiler plate firewall. LOL

Looks like fun. Good luck

Oh someone put the oh shit handle on the outside and don't throw those westcoasters away someone might want them.

volvobrynk likes this.